iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

john109 03-26-2013 04:02 PM

Thanks Don, you may want to post up your design it may work better for people who don't have access to wood cutting equipment.

DGShaffer 03-26-2013 04:28 PM

You want a design.... I'm working on a rail system that I plan on mounting my Coleman Road trip grill on so I can just pull it out and fire it up. :popcorn:
I'm using 3/4 x 1-3/4 Unistrut with 3/8" wide x 1-3/8" diameter bearings that will ride inside the strut like a track. All I need now is to get the MH back to the house to measure things and I'll be on my way to 5 minute grillin!

It has to be really long to get it out from under the extended slide and far enough away from the slide so the heat won't affect it. I priced out 60.00" slides and they were over $400!

camaromance 03-26-2013 05:13 PM

Hey guys, finally laid eyes on my challenger this afternoon. I stopped by the dealer to check out the paint job and was impressed. It's been 3 months at the dealer and paint shop. Almost forgot what it looked like. Tomorrow they are pulling the full body slide to adjust the cables. The tech just returned from Indiana after going to a school for the BAL slides and said the cables stretch after a year of use and need to be readjusted. Good thing it's all under warranty. A few other things are getting fixed like a new dinette table and shades. Hope to have it back by this weekend so I can get it ready.

Don, I'm really interested in the instant grill slide for your roadtrip grill. It's always been a PITA to set it up and tear down.

DGShaffer 03-26-2013 05:41 PM

That's great news Jim! Perfect timing! I'm especially glad to hear you're happy with the paint. I know that would be eating at me!

If the slide works out the way I hope I'll have to make a few and bring them to the Summer Challenger Rally at the Skyway Camping Resort 99 Mountain Dale Rd Greenfield Park, NY 12435 this summer :dance:

john109 03-26-2013 05:48 PM

Thats great news Jim sounds like you will have it back just in time for warm weather. :thumb:

Don tell me when I am in my only bad week is the first week in August we are going somewhere else that week.

camaromance 03-26-2013 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1509664)
That's great news Jim! Perfect timing! I'm especially glad to hear you're happy with the paint. I know that would be eating at me!

If the slide works out the way I hope I'll have to make a few and bring them to the Summer Challenger Rally at the Skyway Camping Resort 99 Mountain Dale Rd Greenfield Park, NY 12435 this summer :dance:

Sounds great. What is this summer challenger rally you speak of? Is this a hint of some sort?

bronk 03-26-2013 06:26 PM

V-10 Mileage

John, As I stated in a previous post, the gas mileage on this trip to Gulf Shores, AL was under ideal conditions, ie; no idle time due to accidents, construction and the like, no dash air to compromise mileage, very few hills once out of northern AL and lastly no time constraints to meet, thus a constant speed of around 62-5 mph. I usually don't do this well (over 8 mpg), so this was a pleasant surprise. Usually when we go to FL or to Maine we have stop and go, as well as times when we have to run the genny or the dash air. Overall, I am quite happy to get close to 8 mpg during those times. IMHO, I don't feel that modifications such as headers or other add-ons justify their high price for product and installation, but to each his own. I am a die-hard Chevy (GM) consumer, but have to admit the Ford V-10 is impressive!

Ron (Bronk)

john109 03-26-2013 07:11 PM

Ron, All things considered 8 is a great number I have a few friends running F-350 pick up trucks not doing much better. Some have said they get 8-10 mpg. So if I can get 8 out of my RV and towing the jeep I will be happy. Now if we can just get the price of gas to come down and things would be great. I just paid $3.70 a gal. today on the cape. I saw a story on the news a week or so back and they were talking about the price of gas in Venezuela it was under a nickle a gallon. Imagine putting 80 gallons in at .05 cents a gallon.:bow::bow::bow: Oh well don't think I will ever get to enjoy that one.

Jim I think Don is bringing up the M.A.G. I think it's a great idea.

camaromance 03-26-2013 08:40 PM

M.A.G. is a great idea. I'm wide open all summer. Haven't made plans past April.

Jimmy D 03-27-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1491029)
Real nice! Thanks for the "Plug" (get it?) :rofl:

Here it is installed. I'm diggin this much better with the stainless hardware!

Do you have your city water hose exit through the same hole as the waste hose? I still have the black tube attached on my Challenger and cant figure out the intended way the water hose should exit the bay with the bay door closed with out drilling a hole.

DGShaffer 03-27-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy D (Post 1510483)
Do you have your city water hose exit through the same hole as the waste hose? I still have the black tube attached on my Challenger and cant figure out the intended way the water hose should exit the bay with the bay door closed with out drilling a hole.

I haven't been camping in this thing yet but the plan was that they both fit through the one port. I would imagine that if you continue using their storage pipe that you would just close the door on the water hose

DGShaffer 03-27-2013 12:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my idea for the Gas grill mount. I'll have the MH at the house this weekend to finalize the dimensions but I should have a working prototype installed by next weekend

bronk 03-27-2013 01:43 PM

Great Posts!

Keep those ideas coming! Creative ideas and applications for modifications for the Challenger are most interesting. Although our floorplans may differ with the various models, many adaptations will work with any layout. As for the price of gas; I paid as little as $3.39 last week in AL and TN with the price here in KY (today - Wed) at $3.43 a gal. I always seems to run higher in the Northeast, especially CN and MA.

As for a "meet and greet" session this summer; we will be in the Bangor, Maine area for most of June and July, so if any of the Challenger United group would like to come to the area, I would be more than happy to recommend campgrounds and/or make reservations, etc. I realize that it is sort of out of the way for some of you, but Maine is really great weather-wise for the 2 DAYS of summer, July 4th and 5th! Just a thought!

Ron (Bronk)

DGShaffer 03-27-2013 06:45 PM

I just found my old Outlaw on the internet for sale at Camping World in Lakewood, NJ. She's pretty clean if you know anyone looking for a class A toy hauler :dance:

Used 2008 Damon Outlaw Class A Gas Motorhomes For Sale In Lakewood, NJ - LAK473977 - Camping World