iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

bdickson 03-27-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bronk (Post 1510552)
Keep those ideas coming! Creative ideas and applications for modifications for the Challenger are most interesting. Although our floorplans may differ with the various models, many adaptations will work with any layout. As for the price of gas; I paid as little as $3.39 last week in AL and TN with the price here in KY (today - Wed) at $3.43 a gal. I always seems to run higher in the Northeast, especially CN and MA.

As for a "meet and greet" session this summer; we will be in the Bangor, Maine area for most of June and July, so if any of the Challenger United group would like to come to the area, I would be more than happy to recommend campgrounds and/or make reservations, etc. I realize that it is sort of out of the way for some of you, but Maine is really great weather-wise for the 2 DAYS of summer, July 4th and 5th! Just a thought!

Ron (Bronk)

And we will be resident in Bandon Oregon from this Sunday through Labor Day, volunteering for US Fish & Wildlife Service and Oregon State Parks. Come find us in site B28 at Bullards Beach State Park.

DGShaffer 03-27-2013 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 1510792)
And we will be resident in Bandon Oregon from this Sunday through Labor Day, volunteering for US Fish & Wildlife Service and Oregon State Parks. Come find us in site B28 at Bullards Beach State Park.

Full timing and lovin it! Way to go :dance:

bdickson 03-27-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1510857)

Full timing and lovin it! Way to go :dance:

Yep, it's a tough life but someone has to do it! The Challenger 37GT is proving itself ideal for two people full timing.

bdickson 03-27-2013 10:23 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy D (Post 1510483)
Do you have your city water hose exit through the same hole as the waste hose? I still have the black tube attached on my Challenger and cant figure out the intended way the water hose should exit the bay with the bay door closed with out drilling a hole.

here are pictures of my solution.

DGShaffer 03-28-2013 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 1510996)
Yep, it's a tough life but someone has to do it! The Challenger 37GT is proving itself ideal for two people full timing.

I'm glad it's you! Can I assume you still have a conventional home or did you sell everything and hit the road?

My wife and I bought a house in Tennessee about 25 minutes west of the Smoky Mountain National Forrest about a year and a half ago. At first I was trying to find a place with room for an RV but more preferred a place in the hills with a mountain view and finding one with road access for a class A proved futile. When we decide to retire we hope to be able to spend 9 months traveling and 3 months enjoying the home. But you know the old saying "The only thing in life that stays the same, is that everything changes!"

Best wishes for a long, healthy and happy retirement :flowers:

bdickson 03-28-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1511233)

I'm glad it's you! Can I assume you still have a conventional home or did you sell everything and hit the road?

My wife and I bought a house in Tennessee about 25 minutes west of the Smoky Mountain National Forrest about a year and a half ago. At first I was trying to find a place with room for an RV but more preferred a place in the hills with a mountain view and finding one with road access for a class A proved futile. When we decide to retire we hope to be able to spend 9 months traveling and 3 months enjoying the home. But you know the old saying "The only thing in life that stays the same, is that everything changes!"

Best wishes for a long, healthy and happy retirement :flowers:

Nope, sold the house just over a year ago. Some furniture in a storage pod but other than that we are completely full timers.

DGShaffer 03-28-2013 01:32 PM

Yer livin' the dream! Happy trails!

camaromance 03-28-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1510784)
I just found my old Outlaw on the internet for sale at Camping World in Lakewood, NJ. She's pretty clean if you know anyone looking for a class A toy hauler :dance:

Used 2008 Damon Outlaw Class A Gas Motorhomes For Sale In Lakewood, NJ - LAK473977 - Camping World

Don, that is too weird. When I was at the dealer looking at my paint job on my KT, I noticed a very familiar looking class c in the next bay that was getting the rear window fixed. It was my old chateau which had sold a few months earlier. It was strange to see both of them there at the same time. I told the tech, I guess it was their day to work on all my broke stuff. It seems I felt like there was still a part of me left in the old one and I kinda missed it a little. That and I couldn't stand to see how dirty it was.

Too funny...

DGShaffer 03-28-2013 05:45 PM

I'm still hopeful that someone local will but it and show up over on the I Love My Damon Outlaw thread so I can tell them all about it's history. :flowers:

DGShaffer 03-29-2013 06:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I figured I post these photos for the de-winterizing of our ice makers. The tech that did my PDI showed me how to make a power cord to energize the solenoid in order to flush out the antifreeze as well as to allow you to winterize it with antifreeze. There's a 110 outlet right near the access to the outside of the refrigerator that I used to power the solenoid. I took a spare extension cord and cut the end off to allow me to crimp on two female spade connectors. You simply pull the plugs off the solenoid and connect the 110 power direct and water flows with the refrigerator off.

camaromance 03-30-2013 12:21 PM

Don, that's a nice mod. Wish I had an ice maker so I could use it.

All, Thor just put out a bulletin regarding the fresh water tank overflow. I had an issue with the vent hoses siphoning the fresh water tank dry while on the road. It happened to me a couple of times last season. It was less than awesome to have no fresh water when dry camping after a long day of driving and staying at a truck stop. I ended up clamping the hoses with some vice grips until we got to where were going. The dealer tried to come up with a fix but it didn't work. The system has now caught up to the problem and Thor released a fix that routes the overflow hoses from the fresh water tank all the way to the back shell of the coach, up a few feet and back down to dump out just below the back shell of the coach.

You may want to check on this with your dealers or get some vice grips if you plan on traveling with fresh water. I found that it makes no difference the level of water, it would siphon it bone dry and then air bind the fresh water pump.

I also need to let you know that if you do clamp your hoses, PLEASE REMEMBER TO UNCLAMP THEM BEFORE YOU FILL THE FRESH WATER. If not, it WILL explode and most likely total your mo-ho. The damage will be catastrophic. I seen the damage on diesel pusher and could not believe what I saw. The floor had pushed up a good two feet and pushed the walls through the roof of the coach.

DGShaffer 03-30-2013 05:48 PM

I've sanitized my entire system including the three sections of fill hose I use. Once the bleach did it's thing I filled and emptied the tank and lines at least three times using the water pump and tank drain valve. Having done that, when filling the tank I employed both over fill lines on the tank and once the water got to a level out of reach of the ports they stopped draining on each fill.

It's hard to imagine how they could siphon all the water out unless they had dip tubes running to the bottom of the tank. Am I missing some other way in which this could happen? Did the tank manufacturer construct the tanks with dip tubes to the bottom of the tank thinking that those were fill ports rather than vents?

bdickson 03-30-2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaromance (Post 1513643)
I also need to let you know that if you do clamp your hoses, PLEASE REMEMBER TO UNCLAMP THEM BEFORE YOU FILL THE FRESH WATER. If not, it WILL explode and most likely total your mo-ho. The damage will be catastrophic. I seen the damage on diesel pusher and could not believe what I saw. The floor had pushed up a good two feet and pushed the walls through the roof of the coach.

I gotta jump in here. This sounds like an urban legend. In the first place water is not a compressible medium. The most pressure that could exist in the tank is whatever the campground spigot provides, typically 40 or 50 psi at most. This is the pressure that exists in all the pipe work. Secondly, there is a corrugated overflow hose beside the gravity fill port, so there is no way the tank could become pressurized enough to cause damage like you describe.

camaromance 03-30-2013 11:17 PM

Well I know what I saw so its not an urban legend. I'm not the only one either. If you block off the vent hose and try to fill your fresh water tank, the air displaced by the water going in has nowhere to go until, that is, the tank decides to rupture.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/fres...nt-145374.html

"We did a $30K repair on a coach who installed a ball valve in the drain line to prevent siphoning from his tank"

It's not the pressure, it's the volume of water that does the damage. A 3/4 inch hose at 60 lbs is not that big of a deal. 75 gallons at even 45lbs of pressure in a plastic water tank is another story.