iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

okiefrank 04-21-2013 12:23 AM

Albuquerque camping world..

Do you remember who the tech's name at the shop who did the work.. I think Ramon did my work. Bill Culiflo also works there ... I had a mishap in my old 2002 Cruisemaster year before last and had a fire in the compartment where the sewer and water hook up are located ,, the exhaust got hot and set the hoses on fire in the compartment, did not know it until I opened the door and saw the mess, the fire burned a hole in the black water tank and the contents put out the fire. It was a crappy fire......Camping world repaired the tank after ordering the wrong replacement. Took 18 days for the fix. That is tough with COPD and having to take Oxygen part time for the altitude.

JohnG2013KT 04-21-2013 09:53 AM

Throwing in the towel on sewer hookup ..

When I initially joined the forum, there were several posts concerning the sewer hookup.. I was experiencing the same issue so I followed along .. hoping that I would be "lucky" and Thor had solved the problem for 2013 models ..

I spent an hour yesterday at Camping World, going thru an assortment of sewer kits, going back and forth out to one of the Challenger's they have onsite ... I found (by accident) a bayonet in the bag from Thor .. which has very short shoulders and in theory would allow the bayonet and hose to clear the flange .. Using that, I found that a Blue Line sewer hose would work .. So $40 later, I went home with a 'solution' ...

But alas, no luck and I am now throwing in the towel ...

Not only is clearance an issue, with attaching the bayonet. In my case, the hookup is offset from the flange and seems to be angled "up" rather than down towards the actual opening? Making it impossible to feed a hose up threw the pipe and connect it ..

So .. Thinking about Don's flange solution, I went back to my boating days and thought a using a plastic deck plate .. A quick trip to West Marine and $10 and I have a 6" threaded deck plate.. I really hate to start hacking on my new RV .. but I don't see any other way to make the existing configuration work ..

One question for those that have already done this .. When you say you cut out the existing flange and pipe, I am assuming that what you did was remove the brass screws and cut the pipe right at the elbow ??

Thanks again guys ..

John

PS .. I am very disappointed with Camping World .. When I picked up the RV, the holding tanks were 2/3 full ... I was very anxious to get it home, so I told the service guys that I would have them empty it when I brought it back in a couple of weeks for some warranty work .. After all of this, now I know why they hadn't dumped it .. They had no way of doing it?

JohnG2013KT 04-21-2013 09:59 AM

Warranty issues?

One more question .. Does removing the flange and pipe void the factory warranty for the sewer system? Has anyone experienced any issues with Thor on this?

okiefrank 04-21-2013 11:32 PM

Drawers pull outs

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by okiefrank (Post 1538787)
Sure thing will take pics tomorrow,, ordering a 5 star Monday..

Here is a photo of drawers

okiefrank 04-21-2013 11:54 PM

Pull outs

The photo is of the pull out drawers, The top shelve brackets were moved up from the bottom, there is a board that covers the opening where the washer would hook up. I removed the chain that kept the closet door from hitting the mirror and moved the mirror about 1 1/2 " forward and installed a rubber bumper on the mirror frame where the closet door would hit, now the door opens to where it should. The three bottom drawers are full extension guides. I also found if you leave any item on the dining table there is a chance it will roll back and wind up in the TV compartment, all the way to the floor. I also installed a shield to prevent this problem.

DGShaffer 04-22-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnG2013KT (Post 1539051)
When I initially joined the forum, there were several posts concerning the sewer hookup.. I was experiencing the same issue so I followed along .. hoping that I would be "lucky" and Thor had solved the problem for 2013 models ..

I spent an hour yesterday at Camping World, going thru an assortment of sewer kits, going back and forth out to one of the Challenger's they have onsite ... I found (by accident) a bayonet in the bag from Thor .. which has very short shoulders and in theory would allow the bayonet and hose to clear the flange .. Using that, I found that a Blue Line sewer hose would work .. So $40 later, I went home with a 'solution' ...

But alas, no luck and I am now throwing in the towel ...

Not only is clearance an issue, with attaching the bayonet. In my case, the hookup is offset from the flange and seems to be angled "up" rather than down towards the actual opening? Making it impossible to feed a hose up threw the pipe and connect it ..

So .. Thinking about Don's flange solution, I went back to my boating days and thought a using a plastic deck plate .. A quick trip to West Marine and $10 and I have a 6" threaded deck plate.. I really hate to start hacking on my new RV .. but I don't see any other way to make the existing configuration work ..

One question for those that have already done this .. When you say you cut out the existing flange and pipe, I am assuming that what you did was remove the brass screws and cut the pipe right at the elbow ??

Thanks again guys ..

John

PS .. I am very disappointed with Camping World .. When I picked up the RV, the holding tanks were 2/3 full ... I was very anxious to get it home, so I told the service guys that I would have them empty it when I brought it back in a couple of weeks for some warranty work .. After all of this, now I know why they hadn't dumped it .. They had no way of doing it?

The outlet connection will rotate down if you hold it tight and rotate it by hand. I have mine angled down and have added a 45* clear elbow that I leave in place and simply put the plastic cover on the end of the elbow when not in use. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor...ml#post1490944

Yes, the assembly is glued together so you have to cut it apart at the elbow. Once the screws are removed it comes right out

So far it's working out great with the larger than average fittings on the Rhino Flex piping. There's also room to run the fresh water hose in along with it.

Removing the storage pipe can't affect the warranty in any way since it's simply and added on part of the bay and not the plumbing system.

I have another door assembly here if you want it

JohnG2013KT 04-22-2013 07:15 PM

A big Thank You !!!

Don ... Thanks for the tip about rotating the fitting ... After work I went out and it did indeed rotate .. So now the issue with it being pointed too high to attach the bayone is solved ... Unfortunately, the flange is not aligned with the cleanout ... off an inch or so .. So I wasn't able to hook it up ..

Talked with Thor today .. taking the RV to an independent authorized warranty service center close by (NOT Camping World) tomorrow morning .. to see what he can do ..

Thanks again ...
John

bdickson 04-22-2013 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnG2013KT (Post 1540958)
Don ... Thanks for the tip about rotating the fitting ... After work I went out and it did indeed rotate .. So now the issue with it being pointed too high to attach the bayone is solved ... Unfortunately, the flange is not aligned with the cleanout ... off an inch or so .. So I wasn't able to hook it up ..

Talked with Thor today .. taking the RV to an independent authorized warranty service center close by (NOT Camping World) tomorrow morning .. to see what he can do ..

Thanks again ...
John

The alignment on mine was off, but I was able to attach a bayonet with a little difficulty. I bought a short Rhino hose, cut off the bayonet end, fed the hose through the black pipe and reattached the bayonet with a hose clip. At the outer end, I attached a 45 degree clear angle fitting which I attached to the end of the black pipe with 4 stainless steel screws. I discarded the screw on cap and instead used a bayonet cap. Now I just swing out the black pipe and attach the slinky to the clear elbow without having to feed it through the tube every time. I think this may have been what Thor supplied the loose bayonet fitting for.

DGShaffer 04-23-2013 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnG2013KT (Post 1540958)
Unfortunately, the flange is not aligned with the cleanout ... off an inch or so .. So I wasn't able to hook it up ..
John

It almost sounds like they drilled the hole in the bottom of the bay in the wrong spot. Hopefully they can remedy this easily but I fear they'll have to elongate the hole and put in a patch of sorts. Let me know if you need any help with this.

camaromance 04-23-2013 10:24 AM

Don, just got back from PA. What a great trip. I'll post some pics soon. I did have one issue. I drove I68 north through rocky gap towing my Yukon. I had no problems going out or returning until I got a couple of miles from the house. When I pressed the brake pedal, it sounded like gravel from the front brakes. It was really bad. I took it to the Ford dealer today and on the way there, everything seemed to be normal. It was like nothing had happened. The brakes seemed fine with no fade or anything. I'm having them pull all the wheels and inspect the brakes anyway. Any ideas?

DGShaffer 04-23-2013 11:10 AM

Seems like just yesterday you left :cry2: Vacations never seem long enough. We were in Northern PA over the weekend an I woke up to a frozen water line!

Hopefully it isn't anything serious. Apart from a mounting bolt missing from a caliper, I can't imagine what it could have been. Could you feel it in the pedal?

camaromance 04-23-2013 12:45 PM

Don, yeah, I could feel it in the pedal. I could also feel it in the floor. I'll know something soon. I hope they find something (under warranty, of course) I would hate to not know what it was. Did your frozen line cause any damage? We got down to 28 but I also had the furnace running. When is this winter going to end?

DGShaffer 04-23-2013 02:24 PM

It was just the hose from the spigot outside. A flip of the water pump switch and we were back in business.

28 is pretty chilly! We were on a lake so the wind was a killer. We spent most of the weekend hiking with the dog so we were good.

Can't wait to see your photos from your trip

JohnG2013KT 04-23-2013 06:50 PM

Sewer hook probs solved ..

Took the RV over this morning to an outfit in Auburndale/Winter , Florida.. The tech jumped right on it .. and had it fixed in under 30 minutes ... He used an impact snip and trimmed just enough off of one side to allow the flange to move over approx 3/4" ... NOW .. at last, I can dump the holding tanks .. What a relief .. ha...ha ..

Now .. On to other issues .. When dry camping ... do the 110 volt outlets work? .. Fridge and TVs all come on, but the outlets do not appear to work? .. Gonna make it mighty hot at Talladega when we can't run the gen set from midnight to 6 am .. without a fan?

Any thoughts?

Nimrod ...