iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

DGShaffer 06-26-2013 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M72561 (Post 1619373)
I picked up my 2014 37kt a month ago and have been camping 3 times.

Congratulations on the new MH. Best of luck with it. I haven't had any direct dealings with Thor but I've heard of others having good experiences with them. My local dealer has been pretty good in handling my issues which required approval from Thor so I'm pretty happy there.

Unlike a lot of people that own large gas class A motor homes, I don't buy into the added handling fix. I drive it as it's supposed to be driven, understanding that it's a top heavy, wind catching box and I accept it. I let it sway and never had a problem. From what I know, when you try to stop a top heave box from swaying by locking up the axle, your inside wheel is getting light and your outside wheel is taking on that exaggerated load in a turn which creates another situation all together.

To each his or her own though.

TXBart 06-26-2013 08:20 AM

We are very happy with our 37GT, had it since March have spent over 30 nights in it and put over 9,000 miles on it.

I have had one dealing with Thor over front end alignment and they did very well by me. They said they appreciate feedback and ways to improve their quality control. Looks like a systemic issue with ladder screws; there is no torsion on them as the coach moves so it's obviously an issue of torque value set too high on the screw gun.

Screws, nuts, bolts, etc coming loose is the main reason I carry a cordless drill in the coach.

The coach is going to the dealer tomorrow with a list of about 14 items from ladder screws, to flat inflatable bed, to awning coming apart. I don't have any RV experience other than this one but I don't feel that is a bad list.

I would buy another Thor and would recommend it to a friend.

bdickson 06-26-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXBart (Post 1619450)
We are very happy with our 37GT, had it since March have spent over 30 nights in it and put over 9,000 miles on it.

I have had one dealing with Thor over front end alignment and they did very well by me. They said they appreciate feedback and ways to improve their quality control. Looks like a systemic issue with ladder screws; there is no torsion on them as the coach moves so it's obviously an issue of torque value set too high on the screw gun.

Screws, nuts, bolts, etc coming loose is the main reason I carry a cordless drill in the coach.

The coach is going to the dealer tomorrow with a list of about 14 items from ladder screws, to flat inflatable bed, to awning coming apart. I don't have any RV experience other than this one but I don't feel that is a bad list.

I would buy another Thor and would recommend it to a friend.

We've had very similar experiences. Bought our 37GT in March and have full timed in it ever since. On day 2 away from the dealer the couch slide would not extend, it went out about a foot and started torquing. Thor tech support talked me through a few things and then had me take it to the closest dealer (CW in Albuquerque). They found the problem to be a screw that had backed out and was jamming the mechanism. Other than that, just a small water leak under one sink in the kitchen. We were nowhere near a dealer so Thor authorized me to take it to a non Thor dealer and send in the bill. I've done a few mods, most importantly I cut off the permanently wired 50 amp power cable and installed a twist lock connector because I hated having to drag 25 feet of power cord through the hole every time.

DGShaffer 06-27-2013 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 1619564)
I cut off the permanently wired 50 amp power cable and installed a twist lock connector because I hated having to drag 25 feet of power cord through the hole every time.

I'm almost there :thumb:

EdBurnett 06-27-2013 08:38 AM

Good idea. I was thinking about installing a small reel in the compartment that way all I have to do is free wheel it out and then crank it in when I'm preparing to go..

bdickson 06-27-2013 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdBurnett (Post 1620649)
Good idea. I was thinking about installing a small reel in the compartment that way all I have to do is free wheel it out and then crank it in when I'm preparing to go..

That would be nice except I already used some of the space by installing a Progressive Industries voltage regulator and surge suppressor. Rolling up the cable is easy, I just unplug it and drop the end through the hatch.

DGShaffer 06-27-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 1620656)
I just unplug it and drop the end through the hatch.

I think I'll be doing that soon. I also think the present cable is a bit on the short side. I think another ten feet bight help as well as a more pliable cable.

You da man Bruce!

bdickson 06-27-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1620974)
I think I'll be doing that soon. I also think the present cable is a bit on the short side. I think another ten feet bight help as well as a more pliable cable.

You da man Bruce!

In fact, I have ordered the pieces from CW to make up another power cable. I plan to use 4 core 6 gauge wire from Lowes or Home Depot. I made one up for my previous coach and it was lighter weight and much more pliable than the original. I will make it a 30 foot cable (I think the original is 25). I also ordered a spare female 50 amp connector to turn the original cable into an extension should I ever need it. Let me know if you need the part references.

TXBart 07-04-2013 03:52 PM

We just bailed out on Thor Challenger Owner unification and closed the deal to trade our Challenger on a new coach. We were very happy with our Challenger with the exception of climbing and a lot of our planned trips include a lot of mountains in the northwest and northeast.

sam72143 07-13-2013 12:40 AM

Airlift

I am new to the forum and bought my 37kt in January. Not a lot of miles on it yet but a lot of time in it. For the leaning issue on my 2013 37kt I put airlift under it. It helped a lot.:)

DGShaffer 07-13-2013 12:23 PM

Welcome to the thread and congratulations on the new KT.

Interesting. What does an airlift unit run and is it something a DIY guy can do? We've put 2k miles on our since late February and have camped out on 7 trips so far.

Other than air ride, have you added any other modifications?

Mike 1000 08-08-2013 06:27 AM

We took delivery of our 2013 Challenger 37DT yesterday. Some minor issues, but happy so far. After peak camping season is over, dealer will install new linoleum floor; original damaged by extension on L-shaped couch with collapsed wheel. Spent the day cleaning, as dealer's "detailer" did lousy job. Loading the coach today.
On advice of friend, I cut and varnished some 10"x10"/2" blocks of pressure treated wood to place under leveling jacks with holes in middle and a wooden rod with bolt through end to stick in holes in wood blocks to move them into position without reaching under rv. Next project is replacing tacky floor vents with vents pictured early in the thread (thanks for pics).
Then I will have to continue reading this thread to the end for other ideas and info. Thanks for great thread!

bigdonedmon 08-08-2013 06:36 AM

Mike, Pay attention to slide noise when you take it on the road. There is quite a few of us 2013 Challenger 37DT owners with this problem.....

DGShaffer 08-08-2013 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike 1000 (Post 1676640)
We took delivery of our 2013 Challenger 37DT yesterday. Some minor issues, but happy so far. After peak camping season is over, dealer will install new linoleum floor; original damaged by extension on L-shaped couch with collapsed wheel. Spent the day cleaning, as dealer's "detailer" did lousy job. Loading the coach today.
On advice of friend, I cut and varnished some 10"x10"/2" blocks of pressure treated wood to place under leveling jacks with holes in middle and a wooden rod with bolt through end to stick in holes in wood blocks to move them into position without reaching under rv. Next project is replacing tacky floor vents with vents pictured early in the thread (thanks for pics).
Then I will have to continue reading this thread to the end for other ideas and info. Thanks for great thread!

Ha! Mine had the same damage to the linoleum from the couch wheels! I have a laundry list of issues after just 3k miles but as you, I'm letting the list grow and just waiting until October so they can keep it there for a few months.

If you decide you don't like the externally mounted slinky tube, I have another replacement swing door that I made for mine. You can find photos earlier in this thread.

The noise noted in the slides has gotten quite less over time so hopefully its the new rubber on the paint and they'll all start to go away over time.

Good luck on your shake down trip!