iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

DGShaffer 06-17-2013 08:44 AM

I had a noise issue with my slide and the dealer shimmed it. I'm sure they created the leak as well.

Mine has to be leaning that same amount and from what our long lost friend John said early on in this thread, the remedy was as you describe.

EdBurnett 06-17-2013 02:29 PM

We just purchased our 37DT weekend before last. I didn't really put much thought to what my wife said to me this past week when she was following me and made the comment that she thought the MH was leaning slightly to the right. Now that Ive read these posts it has my attention now. We've experienced no leakage but My wife and I will be taking it back out this week and will have her follow me I. The CRV and record the MH on our dashcam.

camaromance 06-17-2013 06:52 PM

Is the lean common to only the DT models? I haven't noticed anything like that with my KT.

Is it obvious that there is an issue with weight distribution on the passenger side of the coach?

I haven't really paid attention but I would think that all of our MH's are laid out the same from the floor down. Meaning the tanks and stows are all the same.

If so, what would be causing so much weight on the passenger side?

DGShaffer 06-17-2013 07:12 PM

Doesn't your KT have a full wall slide on the drivers side?

camaromance 06-17-2013 07:25 PM

The full wall slide is on the passenger side along with the sofa slide. The only slide on the driver side is the tv/fireplace. My kitchen is on the drivers side, also. Maybe that evens out the weight distribution.

DGShaffer 06-18-2013 03:44 AM

It must be that your weight is more uniformly distributed. Eventually I'll contact Thor and see what they have to say.

I hope you're enjoying your summer!

EdBurnett 06-18-2013 08:05 AM

I'm definitely going to reassess my cargo bay for weight considerations. Not sure that my tools would cause that much shift but it's a consideration.
I have 3 slides. As you look at the rig 1 for table and L shape sofa plus TV on the right, 2 slides on the left. One for kitchen area plus fridge and back-room dresser slide out. But when pulled in and going down the road that shouldn't make it slightly lean towards the passenger side. I'll find out more this week when I bring the rig back over to the house.

DGShaffer 06-18-2013 08:26 AM

This is a weight issue related to the coach and not so much the weight in the bins. One user had the issue when the bins were empty as well so he had a truck shop add 1-1/2" spacers in between the chassis and suspension. The rig is well under the axle weight limits so it's not an overload condition.

If you speak with Thor before I do, let us all know what they say.

bdickson 06-18-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1608947)
This is a weight issue related to the coach and not so much the weight in the bins. One user had the issue when the bins were empty as well so he had a truck shop add 1-1/2" spacers in between the chassis and suspension. The rig is well under the axle weight limits so it's not an overload condition.

If you speak with Thor before I do, let us all know what they say.

Hendersons told me I needed 2 inch spacers, so it sounds like the same ballpark. I was loaded up but they did a 4 corner weigh and I was within 100 pounds on all 4 corners. The technician said that a slight list to one side is very common.

DGShaffer 06-19-2013 05:27 AM

To say that "it's very common" is something that I've noticed personally with all of the motor homes I've looked at. Slightly to the point of unnoticeable maybe but mine, and by the sounds of it yours, lean significantly.

To think that the 4 corners come in within 100 pounds of one another sounds odd. John posted earlier that he saw a 600 pound difference from right to left which sounds like it could cause an issue. I've only been able to weigh the front and rear so I can't say what mine weighs right to left

camaromance 06-19-2013 06:23 PM

If you added spacers to the suspension as suggested, I believe it would change how your coach handles. Maybe not much but it think installed spacers, especially on the front, would make the spring rates different. However, if there is a weight difference between the right and the left sides, that would cause weird things to happen when going over bumps at speed. Maybe spacers would cancel that out. I dunno, just trying to help.

DGShaffer 06-20-2013 05:21 AM

I'm with you on the spring rates but that's already the case as the suspension is already compressed. Adding the spacers would simply level the coach. Going around a left hand turns with the center of gravity already shifted to the right exaggerates the lean. I was hoping that by shifting the center of gravity back to center might improve the ride. Having said that, I'm happy with the ride and handling now, I just dislike the lean

camaromance 06-20-2013 07:39 AM

Unfortunately, all your weight from the kitchen and bathroom vanity is about as far from centerline as it can get. If 600lbs is truly the weight difference, that's really not that much ballast to spread around on the other side. Maybe get some lead stock and put 100lbs on the outside edge of each stow. You might could pour it to fit in the grooves on the bottom of the stow. Not sure how long that would last before the bottom of the stowage compartment started to separate, though

DGShaffer 06-20-2013 08:01 AM

I think you're right and although I like your creativity, floating a layer of lead into the storage bays might cause issues with the EPA. I could let a bunch of air out of the DS tires