iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

Jolimon 01-17-2019 09:03 PM

Depends on what they have to say. I have been researching since we purchased the TT, this layout seems to have all we are looking for.

marcdohc 01-18-2019 05:10 AM

Dreams of a 37kt purchased in Boston.
 
I purchased a 2016 37kt brand new. After three years of ownership and 25000 MI, 20 visits to repair shops and approximately $10,000 invested in suspension, you might say I have a bit of knowledge.
Things to look out for,
chassis dog walk,
Hydraulic systems coming on by themselves while driving,
Big slide out cables scraping against small holes and snapping cables
Innverters is not operating properly
Water getting in exterior heat vent cover and allowing water to sit in the electronic board causing heat to come on constantly.
windshield wipers getting tangled up with each other
Shower leaking
Kitchen sink leaking
Window leaking
Shades falling off walls
Not nearly enough heat in the front room
Way too much heat in the bathroom
Dealing with the staff at Thor as your handed off from one expert to the next, Most of which now a lot less than I do.
I'm sure there's a few more things that aren't coming to mind, I have a list somewhere.
May I suggest either at Tiffin or Newmar.

Marc DeNardo Sr.
Cape Cod, Massachusetts

sbleiweiss 01-18-2019 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jolimon (Post 4593735)
We are heading to the Boston RV show this weekend and likely going to upgrade from our 2018 Mallard 245 TT into a Challenger 37KT. Anything I should watch out for?


We love our's. We agree it is the best floorplan for us. You will get the newer Ford tranny, which I hear is a big improvement.

BadgerRV 01-18-2019 07:37 AM

My DW and I looked at the 35MQ this week at the Tampa show. We absolutely love the layout and overall looks. In fact it's the only one DW likes. But I'm worried about the carrying and towing capacity. I have a 5500lb Ram 1500 and I'm afraid once I hook it up, there wont be any weight left to load the rig. Does anyone have any insight or experience on this? And I'm also a bit concerned about the Thor reputation and that we might encounter numerous quality issues. And experiences to share would be greatly appreciated.

Glenn2 01-18-2019 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcdohc (Post 4594732)
I purchased a 2016 37kt brand new. After three years of ownership and 25000 MI, 20 visits to repair shops and approximately $10,000 invested in suspension, you might say I have a bit of knowledge.
Things to look out for,
chassis dog walk,
Hydraulic systems coming on by themselves while driving,
Big slide out cables scraping against small holes and snapping cables
Innverters is not operating properly
Water getting in exterior heat vent cover and allowing water to sit in the electronic board causing heat to come on constantly.
windshield wipers getting tangled up with each other
Shower leaking
Kitchen sink leaking
Window leaking
Shades falling off walls
Not nearly enough heat in the front room
Way too much heat in the bathroom
Dealing with the staff at Thor as your handed off from one expert to the next, Most of which now a lot less than I do.
I'm sure there's a few more things that aren't coming to mind, I have a list somewhere.
May I suggest either at Tiffin or Newmar.

Marc DeNardo Sr.
Cape Cod, Massachusetts

Marc,
I have a Xantrex 1800 inverter that drops out after a random period of time. I am on my third one (all replaced by warranty). I am convinced the Xantrex can't carry the load of a residential fridge. I'm going to try placing a 12v fan close to the inverter to see if heat might be an issue. I did notice the 2019 Challengers have a different brand. Wonder if they are higher wattage.

PattyP 01-18-2019 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jolimon (Post 4593735)
We are heading to the Boston RV show this weekend and likely going to upgrade from our 2018 Mallard 245 TT into a Challenger 37KT. Anything I should watch out for?

We have a 37KT Challenger. They didnít have one at the show. We have had ours a couple of years now. The things we donít like are: shower too small, bedroom has no room to get around the bed even when slides are out, have had trouble with the big slide a few times, we traded loveseat bed for two recliners, unless you give up pantry, which I love! , you have no place to put washer/dryer, kitchen table is too close to bathroom door. We like the new FH. We canít afford to upgrade now.

IrihRed 01-18-2019 09:05 AM

We also purchase a 2016 KT new, our experience was great, no drivability problems at all. Minor slide issues, along with minor warranty items we took care of at factory when passing through. Thor was great on the phone and I took care of all minor items myself. We were fulltime for 17 months 18k miles. Did add sumo to the suspension and made a big difference. Hope this helps.

Jolimon 01-18-2019 09:46 PM

Thank you for the responses. 2019 is the final year for the KT and they didnít have any at the show. I spent quite a bit of time with the Thor rep on the 37YT. I now think that is a better fit for us. The L shaped couch would be very comfortable for movie watching. Getting closer to a final decision. What is everyoneís opinion on the extended warranty? They quoted me 6K for the 5 year warranty.

Tunes 01-18-2019 10:58 PM

Dash wires and vent
 
So today I removed the top plastic dash section over the drivers side on our 37KT. I am mounting a few mounts and running wires for a few of my electronics. Got tired of all of the wires and the clutter. Anyways, after removal I took a look around inside the dash and a few things. First there is a air/heat duct with a vent on the end of it just sitting inside the dash. I am guessing that its the driver side vent thats supposed to aim at the floor that was never mounted. The HDMI and USB port that is on the right of the steering wheel above the cab light, fan switches, the wires didít go anywhere, they were just coiled up behind the dash. Any ideas where these are supposed to hook up to? Any idea where the air/heater vent is supposed to be mounted?
Every time I go to do something to upgrade my comfort on this coach I end up finding things that where never completed from the factory and have to do a lot more work just to make things right.

sbleiweiss 01-19-2019 08:27 AM

[QUOTE= What is everyoneís opinion on the extended warranty? They quoted me 6K for the 5 year warranty.[/QUOTE]


You don't need one, but if you want one wait until the factory warranty runs out and then buy one from the wholesale places. Someone will give you the correct cite to them.

marcdohc 01-19-2019 09:32 AM

Did you finish your job in time?
 
From what I understand it's like a big assembly line at Thor. As a worker you have a certain amount of time to get your job done. Based on the amount of things I found in my motorhome that were not completed, I would say Thor does not give the workers enough time.
One of the grossest things I found was underneath the head of my bed. The battery charger is under there, it's the size of a shoebox. It was lying at an angle sitting on top of a nest of other wires. The four screws that were supposed to be used to attach it to the floor we're rolling around in the compartment.
Couple of the other things were the heat vent under the dash not aimed at the driver's feet, it was just blowing up there under the dash and the wires were never connected to my cell phone charger ports. There was loose wires in the hydraulic compartment. Had I not caught it they would have draged under the RV. I'd rather pay an extra five grand and give these guys enough time to do that job.

KC 01-25-2019 02:45 PM

Hi gang, I have two Frozen house batteries:( I plan on pulling them out this weekend. I have a couple of questions:

Can I run the generator/RV motor with out house batteries?

Has anyone installed a shut off switch in the compartment that has the house batteries?

Can I install larger batteries?

Thanks KC

Tunes 01-25-2019 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC (Post 4606113)
Hi gang, I have two Frozen house batteries:( I plan on pulling them out this weekend. I have a couple of questions:

Can I run the generator/RV motor with out house batteries?

Has anyone installed a shut off switch in the compartment that has the house batteries?

Can I install larger batteries?

Thanks KC

Your generator runs off the house batteries

RV motor off of the coach motor battery

From the factory your coach came with two 6 volt batteries but has room to install 4 total. You will have to do a few more connections

One of my next mods on my list is to install a proper battery discount switch

Check your Wofo charger that Thor installs and make sure it working properly. Mine was not so I upgraded to a Progressive Dyn and get yourself 4 Trojan T 105 batteries and make sure you check your water level monthly and you should be good

Frankc643 01-31-2019 09:16 AM

Hello fellow owners. I have a question for the masses. I recently purchased new switches for the electric awnings. One worked without issues. The other only retracts the awning. When I use the Rapid remote, I am able to extend and retract the problem awning. Any ideas? I tried flipping the switch upside down and reconnecting. I double checked my photo to make sure connections were the same as previous switch. I'm at a loss here. Got a request to JR Products for possible answers. I'm thinking possible failed switch. Thanks for any help.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.