iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

Sanford 08-09-2019 07:51 AM

We keep ours in a plastic tub inside the bin. Connect the ends to prevent odors. So far, no problem.

sbleiweiss 08-09-2019 08:26 AM

Welcome. You'll get both answers plus a plastic bin. Personally I just stow it in a basement.

bsheet2 08-09-2019 03:08 PM

Thanks for responses. I like the idea of putting it in a plastic tub. And connect the ends. At least for now.

bsheet2 08-10-2019 09:34 PM

charging battery

Trying to charge house batteries using a 15 AMP 120 volt outlet from my house. If I plug that in and turn the inverter off will it still charge the RV house batteries? The way I read the RV Owner manual it should. But hey, what do I know. I am a complete novias at this.

2017 Challenger 37YT

bsheet2 08-10-2019 09:36 PM

batteries drained

Last night I managed to drain my house batteries. Ran the generator most of the day. The house batteries only charged up to 2/3 capacity. Have I damaged my batteries?? Does it take a long time for them to fully recharge??

Hit_the_Rhod 08-11-2019 06:30 AM

If you have flooded batteries (standard lead acid, like your car) discharging them below 50% will reduce their ability to hold a charge. One time may be significant, but multiple times, time for new batteries. What is the history of the batteries? How old, have they ever frozen, how many times below 50% etc? A lot can depend on the quality/type of your battery charger as well. Good ones will charge at a high rate initially, than ramp down to a much smaller charge rate to bring the battery up to full charge.

bsheet2 08-11-2019 06:34 AM

batteries

Dumb me. The dealer supposedly thoroughly serviced the motorhome before we picked it up. Went back to basics this morning. Check the water level in the house batteries. They were very very low. Added about 1 liter of water to every cell in both batteries. Hope they are not ruined.

Stupid me. I assumed the dealer would have checked battery water as part of a prep. Well they didn't. Either that or the charger is over cooking the batteries.

bsheet2 08-11-2019 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod (Post 4905006)
If you have flooded batteries (standard lead acid, like your car) discharging them below 50% will reduce their ability to hold a charge. One time may be significant, but multiple times, time for new batteries. What is the history of the batteries? How old, have they ever frozen, how many times below 50% etc? A lot can depend on the quality/type of your battery charger as well. Good ones will charge at a high rate initially, than ramp down to a much smaller charge rate to bring the battery up to full charge.

Thanks for the response. Just purchased the MH. So no idea the history of the batteries. see my above post. The water level was very level. So not only that, I drained they way down yesterday. I will be shocked if the batteries are not toast. THey were showing a 2/3 charge this morning before I added water.

Filled with distilled water and they are on charge now. Will see.

sbleiweiss 08-11-2019 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsheet2 (Post 4904774)
Trying to charge house batteries using a 15 AMP 120 volt outlet from my house. If I plug that in and turn the inverter off will it still charge the RV house batteries? The way I read the RV Owner manual it should. But hey, what do I know. I am a complete novias at this.

2017 Challenger 37YT

they should, but you also have to be careful of what other things in the house might be drawing from that 15 amp circuit. 20 amp would be better if you can reach one.

bsheet2 08-11-2019 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 4905085)
they should, but you also have to be careful of what other things in the house might be drawing from that 15 amp circuit. 20 amp would be better if you can reach one.

Thanks!

bsheet2 08-11-2019 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike in AZ (Post 3778092)
Hi Ted.

It does stabilize the front, and it is reportedly excellent in aiding you to continue going straight in a front tire blowout situation. I hope never to have to find out first hand though! It also reportedly minimizes the effect of passing 18-wheelers blowing us to the side.

I don't know of one for the rear. The CHF was done both front and rear though.

I paid $499 on Amazon for the Safe T Plus (Blue one for my rig), about $55 for the F-53 brackets for install. I also opted to pay a mobile RV Service tech to do mine, that was two hours labor, $220 for everything he did today. Worth every dollar.

What is CHF ???

bsheet2 08-11-2019 04:28 PM

well, after putting a lot of water in my house batteries they were fully charged this morning. I am amazed. I thought for sure those batteries would be toast.

twinboat 08-11-2019 04:36 PM

Draining then down below 50% does not reduce there ability to hold a charge.

Running them down to 10% charge will shorten their life by one day, yes, but not effect charging them back up. It willjyst take longer.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod (Post 4905006)

bsheet2 08-14-2019 02:29 PM

Weight of 2017 Challenger 37YT

I was able to get my MH weighed today. The Flying J at Hempstead, Texas has a CAT Scale with a strip of concrete down one side that is level with the scale. This allow me to weigh the whole MH and it gives a total and the weight on each axel. Then I did a reweight ($2 more) by putting the right side of the MH off the scale but on that strip of concrete that is level with the scales. This gave me wheel weights for the left side. By subtracting from the axel weights I calculated the right side wheel weights.

The RV was mostly loaded with what we will carry, but not everything. Grey and black water tanks were empty. Propane was full. Potable water tank had 55 gal in it so I added the weight of 45 more gallons (375 lbs) to the right rear wheel which is included in the numbers I show below.
Weights in pounds.

LF 3,880 RF 3,820
LR 6,680 RR 7,495 (7,120 with only 55 gal potable water)

Total combined weight is 21,875 (21,500 with only 55 gal potable water)

The right side of the MH is certainly heavier that the left in the rear. The front looks pretty even.

Allowing some contingency for more stuff we will put in plus people weight, looks like I can use 90 psi in all wheels. I will likely keep only 50 gal of fresh water in the tank when traveling to get the right and left sides a little closer to the same weight. Plus I will try to store the heavier items on the left side.

Will be towing a 2014 Honda CRV that weighs about 3,500 lbs.
Total combined weight will be about 22,000 + 3,500 = 25,500 lbs.

Should be ok. I am a complete novias. So if any of you experienced guys see any thing wrong here please let me know.