iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

bdickson 04-15-2013 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaromance (Post 1532725)
Don, you're witty. I just got the DeTailed. Mine is Klean Too.

Mine is Greatly Tweaked.......:D

DGShaffer 04-15-2013 06:58 PM

Klean Too :D

Man... two winters ago I drove my Outlaw down to Key West at Christmas. That was the year we got that bad snow storm. I was driving in snow from near your area all the way in GEORGIA! That was a rough one and I was pulling my VW Jetta on a dolly. After that trip the underside of the Outlaw started rotting away! Every inch was just tore up from the salt. In retrospect, I should have had it power washed underneath at the beginning of the next season. I even had electrical connections failing from the salt and the oil filter on the generator rotted completely through and dumped all it's oil. Here are a couple of photos from that trip including one of the jetta in the rear view camera :eek:

I love the last photo. Cindy is looking like she wanted to get out and walk and the dog is thinking "what the hell is with you man... Pull over!"
https://dgshaffer.com/bikephotos/christmas-10/12.JPG

https://dgshaffer.com/bikephotos/christmas-10/05.JPG

https://dgshaffer.com/bikephotos/christmas-10/06.JPG

https://dgshaffer.com/bikephotos/christmas-10/07.JPG

DGShaffer 04-15-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 1532752)
Mine is Greatly Tweaked.......:D

This is a whole new thread! :rofl:

JohnG2013KT 04-15-2013 08:21 PM

Bummer ... absolutely no power in RV ..

OK ... Walked out to the RV ... to install some wine glass racks ... and much to my surprise .. There is absolutely no power .. house batteries are dead, starting battery is dead ..?? Or at least they appear dead .. Can't even honk the horn ...

The RV is brand new ... we've only driven it from Camping World home .. less than 25 miles .. Did not have anything running or lights on .. not even the fridge .. Our 120v supply isn't in yet .. so we were cautious about lights, etc .. The last time we had any lights on was last Thursday evening .. At that time, I fired up the gen set to recharge the house batteries .. Everything seemed normal .. ?

It seems odd that the starting battery would also be down .. I thought that the starting battery was isolated from the house?

Anyone got any ideas? ...

John

camaromance 04-15-2013 09:05 PM

Not sure, John. It does seem odd you would run them down that quickly unless the batteries weren't that charged to begin with. Even though everything is off, there are a lot of things still sucking the juice out of your batteries. The carbon monoxide alarm is a huge culprit along with the radio and if you inadvertently left the inverter on. Not sure if you have one of those. Hope all is well now. One good road trip and everything should charge up. The alternator on the engine will charge both sets of batteries but plugging it in will only charge the coach batteries. I remember one season in my class c, I had to flip the switch and use the coach batteries to start the engine for a few days until I got enough run time to charge the engine battery. I know, too lazy to hook up the charger. I was testing my alternator over an extended period.

camaromance 04-15-2013 09:19 PM

Walmart has everything you need to plug into your house 120 supply. You'll need a 50amp to 30 amp pigtail and a 30amp to 15amp plug converter. I've been keeping my RV coach batteries charged for a few years doing it that way. It works fine for just some lights, the fridge and charging the batteries. Not much more though. You might consider using the battery disconnect on your switch panel if your not going to plug it in. That will disconnect everything from your batteries. Sorry if you know this stuff already. I had to learn everything the hard way.

camaromance 04-15-2013 09:27 PM

Don, I think the road salt is what got to mine. We were camping all the way to Christmas on those salty roads in PA. Glad I found it in time. I absolutely despise rust. I guess that's why I could never get on the Rat Rod patina band wagon. Every time I see on of those, I'm like, paint that sh!t, man.

DGShaffer 04-16-2013 04:51 AM

as Jim detailed, parasitic draw will kill your batteries so unless you knew the condition of the batteries when you picked it up and were monitoring them since it's been parked, the coach could have easily killed the batteries. Did you try starting the generator? That little motor doesn't take much to start it and that will charge the coach batteries back up so that you can use the AUX Start button to start the chassis motor.

Did you turn off the battery disconnect switch near the entry door? Keeping that off will go a long way towards extending the life of the coach battery bank. Also check the water level in the batteries, they will run dry if you're not careful.

Always remember that if there is a little juice left but it won't start the main engine, there may be enough to fire up the generator. Let that run for 5 minutes and you're good to go.

Another tip. You'll notice that if you hit the battery disconnect switch and close the doors, the entry steps will not retract. What I do is to close the screen door, let the steps retract, then reach through the pass through in the screen door to flip the switch to Disconnect.

Good luck getting it squared away John. And never park it anywhere with less than a 1/4 tank of fuel or your generator will not run! It's a safety feature so that leaving the generator running won't exhaust all your fuel and leave you stranded.

JohnG2013KT 04-16-2013 07:12 AM

Thanks guys .. for the info

Appreciate the advice .. going to WalMart this morning .. At least I can keep the batteries topped off ..until I can get an electrician out here ...

I have to first dig a trench about 120' .. ouch! ... Of course, that's one benefit of living in Florida ... digging a hole/trench isn't all that hard to do ... but (whine, whine, whine) it's hot .. ha..ha..

Thanks again .. .

John

DGShaffer 04-16-2013 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnG2013KT (Post 1533264)
Of course, that's one benefit of living in Florida ... digging a hole/trench isn't all that hard to do

John

I'm thinking that you would just drag a stick through the sand right? :rofl:

bdickson 04-16-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1533267)

I'm thinking that you would just drag a stick through the sand right? :rofl:

Yeah, but if you go too slow it just fills in again behind you.

okiefrank 04-20-2013 07:27 PM

Battery discharge,

When we bought our new 2013 37GT in November, the service person said turn off the disconnect switch, which I did, the batteries went dead, Back to the dealer for repair, The disconnect switch has a relay in it, the relay stuck and was using the battery voltage until it ran down, they replace the relay. I have since had solar panel on and am installing 2 more 6 volt batteries. We do not need a washer or dryer so I had my contractor son build full extension slide out drawers and shelve in the space,, works beautiful.

bdickson 04-20-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okiefrank (Post 1538513)
When we bought our new 2013 37GT in November, the service person said turn off the disconnect switch, which I did, the batteries went dead, Back to the dealer for repair, The disconnect switch has a relay in it, the relay stuck and was using the battery voltage until it ran down, they replace the relay. I have since had solar panel on and am installing 2 more 6 volt batteries. We do not need a washer or dryer so I had my contractor son build full extension slide out drawers and shelve in the space,, works beautiful.

Can we see a picture of the washer closet refit please. I did the same to my 37GT but I'm not a contractor, so I'm sure yours came out better!

okiefrank 04-21-2013 12:12 AM

Drawer inserts

Sure thing will take pics tomorrow,, ordering a 5 star Monday..