iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

DGShaffer 09-11-2013 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdonedmon (Post 1723312)
Sbleieiss
What did thor do to fix your slide noise? Did they fix it. If you go to the Thor owners form on this site and look down to Challenger 37DT slide noise you can see it is a problem. Plesae not what the fix was.

Don

My local dealer tried to fix it by supposedly following Thor's advise and shimming it. That didn't help but now it leaks like mad.

The noise has subsided now that it has over 3,000 miles on it but I'd prefer the noise over a leak! Not really since the noise was driving me nuts!

I have a November appoint out at the factory where this is to be addressed. I'll be asking them what the cause and solution for the squeaking is when I'm out there. I have a feeling it's rubber on the paint although I tried putting powder on the seals with no luck

sbleiweiss 09-11-2013 07:54 AM

Thor cut and welded a new section into the middle of both rods for us and so far no problems. They also adjusted the tracks a little bit to make them deeper.

DGShaffer 09-11-2013 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 1723424)
Thor cut and welded a new section into the middle of both rods for us and so far no problems. They also adjusted the tracks a little bit to make them deeper.

Holy smokes! Cut, extended and welded a $8.00 piece of aluminum. Labor must be cheap as hell out there!

okiefrank 09-11-2013 11:32 PM

What kind of noise are you talking about?? My 37GT has a noise in the Drivers side slide like it is breaking in the middle ,squeeking and knocking. Dealer lubed it ,was ok for a few miles.

okiefrank 09-11-2013 11:38 PM

Who puts those things on the page?

okiefrank 09-11-2013 11:47 PM

I have not given advise ?? only questions.

DGShaffer 09-12-2013 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okiefrank (Post 1724636)
I have not given advise ?? only questions.

I was only funnin with ya Frank :D

The campfires are some sort of quantitative display of how many posts a person has made.

Less campfires = more time you enjoy your RV
More campfires = more time you spend on your computer

I have too many campfires!

DGShaffer 09-12-2013 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okiefrank (Post 1724625)
What kind of noise are you talking about?? My 37GT has a noise in the Drivers side slide like it is breaking in the middle ,squeeking and knocking. Dealer lubed it ,was ok for a few miles.

When I first picked mine up the squeaking rubber noise was deafening! It's subsided after many miles but is still there when driving through towns and over uneven road surfaces.

There isn't any banging noise, just the sound of rubber squeaking constantly :cry2:

sbleiweiss 09-12-2013 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1723428)
Holy smokes! Cut, extended and welded a $8.00 piece of aluminum. Labor must be cheap as hell out there!

Thor is a big bureaucracy. They can only work with the parts Thor has, which in this case is the length rods originally installed. Hey, at least they did something, even if not efficient.

sbleiweiss 09-12-2013 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okiefrank (Post 1724625)
What kind of noise are you talking about?? My 37GT has a noise in the Drivers side slide like it is breaking in the middle ,squeeking and knocking. Dealer lubed it ,was ok for a few miles.

It was a loud clanging noise. Not really sure what was causing it. Thor first tried shimming it. This did not cause any leak for us, and it improved but didn't really solve the problem. When we next had it in for a more extended time they actually removed the room and put in a different (larger I think) set of rollers; at least that is what they told me. The dealer didn't want anything to do with this problem and didn't seem to be focused on what Thor said caused the problem either.

camaromance 09-13-2013 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okiefrank (Post 1724625)
What kind of noise are you talking about?? My 37GT has a noise in the Drivers side slide like it is breaking in the middle ,squeeking and knocking. Dealer lubed it ,was ok for a few miles.

Okie, I would get that looked at. What you describe sounds like the rollers are not aligned with the aluminum support plate on the bottom of the slide. If you look under the slide when it's extended, you will see at least two aluminum plates. The rollers are supposed to be aligned with these plates. If not, the weight of the slide will not be supported correctly and it will break the wood apart, hence the cracking noise you hear when you're extending it. This seems to be a common problem and requires the plates to be removed and relocated to align with the rollers. I bet if you look, you will see the rub marks from the rollers on the bottom of the slide.

okiefrank 09-13-2013 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaromance (Post 1725999)
Okie, I would get that looked at. What you describe sounds like the rollers are not aligned with the aluminum support plate on the bottom of the slide. If you look under the slide when it's extended, you will see at least two aluminum plates. The rollers are supposed to be aligned with these plates. If not, the weight of the slide will not be supported correctly and it will break the wood apart, hence the cracking noise you hear when you're extending it. This seems to be a common problem and requires the plates to be removed and relocated to align with the rollers. I bet if you look, you will see the rub marks from the rollers on the bottom of the slide.

The sound I hear is when the slide is in and traveling down the highway it kinda sounds like it is in a bind and rubbing on something.

okiefrank 09-13-2013 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TPB (Post 1720540)
any one out there had problems with the leather on there captain chairs
the factory knows they had a problem but won't stand behind it

What kind of problems?

camaromance 09-14-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okiefrank (Post 1727182)
The sound I hear is when the slide is in and traveling down the highway it kinda sounds like it is in a bind and rubbing on something.

Oh. Well I guess I'll get another fire for the bad advice. :)


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.