iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

Hit_the_Rhod 09-19-2019 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHIOJERRY (Post 4962589)
Very glad I found this thread. Wife and I have been camping for about 5 years now with a 37 foot travel trailer. Back in July sold it and picked up a 2015 Challenger 37KT with just over 4,000 miles on it. So I'm really new on inverter operation. This thread is huge and I've read a lot of it but not all. Great information.
So, should I keep the inverter powered on all the time, even when connected to shore power or just when no shore power is available?
I'm sure I'll have many more questions about this rig and I'm thrilled I found a group of knowledgeable people.

Thanks in advance.
Jerry


For us, we don't own a Thor, but we DO have an inverter. Our inverter powers our residential fridge. If we are plugged in to shore power, but don't have the inverter on, fridge isn't getting power. So for US, the inverter is on 24/7. YMMV:whistling:

sbleiweiss 09-19-2019 07:34 AM

[QUOTE=
So, should I keep the inverter powered on all the time, even when connected to shore power or just when no shore power is available?
Jerry[/QUOTE]


Welcome Jerry. We have almost your identical rig. We leave the inverter on all the time unless in the shop for service and unplugged for an extended period of time. Otherwise on all the time so we don't forget to turn it on. It is smart, and only kicks in when running on battery power (12v). Hope you enjoy the KT as much as we do.

Beau388 09-19-2019 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHIOJERRY (Post 4962589)
.
So, should I keep the inverter powered on all the time, even when connected to shore power or just when no shore power is available?
Thanks in advance.
Jerry

The more expensive inverters cannot be turned off unless the A/C power to the inverter is off. Even if the inverter is off and power from a shoreline or generator is applied to the power center the inverter will turn on. My Xantrex Freedom Xi works that way.

PattyP 09-19-2019 11:18 PM

We have that exact model and we only use the inverter when driving to power the fridge. Jerry how do you like the bed? We have replaced the mattress and replaced the loveseat for recliners. Love the pantry! Had to have slideout in bedroom fixed twice. Had to replace fridge and step motor and backup camera/stereo. We bought ours used but it was only used for one year. We have over 40,000 on ours. Good luck and safe travels!

bigdaddy5120 09-30-2019 06:55 PM

Anybody know the manufacturer of the window glass for a 2014 37KT? I broke a dining room window with a rock from lawn mower and need to replace.

sbleiweiss 10-01-2019 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddy5120 (Post 4978594)
Anybody know the manufacturer of the window glass for a 2014 37KT? I broke a dining room window with a rock from lawn mower and need to replace.


I believe they are Hehr Windows. Anyone can make replacement glass, although I don't know if that differs with frameless windows like you probably have.

sbleiweiss 10-17-2019 06:23 AM

Leak in Driver's Side Window
 
Has anyone had a leak during heavy and windy rainstorms in one of the front side windows. We do. The water comes in just below the window and runs down the wallpapered wall and lands on the ledge where the jack/level control is. If you had this what was the source of the leak? What was the fix? Who diagnosed it?

jeanluc001 10-25-2019 07:22 AM

weep hole
 
you might want to check the small slits in the window frame. they should be free of debris. they allow water to escape from inside of frame if it gets in there.

sbleiweiss 10-25-2019 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanluc001 (Post 5010959)
you might want to check the small slits in the window frame. they should be free of debris. they allow water to escape from inside of frame if it gets in there.


Had that checked and it wasn't the problem. We actually wonder if it might be coming from a roof leak and just suspecting the window because that (right below the window) is where it shows up. Don't see any obvious tears or caulking problems on the roof either though. Thanks for the suggestion.

jeanluc001 10-25-2019 08:08 AM

i have a 2013 37kt and had water running down the side windows from the roof. i got a roll of stick on gutter spout on amazon and put it above the window frame to divert water from the top of the windows. seems it would be better to not have the water running over the top of window frame.

OHIOJERRY 10-25-2019 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PattyP (Post 4964296)
We have that exact model and we only use the inverter when driving to power the fridge. Jerry how do you like the bed? We have replaced the mattress and replaced the loveseat for recliners. Love the pantry! Had to have slideout in bedroom fixed twice. Had to replace fridge and step motor and backup camera/stereo. We bought ours used but it was only used for one year. We have over 40,000 on ours. Good luck and safe travels!

The bed is not bad. We are planning on replacing the loveseat with recliners or a reclining 67" theater seat. Slides operating good, fridge is good but the steps have a mind of their own and the touchscreen has long most of its sensitivity but the cameras work fine.

Just returned from a 2400 mile trip to Alabama. Only oddity was 75 miles into the trip the cruise control quit and a warning light on the dash (a wrench) came on. Wife was looking it up and said there should be a power loss but I didn't notice any at the time. Shortly afterwards started a small uphill climb and the engine maxed out at 2500 rpm. At the top of the hill was a rest area and further troubleshooting on Google I found a post saying to shut the engine off for 10 minutes. We did and after restarting no more warning light and the cruise control was working again. No other problems for the last 2300 miles. I don't know what to think.

sbleiweiss 11-18-2019 07:27 AM

On our KT we have always wondered exactly where the break point was for the two legs of 50 amps each. For example, wondered where you could plug in two space heaters at the same time and have them on different legs. Or what you could run at the same time as the microwave was on, or a coffer percolator was perking. Does anyone have a wiring diagram that shows this break point? Also, I believe that the microwave and the fireplace/heater are on their own "circuits", but they still must be on one or the other 50 amp legs. How much do you feel comfortable running on that same leg while a large power user is running? Thanks.

Webman9113 11-19-2019 02:01 PM

Yes, I believe the MW and fireplace are on their own circuits. As for where the limits are on electrical capacity, I think the only time in the 5 years we’ve had our KT that I tripped one of the breakers was when the second AC unit came on (first already running), and I think the microwave was running AND the fridge just kicked on at almost exactly the same time as the AC. But in the winter we’ve had the fireplace going, Rug Buddy plugged in, two small ceramic heaters going, AC water heat, microwave, fridge, lights, TV, etc. and never had a problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 5042888)
On our KT we have always wondered exactly where the break point was for the two legs of 50 amps each. For example, wondered where you could plug in two space heaters at the same time and have them on different legs. Or what you could run at the same time as the microwave was on, or a coffer percolator was perking. Does anyone have a wiring diagram that shows this break point? Also, I believe that the microwave and the fireplace/heater are on their own "circuits", but they still must be on one or the other 50 amp legs. How much do you feel comfortable running on that same leg while a large power user is running? Thanks.


sbleiweiss 11-20-2019 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Webman9113 (Post 5044624)
I think the only time in the 5 years we’ve had our KT that I tripped one of the breakers was ...


And when you tripped the breaker, was it the breaker on the pedestal?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.