iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

john109 02-19-2013 04:02 PM

DG I do like the design you came up with it is a much cleaner look I was not a big fan of that elbow and pipe hanging under there anyway. As I said the way I have it works fine but I like the cleaner look with no pipe. Nice project when it warms up.

DGShaffer 02-19-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john109 (Post 1469314)
DG I do like the design you came up with it is a much cleaner look I was not a big fan of that elbow and pipe hanging under there anyway. As I said the way I have it works fine but I like the cleaner look with no pipe. Nice project when it warms up.

I'm making a few plates so if it works out and you want to try it, I'll make one up for you.

Regarding your campground suggestion, can you recommend a good site?

john109 02-19-2013 05:49 PM

it depends do you have dogs or kids or is it just you and the wife? the reason I ask is we have dogs and like spot 1001 its way in the back and near the dog park which is very nice. if you still have kids you may want to be up on B3,B4,or B5 which are closer to the pools and play grounds and it backs up to a big field. There is a lot to do within 5 miles outlet malls and Patriots Place which is lots of stores restraunts and where the Patriots play. (Although being from Jersey that may not excite you too much). You may want to leave your "Jets" gear at home unless you enjoy a good razzing. Just kidding. Make sure you get reservations in soon they fill up quick its very clean, quiet and give the Good Sams discount. Let me know when you are going maybe we will try to get up there too and have a beer and lobsta. By the way if you have an extra plate for the sewer pipe I am in let me know what I owe you.

DGShaffer 02-19-2013 07:08 PM

We looked into the place after my post to you and we trailer our sport touring bike wherever we go and they don't allow motorcycles of any kind. Unless you know different, we'd have to pass on that one.

I'll iron out the design and once it's verified I shoot you one. I don't charge for stuff like that or I get involved with making things to order and I'd rather just give stuff like that out to people like myself. Less stressful!

john109 02-20-2013 03:26 AM

I will call and ask regarding motorcycles. I will let you know. That would be great if you can forward a poop pipe cover. I will be in touch

DGShaffer 02-20-2013 07:44 AM

2 Attachment(s)
My prototype is ready to install. If I cant get the current tube setup to work with my Rhino Flex I'll be pulling it out and replacing it with this! The ring is from HD and made of stainless steel, the plate is aluminum. I can have it cut out of stainless if if starts to show signs of corrosion.

john109 02-20-2013 07:15 PM

Great idea looks like a standard toilet flange with a cap simple & clean. But what is the flange material? I wonder if it would be better to go with plastic flange and cover to avoid galvanic issues. Either way I think it's the way to go get rid of the pipe and clean up the under carriage and you have a nice big opening to slide the hose in and out. Wish I thought of it.
I did call Normandy today and they said motorcycles are not allowed in the park itself. But they do have a parking area up by the office for motorcycles I asked if it is a secured area and the women said there is a camera there. So I guess its up to you it is a very nice park but if you don't feel comfortable leaving your bike there then go with original plans.

DGShaffer 02-21-2013 03:43 AM

That's exactly what it is. I was just looking for something compatible and then noticed a familiar pattern, the T-slots, then I knew what they used. This meant that the mounting hole patterns would match making the install just too easy. This one is made of Stainless steel, I couldn't find a plastic one without the rotable fitting already attached. I made the cover plate out of aluminum so you're right, road salt will induce a galvanic reaction. You're either an engineer or you live by the ocean! I'll most likely be installing this thing since I really don't think there's any way I'll get the fittings on my Rhino Flex system to fit and I'm kind of attached to it over the years. I'll post photos of it and if you want one let me know. I'll pick up another flange and press the stainless studs into it for you as well since that's pretty easy for me to do at my shop.

One of the reviews I read talked about having to walk out to the lot each time to get their bike. Not a big deal but we ride a spotr touring mike and we would be dressed in full riding gear not tee shirts and flip flops. I'm also looking foreword to another trip up Mt. Washington so the Field and Stream CG is only a 320 mile round trip.

john109 02-21-2013 03:12 PM

I will PM you. Great mod :D

DGShaffer 02-21-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john109 (Post 1471660)

I replied to the PM before I saw this. I now know what you were talking about. I got you covered!

DGShaffer 02-28-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john109 (Post 1471660)

It's out for UPS John.

I have one more if anyone was thinking about ditching the hanging sewer pipe hose housing.

Whatnobeer 02-28-2013 12:21 PM

Hi Don. I was thinking about your Circuit Breaker issue. I know this might not be the external idea you have in mind, but what about putting a small trap door with a flat ring type latch that will mount flush above the CB you'll need to get to in an emergency. Just an idea. :D

DGShaffer 02-28-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whatnobeer (Post 1479826)
Hi Don. I was thinking about your Circuit Breaker issue. I know this might not be the external idea you have in mind, but what about putting a small trap door with a flat ring type latch that will mount flush above the CB you'll need to get to in an emergency. Just an idea. :D

You might be on to something! It would need to be WAY more elegant than anything I'm capable of. I'm a metal guy, everytime I pick up a piece of wood I get a splinter! ;)

john109 02-28-2013 05:44 PM

Don I got an e-mail from UPS Thank You very much for doing this I really appreciate it. I ordered that table we talked about from Campers World and it came in it looks great. Also I just finished up a pullout tray for a storage bay I ordered full extension draw slides from Amazon and made my tray with 3/4 plywood. I will post pics in the next few days I mounted a tool box to it and it's nice to be able to pull it out for access. My other mod was a central vac system in the forward right bay. I found it works best right there there is a 110 ac line running through there that goes up to the GFCI outlet in the cabinet. I tied into that line and put an outlet in the bay ran the hose up through the floor into the cabinet area and had the hose attachment on the side of the cabinet. It works really well and you can hardly hear it down in the bay. Thanks again for the "crapper flapper" talk to you soon.
John