iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

DGShaffer 08-13-2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike 1000 (Post 1684278)
Loving just about everything on our new 2013 Challenger 37DT, but sure wish the awning went out further from the coach. The one on my last RV, a Four Winds 25C, extended several feet further. Between the shortness of the one on the Challenger and the height of the awning above the ground, it doesn't seem like it will give us much protection from sun or rain. I can't think of any solution.

I also have a set of globe lights that I'll never see mounted on the awning of this thing either

camaromance 08-14-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike 1000 (Post 1684278)
Loving just about everything on our new 2013 Challenger 37DT, but sure wish the awning went out further from the coach. The one on my last RV, a Four Winds 25C, extended several feet further. Between the shortness of the one on the Challenger and the height of the awning above the ground, it doesn't seem like it will give us much protection from sun or rain. I can't think of any solution.

Not sure if you noticed but you can adjust the pitch of the smaller electric awning. If we're talking about the same awning, extend it a few inches and push in the buttons on the side of the awning arm while pushing up from the bottom of the same awning arm. It makes a difference, not a drastic one but maybe enough to meet your needs.

camaromance 08-14-2013 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike 1000 (Post 1684273)

Jimmy, I'm insect-proofing my 2013 Challenger DT now. I already have screens to keep insects out of the furnace and hot water heater and screens for the long openings in the refridgerator grates. Have you found a clever solution to screening the small openings on each side of the long openings in the refridgerator grates?:angel:

Sorry, no I haven't. I didn't put any screens over the fridge grates. Maybe some gorilla tape on the inside would work. I doubt those little vents will effect much if you tape them.

DGShaffer 08-15-2013 05:59 AM

I've located a place to get the 4 corners of mt 37DT weighed so I unload it tonight and then get it weighed in the "as delivered" condition. I've located a ford truck center with bays big enough to fit the MH so that they can propose a solution to the lean I'm seeing in my DT. If the weight comes in as an out of balance design I'm thinking Ford will claim this as the reason fo the lean. I'll let them fix it and deal with Thor for reimbursement. I have a November 18th service date out in Elkheart so that they can go over the coach and fix a leak in the DS slide that I feel was caused by my local CW when they tried to fix the squeaking noise.

I also have a laundry list of other things for them to go over. I've heard nothing but great reviews of the experience at the factory so I'm pretty excited to see the place.

I'll post my weights after I get them on Saturday so if any of you are seeing the same issue you may want to consider contacting Thor.

Two slides, dual door fridge, heavy counter tops, microwave, stove, fresh water tank, dual bathroom sinks, washer dryer, and propane tank all on one side?

sbleiweiss 08-16-2013 07:56 AM

My DT has all those things on the passenger side too, with no lean. I would note that I believe the freshwater tank extends all the way accross the coach even though it accesses on the passenger side.

I might disagree slightly with your assessment that Thor in Elkhart is so great. My DT is there now for the second time since buying in in April 2013. Everything that has been wrong with our unit could fill a horror novel, but for now let me jsut say that several things they supposedly fixed the first visit still need fixing now.

DGShaffer 08-17-2013 04:44 AM

I'll post my personal assessment after my appointment. For now I'll be going by the reviews which all seem to be spectacular. Even my dealer told me that if I could get out there to go because they've heard nothing but good things.

I'm getting it weighed this morning and I'm curious to see what the corner weights look like. I made a friend here with a 37DT that had a suspension shop install 1-1/2" spacers to compensate for the lean so I'll let me Ford Chassis shop propose a fix.

Sorry to hear about your issues though. I guess I'm fortunate.

DGShaffer 08-17-2013 09:48 AM

Well, she's been weighed and subsequently reloaded with all my traveling gear. I took this time to clean the bays, remove stuff I never use and make an effort to shift some weight right to left.

I have a friend that has a metal supply business so he has scales in his floor that weighs 10 ton steel coils. All I had to do was to maneuver each wheel over the scale. It's inside his building so it was a little tricky.

As I mentioned, I cleared out all the bays, filled the water tank 1/2 full, filled the gas tank and the propane is over 3/4 full. The refrigerator and cabinets were also empty.

Here are my weights:
Passenger side rear = 7320
Passenger side front = 3210
Drivers side front = 3440
Drivers side rear = 6300

The difference from the DS to the PS = 700 towards the PS
The difference from the DS rear to the PS rear = 930 towards the PS
The difference from the DS front to the PS front = 230 towards the DS

Front axle = 6,650 - minus 8k rating = 1350 under
Rear axle = 13,530 - minus 15k rating = 1470 under

Hopefully these corner weights may be of some us to other 37DT owners. As you can see, the passenger side was over built by 700 pounds but by 903 pounds on the rear wheels and this I would suspect is mainly due to the two slides but the propane tank, dual sinks, heavy counter tops and refrigerator surely out weight the leveling pump, batteries, and generator. I would suspect that the 230 over on the drivers side front is mainly due to the leveling pump and batteries though.

M72561 08-31-2013 09:54 AM

looking for some info on wiring a toad to my 2014 challenger 37kt. I have a 2001 Jeep grand cherokee. Blue ox tow bar with a blue ox base plate. I have the 7 pin blue cord that will plug into the back of my 37Kt . Info on a brake system would be welvcomed also and how it all ties into the electrical system

M72561 08-31-2013 03:14 PM

Anyone hook up direct tv in a 2014 37 it. Going on a 2 week vacation this weekend and need some help

DGShaffer 08-31-2013 05:30 PM

Sorry I can't help you

rvbunz 08-31-2013 06:19 PM

M72561,
If You Would Like To Give Me A Call, I Would Be Glad To Help You. It Is Easier Talking Than Back And Forth In Post. So Feel Free To Call@ 910 389 8865.

camaromance 09-01-2013 07:54 AM

Hey Don,

How did the trip to Indiana work out for you? Been meaning to reply to your weight posting. Very interesting how the one side has all the weight.

I'm sitting in the Walmart in Lehighton, Pa on my way back from Syracuse. Spent the week at Ta-Ga-Soke on lake Oneida. Nice place. A LOT of bugs. Holy crap. Defiantly bug zapper territory.

I've been thinking about the lean you have and was also looking for an air ride suspension. I would use it more for leveling the coach before I put down the jacks. Anyway, Firestone's Ride-rite system seemed promising but it excludes Thor motorhomes exclusively. It works on all other F-53 chassis's. I sent an email to Firestone but have not heard anything back yet.

rvbunz 09-01-2013 08:31 AM

Adjust Awning

FYI, in case you didn't know you can adjust the awning so that it will give a little better protection from the sun. It will never be like the awnings that don't come out over a slide. you owners manual for the awning shows you how to adjust.

TPB 09-04-2013 10:04 AM

TPB

Any one having problems with there Leather captains chairs