iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

camaromance 03-30-2013 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1513917)
I've sanitized my entire system including the three sections of fill hose I use. Once the bleach did it's thing I filled and emptied the tank and lines at least three times using the water pump and tank drain valve. Having done that, when filling the tank I employed both over fill lines on the tank and once the water got to a level out of reach of the ports they stopped draining on each fill.

It's hard to imagine how they could siphon all the water out unless they had dip tubes running to the bottom of the tank. Am I missing some other way in which this could happen? Did the tank manufacturer construct the tanks with dip tubes to the bottom of the tank thinking that those were fill ports rather than vents?

Don, I have no idea. It happened to me twice and I'm not sure how the vent hoses are attached to the tank. But once the suction starts from the vent hose, it drains it completely. Could be only on he KT, but I have read about others having the same issue.

bdickson 03-31-2013 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaromance (Post 1514207)

Don, I have no idea. It happened to me twice and I'm not sure how the vent hoses are attached to the tank. But once the suction starts from the vent hose, it drains it completely. Could be only on he KT, but I have read about others having the same issue.

This must be unique to the KT. On my GT the fresh water tank is on the door side just in front of the back wheels. There are two half inch overflow tubes attached at the top corners of the tank. They do not have internal tubes so there is no way they could siphon. I know they work because a few days ago I set the lever to pressure fill and forgot about it. The tank filled and water started pouring out the overflows. I guess there are two pipes so the overflow is twice as large as the inlet, that way there is no possibility of over pressuring the tank. Camaromance, you are correct, I forgot about the volume of air trapped in the tank which would get compressed if the overflows were blocked. On my coach I also have a gravity fill directly above the tank, and it has a one inch corrugated overflow hose.

DGShaffer 03-31-2013 09:47 AM

Same here with the two vent tubes. During my de-winterizing process I over filled the tank at least four times and the same thing happened and the water stopped flowing as soon as it drained past their reach. Thanks for the heads up Jim!

A vessel not designed to contain pressure can explode with as little as 3 PSI depending on a host of factors. The wall thickness of these tank mean they could take 30 to 40 PSI berore they let go but in that time they are quickly trying to turn from square to round and exerting pressure equally from all sides. I can imagine the destruction that Jim described in that incident without any problem at all.

bdickson 03-31-2013 10:10 AM

Ok, change of topic. We spent the last 2 days at Hendersons of Grants Pass Oregon. Originally just to get the coach 4 corner weighed and to look at steering dampers. I had heard of their Road Performance Assessment and decided to go ahead with it. What we got was a thorough inspection of the underside (I was in the pit with the technician), an alignment check, 4 corner weighing and a 15 mile road test. We ended up getting a Safe T Plus steering control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear sway bars and a SuperSteer rear track bar. The alignment toe in was off by .5 of an inch (the tech could detect feathering on the front tires after only 3,500 miles). The weigh in was good, we are within 100 pounds left to right on the rear and 50 pounds on the front. The only worrying number was total GVW which was 22,350. I'm not too concerned since we had an almost full gas tank and fresh water over half full. Together these account for almost 1,000 pounds. Based on the actual weights the tech recommended tire pressures of 90 front and 95 rear. We drove 280 miles on I-5 in Oregon yesterday through some very mountainous territory and I have to say the difference in handling is nothing short of incredible. Now for the 5 Star Tune when the package arrives from Mike.

DGShaffer 03-31-2013 11:21 AM

Wow Bruce, that sounds incredible! I've never heard of them or that type of service before. Food for thought.

camaromance 03-31-2013 11:27 AM

Through our discussions on water tanks, I have discovered a good data point. If I overfilled my fresh water tank to the point it was coming out of the overflows, it would continue to siphon all the water out every time. If you guys aren't having that issue, then there must be a difference between our coaches. My 2013 KT was one of the first off the line. I bought it in May of 2012. Thor probably figured it out and corrected it.

DGShaffer 03-31-2013 11:58 AM

I'd bet that if you could blow into your over fill tubes you would see bubbles at the bottom of the tank. I would try pulling the threaded fittings that the over fill tubes connect to and see if they have the siphon tube connected to it. If they do than the fix is simply to cut it off and screw it back in. If not, that would mean that it's welded to the fitting that's on the tank. Depending on the room you have up top, if you could remove the plastic pipe fitting and get a drill in there at an angle and drill a small hole in the tube towards the inside of the tank that would be enough to keep it from starting a siphon

DGShaffer 03-31-2013 12:04 PM

We spent our first night in ours last night. Although it was in our driveway it was a good experience. I got a chance to verify that everything works as it should.

I found that the drain from the washing machine has a small leak to the outside that needs fixing and my wife didn't rinse all of the Vinegar out the Kurig coffee maker after she cleaned it.

Other than that, everything worked as it should have so I'm confident that our weekend trip next week will go smoothly.

bdickson 03-31-2013 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1514673)
my wife didn't rinse all of the Vinegar out the Kurig coffee maker after she cleaned it.

That would be grounds :-) for divorce in our "house".

bdickson 03-31-2013 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1514615)
Wow Bruce, that sounds incredible! I've never heard of them or that type of service before. Food for thought.

I had heard of these guys but hadn't realized just how experienced they are on RV and truck steering and suspension. They came up with the designs for most of the SuperSteer products. Fwiw I asked Robert the owner about the Cheap Handling Fix. He had heard of it, but was very cautious in saying that he felt it could cause long term problems like premature bushing wear, and the possibility of a broken sway bar or link which, although not catastrophic could be serious depending on where the broken pieces got jammed. In his opinion the extra holes are NOT for adjustment, but are there on the front because up until a few years ago Ford put a Z bracket on the front as well as the back.

opcop 04-01-2013 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaromance (Post 1514620)
Through our discussions on water tanks, I have discovered a good data point. If I overfilled my fresh water tank to the point it was coming out of the overflows, it would continue to siphon all the water out every time. If you guys aren't having that issue, then there must be a difference between our coaches. My 2013 KT was one of the first off the line. I bought it in May of 2012. Thor probably figured it out and corrected it.

Hey Camaro, my 2012 DT did the same thing. I filled my fresh water tank up until it reached the overflow, but the water did stop coming out originally. By the time I left the high desert in Yucca Valley to the Inland Empire in Rancho Cucamonga, I lost half of my fresh water due to a siphon issue. When I finished that trip I remedied the problem. I went to Home Depot and bought 2 plastic garden hose threaded inserts (used to repair old hoses) and secured them to the ends of both overflow tubes with small hose clamps. I also bought 2 screw on hose caps to seal each overflow. When I fill up the fresh water tank I take the caps off so I don't rupture the tank from pressure build up and then screw them back on when I travel so I don't lose water. It was a cheap fix and works great.

opcop 04-01-2013 01:14 AM

Just got back from my first trip after having my 37DT at Giant RV for 6 weeks doing warranty work. We took our RV up to Big Bear Lake, elevation about 7500 feet, for Easter weekend and my Challenger did great up and down the mountain. My only issue was the shower. Never had an issue with it before, but when I turned it on water began to puddle on the floor in the bathroom coming from under the shower pan and heater vent panel. I finally isolated the problem, it was the stupid plastic water diverter tee inside the faucet that had split down the seam of the tee. The water was filling up inside the faucet handle cover and the water came back out the back and down the interior wall. Had to use the old pitcher of water method to take a shower. I was using a 40 psi water regulator so it wasn't the water pressure. Darn thing just decided to split. I researched the internet and found that our shower faucet is made by Dura Faucet and you can buy the part through them for $8.95. I bought 2, so I have another one as a back up just in case. I checked the warranty from Dura Faucet and it states that they won't warranty the part if it was installed by an RV manufacturer, only if you bought it from them direct. And I'm not dropping off my RV at the dealership again for warranty repair because they will have it for a least 2 weeks and the gas there and back. So I just bought the darn things. Little things like this are a PITA, but at least it's minor. Hope this helps everyone out as an informational update.

DGShaffer 04-02-2013 06:23 AM

Do any of you know if you can adjust the flow rate on the foot flush toilet? When I had mine hooked up to the hose at my house this past weekend I noticed that there were times that the initial release of water was so fast that it ran up over the edge of the bowl. I'm hoping that there's an internal adjustment somewhere.

camaromance 04-02-2013 08:09 PM

Hey, Don. You must have good water pressure like I do. Mine does the same thing when I'm at home. I don't know of any way to adjust it unless you install a valve in the hose before the toilet to regulate the flow. I try not to push down on the flush valve too fast or all the way when I'm at the house.

I got my KT back today from the dealer. Only two things left on the punch list to fix and the slide isn't one of them. It's a very good thing I asked them to look at it. One of the cables for the forward retract had become loose and twisted. If they had not looked when they did, it only had a couple of more cycles before it would have bound up and broke leaving me stranded with a slide I couldn't retract. If you have the full body slide like I do, the tech said it should be adjusted in the first year and once every couple of years thereafter due to the cables stretching. Man, I am so glad I had them look at that.