iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

DGShaffer 05-25-2013 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaromance (Post 1578008)
We have 2013 37KT and love it. In fact, we'll be spending the holiday weekend in it. Heading into southern jersey for the weekend. Needed the NJ sticker for my map.

Where are you? We're in Freehold at Turkey Swamp Park! We'll be heading out to Belmar and Point Pleasant on Sunday

camaromance 05-26-2013 09:44 AM

Hey Don,

We're at wading pines till Monday.

camaromance 05-26-2013 09:48 AM

Bruce,
We have to stay overnight to get the sticker. Walmarts and truckstops count. Last year on our way to st Louis., I missed out on Indiana cause we drove straight through. Dems da rules.

bdickson 05-26-2013 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaromance (Post 1581176)
Bruce,
We have to stay overnight to get the sticker. Walmarts and truckstops count. Last year on our way to st Louis., I missed out on Indiana cause we drove straight through. Dems da rules.

Oh, you're tough! A meal stop is enough for us to count a sticker. We drove all the way up the east coast a couple of years ago and frequently did 3 or 4 states in a day.

DGShaffer 05-26-2013 03:36 PM

We just got in from a ride through Belmar, Point Pleasant, Toms River and Seaside. Although the tourist areas are getting back to normal, the outlying areas are still looking like a war zone. This was our first trip there since the day before Sandy came ashore. It's heartbreaking to see what those people have yet to endure.

Sorry I didn't get this earlier Jim or I would have taken the ride south. I hope you're enjoying your stay. Today's weather is spectacular!

bdickson 05-26-2013 06:02 PM

Got a question. Our 37GT has a 1600 watt inverter. When not on shore power or generator, the inverter powers the TV outlets, the cabinet with the bomb and DVD player, the outlet at the passenger seat and the bedroom TV and outlet below it. If I pull the shore power there is about a 2 second delay before these outlets get power from the inverter. But here's the thing: the transfer switch is only 2 way, not 3 way. And I pulled the access panel in the kitchen inside the cabinet below the wine rack, and there is a junction box labelled TV. It has one flexible rubber cable going to the slide bundle, and two solid copper 3 wire cables. All 3 whites, all 3 blacks and all 3 grounds are tied together. Does this mean that there is no transfer switch for the inverter, and it presumably just senses a loss of 120 and kicks in after a couple of seconds? What happens when shore power is restored? There must be a moment when both shore power and inverter power are going to the junction box, or am I missing something?

rvbunz 05-29-2013 07:38 PM

Well we are waiting on the final approval from the bank for financing on our new 2013 Challenegr 37DT. We are looking to trade in our 2003 Damon Challenger for the 2013 at Camping World Statesville, NC. Deal made just waitng on bank. They called yesterday to verify employment so that is a good sign. Hopefully we will pick it up by the weekend. Wish us luck.

Bob
Capt USMC (Ret)
2003 Damon Challenger

rvbunz 05-29-2013 07:43 PM

bdickson,
I notice you have added additional steering and sway products to your coach. As I posted above we hope to pick up a new Challenegr this week end, and I currently have sway controls on my 2003 challenger. I called roadmaster to see if I could transfer the Davis Tru trac to the new coach and they said no need, new ford chassis already had trac bars. Did you find a need to add them to yours?

Bob
Capt USMC (Ret)
2003 Damon Challenger

camaromance 05-29-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1581507)
We just got in from a ride through Belmar, Point Pleasant, Toms River and Seaside. Although the tourist areas are getting back to normal, the outlying areas are still looking like a war zone. This was our first trip there since the day before Sandy came ashore. It's heartbreaking to see what those people have yet to endure.

Sorry I didn't get this earlier Jim or I would have taken the ride south. I hope you're enjoying your stay. Today's weather is spectacular!

No worries, Don. Maybe we'll get a chance to meet up before the seasons over.

We had great time. Wading Pines is on of the best campgrounds we've been to. Not that the facilities were great, they were good enough. It was the people. Everyone was awesome, the staff, the seasonal folks. Our new friend Mary Ann who camped behind us, she would not have anything to do with me buying wood from the camp store. She gave me some home-made starter candles and made sure we had more than enough wood for the fire. Truly awesome campers. Met a couple from Lancaster who were a couple of nuts, just like we are. What a great weekend. It was what camping is supposed be about.

bdickson 05-29-2013 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1585568)
bdickson,
I notice you have added additional steering and sway products to your coach. As I posted above we hope to pick up a new Challenegr this week end, and I currently have sway controls on my 2003 challenger. I called roadmaster to see if I could transfer the Davis Tru trac to the new coach and they said no need, new ford chassis already had trac bars. Did you find a need to add them to yours?

Bob
Capt USMC (Ret)
2003 Damon Challenger

Bob, the Challenger on the F53 22,000lb chassis comes with a front track bar but not rear. I added the rear because I could feel a definite tail wagging. I replaced the sway bars because the Ford sway bars are inadequate and I have mixed opinions about the Cheap Handling Fix (Google it in IRV2).

DGShaffer 05-30-2013 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1585562)
Well we are waiting on the final approval from the bank for financing on our new 2013 Challenegr 37DT. We are looking to trade in our 2003 Damon Challenger for the 2013 at Camping World Statesville, NC. Deal made just waitng on bank. They called yesterday to verify employment so that is a good sign. Hopefully we will pick it up by the weekend. Wish us luck.

Bob
Capt USMC (Ret)
2003 Damon Challenger

Welcome to the thread. Good luck getting everything squared away for the new camping season.

After putting 30k on my 08 Outlaw and now just over 3k on my Challenger, I've learned how to handle my MH without adding all the sway control that others seem to and never felt like it needed it. It's a heavy top loaded box and I drive it that way. To each his or her own though.

TXBart 06-15-2013 06:18 PM

We are halfway through our first trip since my front end alignment issue (each wheel toe-in was off over 1.25"). We drove 1,707 miles the last 5 days. The difference in handling and road noise is amazing! It is much easier to control in wind and we hit some winds in eastern to central Wyoming day before yesterday up to about 50 mph! The mileage doesn't seem to be any better.

DGShaffer 06-17-2013 06:19 AM

I'm considering having a truck garage look at my 37DT. From what I've been reading, we all seem to have a significant lean towards the passenger side.

I noticed that during this last heavy rain that the seals on the drivers side slide are leaking and with the lean, the water ran over into the stair well. When I put it away on Sunday I deployed the levelers and got it leveled then threw in a little more lean towards that slide. I hope to avoid another soaking of the floor before I can get it back to the dealer for the repair

bdickson 06-17-2013 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1607429)
I'm considering having a truck garage look at my 37DT. From what I've been reading, we all seem to have a significant lean towards the passenger side.

I noticed that during this last heavy rain that the seals on the drivers side slide are leaking and with the lean, the water ran over into the stair well. When I put it away on Sunday I deployed the levelers and got it leveled then threw in a little more lean towards that slide. I hope to avoid another soaking of the floor before I can get it back to the dealer for the repair

When I had my 37GT in at Hendersons for suspension work, they told me the coach was 2 inches lower on the passenger side. They could fix it by installing blocks between the springs and axles. Since they described it as "cosmetic" I didn't get it done as my bill was already over $6,000. So far, touch wood, I have had no leaking issues with the slides.