iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

DGShaffer 09-04-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaromance (Post 1709174)
Hey Don,

How did the trip to Indiana work out for you? Been meaning to reply to your weight posting. Very interesting how the one side has all the weight.

I'm sitting in the Walmart in Lehighton, Pa on my way back from Syracuse. Spent the week at Ta-Ga-Soke on lake Oneida. Nice place. A LOT of bugs. Holy crap. Defiantly bug zapper territory.

I've been thinking about the lean you have and was also looking for an air ride suspension. I would use it more for leveling the coach before I put down the jacks. Anyway, Firestone's Ride-rite system seemed promising but it excludes Thor motorhomes exclusively. It works on all other F-53 chassis's. I sent an email to Firestone but have not heard anything back yet.

My appointment is for November 18th. I was going to have a local shop look at it but I was thinking that I wanted Thor to see it first. This issue should be between them and Ford but I know I'll have to fight for this one.

I'm excited about heading to the factory. I can overnight in the RV right in their lot and then find things to do during the day. I might bring my Dog to keep me company :D

JohnG2013KT 09-06-2013 04:20 PM

Awning not closing ..

On my 2013 KT, the big awning will not roll up without someone pushing it closed the last 3 feet or so... Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions as to why it's not closing or better yet, how to fix it? ..

Also .. We just returned from a great trip up to the NASCAR race at Atlanta Motor Speedway ... We parked right across the street from the main gate ... so it was easy access .. The only problem was the heat .. man o man . it was hoT... The RV did great and we had a great time ..

camaromance 09-06-2013 04:38 PM

Hey John,

Mine does the same thing. I think the important part is the aluminum clamshell cover wraps around like its supposed to. Also, I never really liked it when it slammed shut anyway. I haven't had any problems with it. Glad you enjoyed Atlanta. It's one of my favorite tracks. Did your AC's keep up with the heat? I was in St. Louis a year ago in 110 degree heat. My AC's couldn't keep up with the heat. I thought I had a problem but everyone in the park was dealing with the same situation so I figured it was normal.

camaromance 09-06-2013 04:51 PM

I just did the round trip from MD to Syracuse, NY. I was towing my Yukon and averaged about 4.6 mpg. Does anyone else get the same? When not towing, I can get around 8.5mpg. My best yet was 10.2 heading through the flat parts of Illinois. I'm not complaining. I knew what I was getting into with a V-10 in a 38' motorhome. I'm just curious to see what others are getting. If you have the 5 star tune, did you see a difference afterwards? I plan on getting the tune prior to my big trip to Tennessee this winter. I'm also looking for a smaller toad, as well. I really like the Subaru WRX Sport. Any other suggestions?

bdickson 09-06-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaromance (Post 1717094)
I just did the round trip from MD to Syracuse, NY. I was towing my Yukon and averaged about 4.6 mpg. Does anyone else get the same? When not towing, I can get around 8.5mpg. My best yet was 10.2 heading through the flat parts of Illinois. I'm not complaining. I knew what I was getting into with a V-10 in a 38' motorhome. I'm just curious to see what others are getting. If you have the 5 star tune, did you see a difference afterwards? I plan on getting the tune prior to my big trip to Tennessee this winter. I'm also looking for a smaller toad, as well. I really like the Subaru WRX Sport. Any other suggestions?

My overall mpg for 5,000 miles towing a CR-V is 7.3. I installed the 5 Star about 1,000 miles ago. Too early to tell for sure, but I think I'm improving by about 0.4 mpg.

DGShaffer 09-07-2013 06:34 PM

I get near 7MPG but I haven't done a lot of towing, I drive too fast!

As far as the awning issue. Mine runs pretty slow but always seems to make it. I have to ask... are you winding it in the right direction? These will roll up backwards if you let them!

DGShaffer 09-07-2013 06:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Time to unload the Kawasaki. I just added this Road King to the garage.

camaromance 09-07-2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1718439)
Time to unload the Kawasaki. I just added this Road King to the garage.

Nice bike, don. Big, too. How far can you lean that road king over?

rvbunz 09-08-2013 08:35 AM

We had a long trip this summer while on a 13 day caravan through Yellowstone, Cody and Jackson Hole Wy. We left NC headed to Elkhart, then to Mt Rushmore and on to Buffalo Wy to meet up with the caravan. We averaged about 7.5 mpg towing a 2008 GMC Arcadia. This is about .5 mpg less than I was getting with my 2003 Damon Challenger with the V10 and Banks installed. The new Challenger 37DT is a bit heavier and I do have the 5 star tuning on it. So I think the extra weight takes up that loss of .5 mpg. Comparing the 5 star tuning to the Banks, I think I got more power out of the banks. It is hard to tell since the new coach is on a heavier chassis. But like I have told many at the gas pumps when they ask about my mileage is "That if I have too worry about the mpg, I shouldn't own an RV" I love the traveling and meeting new freinds, and that outweighs the fuel cost. Stay safe and happy travels to all.

DGShaffer 09-08-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaromance (Post 1718694)
Nice bike, don. Big, too. How far can you lean that road king over?

I'll have to wait to find out, I'm just getting used to it. I does handle a lot better than the old 75 FL Shovel Head I had years back though.

DGShaffer 09-08-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1719019)
We had a long trip this summer while on a 13 day caravan through Yellowstone, Cody and Jackson Hole Wy. We left NC headed to Elkhart, then to Mt Rushmore and on to Buffalo Wy to meet up with the caravan. We averaged about 7.5 mpg towing a 2008 GMC Arcadia. This is about .5 mpg less than I was getting with my 2003 Damon Challenger with the V10 and Banks installed. The new Challenger 37DT is a bit heavier and I do have the 5 star tuning on it. So I think the extra weight takes up that loss of .5 mpg. Comparing the 5 star tuning to the Banks, I think I got more power out of the banks. It is hard to tell since the new coach is on a heavier chassis. But like I have told many at the gas pumps when they ask about my mileage is "That if I have too worry about the mpg, I shouldn't own an RV" I love the traveling and meeting new freinds, and that outweighs the fuel cost. Stay safe and happy travels to all.

Here, here! These things aren't economy cars or an investment in anything other than good times!

camaromance 09-08-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1719578)

Here, here! These things aren't economy cars or an investment in anything other than good times!

That is too true. I'm making up for all the lost time. Good friends, good food, good beer and good times. Love it!

TPB 09-09-2013 09:03 AM

TPB

any one out there had problems with the leather on there captain chairs
the factory knows they had a problem but won't stand behind it

bdickson 09-09-2013 06:50 PM

Had a severe thunderstorm come through last evening. Weather channel said winds to 50mph and torrential rain. Certainly felt like it, we were rocking on the jacks for 20 minutes and the rain on the roof was deafening. This morning I noticed a small amount of water on the dash, close to center. There were a couple of drips showing on the plastic trim around the top of the windshield. I popped off the inspection panel in the center glass fronted cabinet and looked around with a light and mirror. No water visible. Then I removed the plastic windshield trim and found it was a little wet on the inside. My thought is that rain was driven in past the windshield seal. Anyone else experienced this?