iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

bdickson 04-23-2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnG2013KT (Post 1542274)
Took the RV over this morning to an outfit in Auburndale/Winter , Florida.. The tech jumped right on it .. and had it fixed in under 30 minutes ... He used an impact snip and trimmed just enough off of one side to allow the flange to move over approx 3/4" ... NOW .. at last, I can dump the holding tanks .. What a relief .. ha...ha ..

Now .. On to other issues .. When dry camping ... do the 110 volt outlets work? .. Fridge and TVs all come on, but the outlets do not appear to work? .. Gonna make it mighty hot at Talladega when we can't run the gen set from midnight to 6 am .. without a fan?

Any thoughts?

Nimrod ...

If the TVs work when dry camping then you have an inverter. Some Challengers have a 600 watt under the bed, newer ones have an 1800 watt in the second compartment on the drivers side. Not all of the outlets work on inverter. In the bedroom of our 37GT for example, the outlet beside the bed does not work, but the one at the vanity below the TV does. You'll need to use a circuit tester to figure which ones work on inverter.

DGShaffer 04-23-2013 08:07 PM

I figured they were going to have to elongate that hole the way you described it. Thankfully they did it in a hurry. Did they re-attach the sewer pipe carrier?

Your inverter can only handle so much load so with that, it's only wired to a few outlets. I haven't tried locating myself yet so I can't tell you where they are. All you can do is take a receptacle tester and start plugging it in. I think the ceiling exhaust fans are 12 VDC so they'll keep the air moving a bit.

This is one of the reasons why people that boon-dock often retrofit their rigs with multiple battery banks and higher output inverters. Short of that, plan on sweating

camaromance 04-23-2013 09:27 PM

I use a Genturi exhaust stack on my gen set when we dry camp at Dover. It reduces the exhaust noise by more than half. I also put a rug on the ground under the gen set which really muffles the reflected noise. Not sure I could handle Alabama with no AC. John, maybe winter will still be here by the time you get to Talladega.

DGShaffer 04-24-2013 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaromance (Post 1542503)
John, maybe winter will still be here by the time you get to Talladega.

It's been pretty damn cold here in Jersey. I'm hoping for some warmth today. I'm planning a MC trip out to Boston for the 4th of July, I'm hoping I won't have to wear heated gear!

JohnG2013KT 04-24-2013 02:23 PM

Genturi ..

Stopping by CW on the way home .. to get the Genturi system .. Seems like the best solution .. Hopefully that will allow us to run the gen set at night in Talladega .. ?

Curious about what you guys are doing about satellite service? ..

The Tailgater seemed like a good solution initially .. But after finding out that it supports just one receiver, that's not gonna work .. Suffice it to say .. I didn't buy an RV with 4 stinkin TVs just so I could watch Dancing With The Stars ... I perfer to allow my lovely wife to sit on the couch watching the Stars sweat while I'm outside watching a baseball game ..

DirecTV is what I have at home, but they don't offer the ability to start/stop service without limits ..

Comments?

JohnG2013KT 04-24-2013 02:25 PM

Genturi Question

Jimmy ...

Did you buy an extension for the genturi? .. Not at home so I cannot go out and measure it ... .?

John

DGShaffer 04-24-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnG2013KT (Post 1543313)
Stopping by CW on the way home .. to get the Genturi system .. Seems like the best solution .. Hopefully that will allow us to run the gen set at night in Talladega .. ?

Curious about what you guys are doing about satellite service? ..

The Tailgater seemed like a good solution initially .. But after finding out that it supports just one receiver, that's not gonna work .. Suffice it to say .. I didn't buy an RV with 4 stinkin TVs just so I could watch Dancing With The Stars ... I perfer to allow my lovely wife to sit on the couch watching the Stars sweat while I'm outside watching a baseball game ..

DirecTV is what I have at home, but they don't offer the ability to start/stop service without limits ..

Comments?

"Dancing With The Stars" :dance: :rofl:

Did you see if the Direct TV company has the ability to relocate your receivers into your RV? Some companies also only charge a small amount to give you added RV service.

I bought the Tailgater. The campsite I had over the weekend was so tree lined that it was useless anyway!

camaromance 04-24-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnG2013KT (Post 1543318)
Jimmy ...

Did you buy an extension for the genturi? .. Not at home so I cannot go out and measure it ... .?

John

Mine came in a bag with 2 exhaust stacks and the sleeve that goes over the exhaust on the gen set. I haven't used it on my KT yet and its at the dealer. Actually got up from my seat to go measure it, made it halfway to the door before I realized it. Getting old sucks. It cleared the roofline on my class c but now that you mention it, I'm not sure it would clear the KT. CW should be able to tell you. Just looked online. The Genturi is 124"or 10'3". That would not clear the roofline by 6 inches as recommended. I would get the extension.

JohnG2013KT 04-24-2013 08:43 PM

Genuri continued ... lol

Ok .. I stopped by CW on I4 at the Lazy Days site . WOW .. A huge store .. I bought the basic package ... In less than 5 minutes had it installed .. It looks like it technically clears the roof by 6 inches .. But I think that I will order an extension from Camco ..... just to get it above the vents.

One concern is the kitchen window? Unfortunately the pipe goes right next to the kitchen window?? My plan is to just let it push out from the side 18" or so ... to vent away from the RV ...

Also, if you've looked at the video on the CAMCO site ... the double sided hooks that they reference are not part of the pkg ... duh!! Going to Lowes tomorrow at lunch to get some suction cups . Not to keen on riveting anything to the side of my RV ..

All in all .. The unit looks like it will work and should allow us to run the gen set at night in Talladega .. ?

BTW .. The guys at CW had no idea about an extension? .. Is this normal for CW ... Everytime I ask something out of the ordinary, no one seems to know anything?

John

bdickson 04-25-2013 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnG2013KT (Post 1543776)

BTW .. The guys at CW had no idea about an extension? .. Is this normal for CW ... Everytime I ask something out of the ordinary, no one seems to know anything?

John

The only people I've found who can help in CW are the Service Advisors. Sometimes they'll come out from behind the desk and answer questions. The retail store staff are just cashiers and shelf stockers. They have no clue what they are selling.

I found a dealership in Fort Worth TX called United RV. They have a huge accessory store with very knowledgeable people. The name on their catalog is Route 66, and I think there may be other Route 66 parts stores inside RV dealerships. Anyone else seen them?

camaromance 05-16-2013 05:04 PM

John, how was Talladega?

JohnG2013KT 05-17-2013 10:06 AM

Talladega ..

We had a fantastic time .. in spite of the monsoon and cold temps !!! ...

Our parking spot was terrific .. Close by the restrooms/showers .. and only a 10-15 minute walk to our seats .. right on the start / finish line ..

Our first stop was in Albany, GA at the Albany RV Resort .. nice folks and plenty of room for a novice to maneuver ... As this was my first time to rollout the awnings .. I immediately screwed that up .. all I remembered from the walk-thru was to grab the strap and walk to the end .. ? .. So I did and let go .. and the awning rolled up .. along with the strap!!!! .. ouch!! ... I borrowed a ladder and was able to unravel my mess .. ha.. ha... learned my lesson the hard way ...

The drive to Talladega from there .. was uneventful .. and as mentioned above, our camping spot in 'Winners Walk II' was just perfect ..

As for the racing .. well .. even with the long delays and rain it was great .. NASCAR did a good job of getting the race in ...

I do have one question .. (I will be the first to admit, that I am not the greatest driver .. ok .. my wife will say that I am a terrible driver, my mind tends to wander.. :whistling:) .. I felt like the RV was swerving all over the road? .. Granted it was raining and windy ..But I seem to have to saw the wheel back and forth all day long? .. At times, on certain sections of I75 it was better, but not anything like driving my pickup ..?

Is this normal? Just something that comes with the program?

John

camaromance 05-17-2013 04:47 PM

John, glad to hear you had a great time. I missed the last hour...stupid DVR.

My previous RV was a 31' class c and I thought it drove horrible. To me, my KT drives like dream in comparison. But as you pointed out, it can be a handful. The wind does push it around if its blowing hard. I think as you get more time behind the wheel, you'll figure out what works. For me, I don't think I will ever become totally relaxed, not like when driving a car. But considering its 38' long, as wide as it is, that's probably a good thing. It certainly does not drive itself and requires constant correction depending the condition of the roads, traffic and weather. You have to drive it.

So did you get a full hookup at the track? Were you able to run your gen-set at night? Just curious.

mavric65 05-18-2013 07:08 PM

Well i went to a local RV show today and looked at the 37DT and loved it they had it marked down to 104000 but i think they may go a little lower does anyone know what the lowest price one could get this unit for.. This thing had everything except dual pane windows and it even had a 1800 watt inverter .... Really thinking of upgrading in the near future but my coach has had near zero issues since new and would hate to get a new one with a bunch of problems but i know its a crap shoot...
Feel free to chime in everyone
Thanks