iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

Glenn2 08-26-2017 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradnKaren (Post 3770624)
We're having the same issue. Best/lowest inside temp is 82 to 84. Opening the ceiling cover vents helps only marginally. We have two 13.5k BTU units. How did you get them to cover the upgrade to a 15k unit up front? We would gladly pay the difference. I'm thinking that would be a good time to add some ceiling insulation, also.

They did not cover the upgrade (cost) for the difference between the 13.5K and 15K A/C's. The 13.5K unit was replaced under warranty as defective.
How would you add insulation to your ceiling?

BradnKaren 08-26-2017 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glenn2 (Post 3771490)
They did not cover the upgrade (cost) for the difference between the 13.5K and 15K A/C's. The 13.5K unit was replaced under warranty as defective.
How would you add insulation to your ceiling?

Bad wording on my part, or maybe I misunderstood. I thought your a/c was working within specs, but you managed to get them to replace it under warranty, with you paying for the 15k BTU upgrade. I was just asking how you got them to pay to replace a working unit under warranty.

As for adding insulation, I was thinking while the a/c was out that any visible voids in the ceiling could maybe be filled with spray foam, or something. I don't know if it's possible. Was just brainstorming.

Troutkiller 08-27-2017 08:07 AM

I'm thinking the best solution to the heat is a coating on TOP of the coach.

However, I'm not finding a lot of information or consistent feedback from many people that have gone that route.

I've heard a little bit about coating with Rhinoliner. Also a couple of different thick reflective paint type products.

It would be worth $1,000 to me if it allowed me to keep my coach cooled enough such that the A/C actually cycled throughout the day set on 72-74 degrees

ldprice47 08-28-2017 02:02 AM

Just bought 2017 Challenger 37LX and was moving stuff from our old unit into our new one with the A/Cs going and noticed that the 13.5 just does not cut the mustard here in Texas. Went ahead and bought a 15K unit to replace the 13.5 up front. Hugh difference in cooling. One thing I learned a long time ago is that if momma is happy so are you, so worth every penny.

bronk 08-28-2017 02:46 PM

We have experienced cooling issues with our 38 ft. Challenger (2011) which has two 13.5 AC's. We have been to AZ and TX when it was very hot and experienced over 104 degrees for a few days here in KY this past summer. Here is how we have learned to cope with the hot temps in our MH:

We purchased a roll of REFLEXTEX (Home Depot or Lowes has it; during the day we close the vents on the rear (bedroom) AC; adjust the outlets in the bedroom, bathroom, and hallway thus redirecting more cool air into livingroom and kitchen areas. By using these techniques we have maintained a reasonable 73-75 degree environment during the day, and we reverse the procedure at night. It takes some experimenting and trial and error, but it works for us. Of course, it helps to limit opening door to outside too often as well. That REFLEXTEX should be a big help. Good luck !

Bronk

Webman9113 08-28-2017 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fluffybunny (Post 3762381)
I thought about cutting into the basement compartment as well but decided against it for exactly the reasons you were talking about. I knew for us the shower shuffle wouldnt work, just something I didn't want to deal with, so we went this way. I got it here https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Nomadic Fanatic on youtube is the one that originally used it and posted about it and I just borrowed his idea. It works very well.

The table and legs came from the container store, but you can find a similar one at Ikea, we dont have an Ikea near us to we went to the container store.

Awesome, thanks! :-)

Webman9113 08-28-2017 07:32 PM

RV Parks with Monthly Rates

I'm sure there's something better out there, but I couldn't find it, lol! Anyway, I put together a list of RV parks with monthly rates that I found by Googling and put the 290 parks I found on a Google My Map. I make no claim that this is all of the ones out there (I'm sure not!), but maybe it'll give folks some ideas for their long term adventuring. My wife and I aren't quite there yet, but we're counting the months... :-)

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...2g&usp=sharing

Mike in AZ 08-29-2017 03:42 PM

I know this is an old topic, but it's new for me. I just had the CHF and a Safe T Plus installed on my 2017 Challenger 37LX and I could hardly be happier with it. Took it for a test drive and the way it handles is so much more to my liking than before. I am looking forward to our next road trip so I can really see the difference.

Mike

tedgard01 08-29-2017 09:39 PM

Thor Challenger Owners Unite!

Does the Safe T Plus stabilize the front? Do they have something to stabilize the back as well?

Also, will that help if you have a front tire blowout?

What does it cost?

Thanks,
Ted

Mike in AZ 08-29-2017 09:58 PM

Hi Ted.

It does stabilize the front, and it is reportedly excellent in aiding you to continue going straight in a front tire blowout situation. I hope never to have to find out first hand though! It also reportedly minimizes the effect of passing 18-wheelers blowing us to the side.

I don't know of one for the rear. The CHF was done both front and rear though.

I paid $499 on Amazon for the Safe T Plus (Blue one for my rig), about $55 for the F-53 brackets for install. I also opted to pay a mobile RV Service tech to do mine, that was two hours labor, $220 for everything he did today. Worth every dollar.

tedgard01 08-30-2017 06:28 AM

Thanks

coolinthem 09-12-2017 10:40 AM

Too hot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradnKaren (Post 3770624)
We're having the same issue. Best/lowest inside temp is 82 to 84. Opening the ceiling cover vents helps only marginally. We have two 13.5k BTU units. How did you get them to cover the upgrade to a 15k unit up front? We would gladly pay the difference. I'm thinking that would be a good time to add some ceiling insulation, also.

The best thing you can do is solar film the windshield or add something to block the solar from the windshield and the side windows. That and close the bathroom vents.

Nanaimo 09-19-2017 11:28 AM

Change sofa bed to 2 recliners

Quote:

Originally Posted by PattyP (Post 3733284)
I don't think recliners are factory. We pulled out our sofa bed and put in 2 recliners with a arm rest in the middle. We love it! We still have the bunk bed over the drivers seat and we kept blow up air mattress from the sofa and we blow it up and put it on living room floor. Works good for us.

Wife and I want to do this. Question is where did you find chairs that could make it through the door?
Thanks!

Sanford 09-19-2017 12:22 PM

Recliners

They come in sections that allow for getting through the door. Go to RestoreRV. com and look at the RecPro series.