iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

DGShaffer 04-03-2013 06:23 AM

I'll see what it's like at the campground this weekend I guess an inline pressure regulator at the inlet might be in order.

I'm glad to hear you caught that. I don't have a full wall slide and from the link John posted about how to manually retract my slides, I don't think I have a cable system. Is this an adjustment you can do yourself or does it have to go back to the dealer for adjustment and inspection?

Regarding my Coleman grill slide out tray, I finished designing it over the weekend and I installed it last night after work. It fit as I planned but now I have to attach the grill. I've been having good luck using industrial strength adhesive backed Velcro so I'm thinking this would be a good way to attach it. There are no good ways to screw it down because of the slide out surfaces on the grill, they would get caught up on any screws that were attached to it. But so far it goes in and out just as I planned. I'll have photos once I mount the grill and fire it up.

This thing is pretty heavy and I found myself not spending the time and effort to get it out and set it up on our short weekends so it doesn't get used as often as I like. The Coleman Road Trip grill is more of and extension of the range top in the kitchen so any real cooking I do I tend to do over the camp fire. It's good for breakfast and heating side dishes more that grilling.

I'm so excited my nipples are hard :2funny:

DGShaffer 04-03-2013 05:51 PM

6 Attachment(s)
OK, so I couldn't wait for the weekend :D The silver bracket was an after thought, it catches the frame so it can't slide towards the door and dent it

bdickson 04-03-2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1518529)
OK, so I couldn't wait for the weekend :D The silver bracket was an after thought, it catches the frame so it can't slide towards the door and dent it

So are you going in to business? I'd buy one!

camaromance 04-03-2013 08:07 PM

Don, that is nothing short of amazing. To be able solve issues like that...that is really something. Is your propane tank near by or do you use the portable bottles?

Your grill looks brand new. Mine has A LOT of miles on it. I was going to get a new one but couldn't justify it. It works as good as the day I bought it. I use mine for everything. Clean up has always been a pain.

The cable slide system is easy to identify. If you put out your slides and see 3/8" wire rope attached to the four corners, then you have the accu-slide system. Only my full body slide is that way. The other two slides are like yours. I would be hesitant to try and adjust them myself without going to the class in Indiana. It only takes an hour to adjust it if you know what your doing. Unfortunately, I don't. I have read about a lot of issues with this system. However, the tech said as long as I pay attention, I'll notice when something isn't right, bring it in and get it adjusted and it shouldn't be a problem. The other advice he gave me was to never put the full-body slide out unless the coach is level with the jacks down. It weighs too much to do otherwise.

camaromance 04-03-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by opcop (Post 1515363)
Hey Camaro, my 2012 DT did the same thing. I filled my fresh water tank up until it reached the overflow, but the water did stop coming out originally. By the time I left the high desert in Yucca Valley to the Inland Empire in Rancho Cucamonga, I lost half of my fresh water due to a siphon issue. When I finished that trip I remedied the problem. I went to Home Depot and bought 2 plastic garden hose threaded inserts (used to repair old hoses) and secured them to the ends of both overflow tubes with small hose clamps. I also bought 2 screw on hose caps to seal each overflow. When I fill up the fresh water tank I take the caps off so I don't rupture the tank from pressure build up and then screw them back on when I travel so I don't lose water. It was a cheap fix and works great.

Nice. That would suck showing up in the desert with half the water you thought you had. The dealer installed the mod from Thor. I'll know in a week if it fixes it.

DGShaffer 04-03-2013 08:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys, I'm pretty happy with the way it came out. It's too heavy and big to ship but I'd turn over my detailed drawings to anyone that could fabricate one for you. It's made out 1" square x 1/8" wall steel tubing, a little 14 gauge sheet for the mounting angles and gussets, 2x 24" long 1/2-13 all thread, 4 Alcatel bearings, and electricians Unistrut for the glides. It took about 6 hours to design/evaluate and detail, 5 hours to make, and a whopping 15 minutes to install.

The propane is in the next bay and I've been using an Extend-A-Stay fitting to get fuel to the grill since I've had it. It's much easier that way. That grill is three seasons old, I don't use it on every trip but it's been used at least 50 times. I use simple green and spray nine to clean it.

I think that any motor home with slides should be level and supported by the leveling jacks before the slides are put out as a rule. There's too much frame twist to think otherwise. I wonder how much testing was done before they threw a system like that in to their coach. Sounds to me like they're now saying "what do we do now?". Letting the end user pay the price of maintaining and repairing cables just doesn't seem right to me. If they fail, can you run it in manually if it's an emergency?

camaromance 04-03-2013 09:57 PM

Don, the slide has two cabling systems, one for extending and one for retracting. The reason it was developed was to save space. The entire system is very compact. Thats how they were able to design the full body slide as big as it is. It's like they designed the slide first and then developed this system as an afterthought when they discovered the conventional slide systems were too big or not powerful enough to reliably operate it. I'm stuck with it and I guess I'll always hold my breath now when I'm using it.

bronk 04-05-2013 02:17 PM

Fresh Water Tank Leak

First, Don, many kudos for a well thought-out design and build for the grill!! Now, "United Challenger Owners"! I have a serious leak in my fresh water tank ( a 2011 Challenger 3710). I looked at the tank today to see if there is some way to remove it and replace it with a new one from Thor. I don't see how to get the tank out of the space. There doesn't seem to be enough space between the upper edge of the door opening for the tank to fit through the door space. There is a block of wood that helps secure the tank that is attached by screws and this looks easily removed, but there is a metal cross piece that won't allow the tank to be dropped enough to exit the space. Any owners with advice or knowledge of how to get this tank out would be appreciated. I hate going to Elkhart to get this done if I can manage it myself.

Thanks in advance, Ron (Bronk)

camaromance 04-05-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bronk (Post 1520704)
First, Don, many kudos for a well thought-out design and build for the grill!! Now, "United Challenger Owners"! I have a serious leak in my fresh water tank ( a 2011 Challenger 3710). I looked at the tank today to see if there is some way to remove it and replace it with a new one from Thor. I don't see how to get the tank out of the space. There doesn't seem to be enough space between the upper edge of the door opening for the tank to fit through the door space. There is a block of wood that helps secure the tank that is attached by screws and this looks easily removed, but there is a metal cross piece that won't allow the tank to be dropped enough to exit the space. Any owners with advice or knowledge of how to get this tank out would be appreciated. I hate going to Elkhart to get this done if I can manage it myself.

Bronk, try looking at this place.

Potable Water Bladder Tanks - Go-To-Tanks

They make custom bladders so if you are able to find out the dimensions of your tank, you might consider purchasing one. I think the only way to replace a fresh water tank is to go through the floor. I've seen videos of rv construction and the tanks are one of the first things installed.

With a bladder, you could cut out just enough of the ends of the water tank on the top of each side to pull the bladder through. Then hook up your fresh water fill inlet and supply. I helped install these on old boats back when the tanks were built into the hull. Your old fresh water tank will serve as a perfect frame to contain the bladder and I am sure it would be a much cheaper alternative then having the dealer do it. Also, I think the current process to replace the fresh water tank is to cut out the old one an install a smaller one in its place that fits through the available opening. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

DGShaffer 04-06-2013 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bronk (Post 1520704)

I'm just getting back online. the first question I have is, can you see the leak? Is it from wear? a split seam? A crack at a fitting?

These tanks are made of a thermoplastic material meaning that they can be welded using common plastic welding techniques (super heated air).

The upside is that although it may have to be removed, it may not need to be replaced.

camaromance 04-06-2013 09:12 AM

Good point Don, I guess it depends on how bad the leak is. These tanks are supposed to last for years. I wonder if Ron has some interference that has rubbed through the tank? 2011 is not that old and the tank shouldn't be breaking down already.

bronk 04-07-2013 11:17 AM

Don and Jimmy, Many thanks for your input and suggestions. I think what has happened is; While we in FL, one of the campgrounds had very high water pressure, and I may have overfilled the tank thus causing a rupture. Unfortunately, I can't see it from the visible side, but believe that it is a slight crack on the back side (facing the inside of the compartment). It was "pilot error" on my part. I have since used a pressure regulator for water that is under high pressure. Lesson learned. As to the fix: The tank is resting on a piece of 1/2 plywood and I believe that I can cut a piece of the wood out that will allow the tank to be dropped down into the compartment below. I will be able to inspect, repair or replace, then simply put the tank back up through the opening and add another piece of plywood over the existing plywood that is left around the edges of the piece removed. There is plenty of room to move the tank around to get to inlet fittings,etc., so this shouldn't be an issue. Also, there is ample room at the top of the tank to accomodate the extra thickness of the new plywood. I think that I will call Damon to ask their advice on removal before beginning, however.

Again thanks for all the feedback!

Ron (Bronk)

DGShaffer 04-08-2013 07:27 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Well, our shake down trip was uneventful other than leaving my propane lighter and fire poker in the garage at home.

The CG we stayed at was a short 20 minute ride from the house just in case anything were to go drastically wrong. When we arrived on Friday night there was a line to get in which was very odd as this was small to begin with. But we soon learned that the following morning was the opening of Trout season and this river was stocked. I was told that next weekend the place would be wide open.

The place was nice and quiet and our site backed up right on the river so it was exactly what we look for in a CG, being a County park, there were no seasonal sites which we also fine enjoyable. There was a nice fairly rugged hiking trail across the river which we spent a good amount of time on all three days. All in all, a great first weekend get away.

The grill slide worked out fantastic. I cooked four meals on it and it is plenty far enough away from the slide and at a height off the ground that made cooking and cleaning it fairly easy. I was worried that it may have been too low when I first put it on the slide.

Here are some photos. The one is of our view from the bedroom window looking out at the river (or as I posted on our FB page, the view from our weekend getaway home on the river). The other is from the hiking trail looking down at the MH, and the other of the grill being used to cook lunch.

I hope you all enjoyed your weekend as much as I did.

I Love my Challenger!

DGShaffer 04-08-2013 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bronk (Post 1522845)
Don and Jimmy, Many thanks for your input and suggestions. I think what has happened is; While we in FL, one of the campgrounds had very high water pressure, and I may have overfilled the tank thus causing a rupture. Unfortunately, I can't see it from the visible side, but believe that it is a slight crack on the back side (facing the inside of the compartment). It was "pilot error" on my part. I have since used a pressure regulator for water that is under high pressure. Lesson learned. As to the fix: The tank is resting on a piece of 1/2 plywood and I believe that I can cut a piece of the wood out that will allow the tank to be dropped down into the compartment below. I will be able to inspect, repair or replace, then simply put the tank back up through the opening and add another piece of plywood over the existing plywood that is left around the edges of the piece removed. There is plenty of room to move the tank around to get to inlet fittings,etc., so this shouldn't be an issue. Also, there is ample room at the top of the tank to accomodate the extra thickness of the new plywood. I think that I will call Damon to ask their advice on removal before beginning, however.

Again thanks for all the feedback!

Ron (Bronk)

Hopefully you'll be able to get it out without too much trouble. Getting it repaired is an option by the sounds of it.

Is your unit one of those that have the siphoning issue so that you have to block off the vent hoses? Because mine has the power fill option at the city water connection I have two overfill vent lines and I'm assuming it's so that it can vent at a rate sufficient to keep from over pressurizing the tank.