iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

Thortogo 09-14-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okiefrank (Post 1721756)
Has anyone had a problem with the curtains on the front side windows, the folding night shades, I HATE them they are stiff they won't cooperate when we try to fold them, also the roll-up night shade and the roll up sun shade on the windshield. They won't stay in the guides, any suggestions?

Have dealer put a longer pole through the night shade......seems the one with ours was too short also but is fixed with that longer pole. Don't seem to have problem with side curtains ... I rather like them....but yes, they are not the easiest to close.

Mike 1000 09-15-2013 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1724708)
When I first picked mine up the squeaking rubber noise was deafening! It's subsided after many miles but is still there when driving through towns and over uneven road surfaces.

There isn't any banging noise, just the sound of rubber squeaking constantly :cry2:

The "sound of rubber squeaking constantly" sounds like what my 37DT does, although it is quiet on a smooth road until the slightest bump or twist, then I get the loud creaking noise. I have wondered it it is the rubber seals squeaking. It is at the dealers right now and the noise is one of about 19 items on the list I gave them. I hope there is a fix; it is very annoying!

bigdonedmon 09-18-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaromance (Post 1725999)
Okie, I would get that looked at. What you describe sounds like the rollers are not aligned with the aluminum support plate on the bottom of the slide. If you look under the slide when it's extended, you will see at least two aluminum plates. The rollers are supposed to be aligned with these plates. If not, the weight of the slide will not be supported correctly and it will break the wood apart, hence the cracking noise you hear when you're extending it. This seems to be a common problem and requires the plates to be removed and relocated to align with the rollers. I bet if you look, you will see the rub marks from the rollers on the bottom of the slide.

There is a thread on this form named Challenger slide noise where problems and salutions are discussed.
It appears to be a problem with the Schwintec slides.

bigdonedmon 09-18-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 1721944)
We don't use the side curtains at night. We figured that no one can see in anyway. Our night and sun roller blinds come out of the track sometimes. It seems like the rods are a half inch too short. I'm thinking of replacing them with a longer rod if I can find something suitable.

Go to a local hardware store and buy small plastic protectors for the 1/4" rods. Push a plastic protector onto each end of the rods. That will give you a little more length. Auternatively buy a small clear piece of surgical hose (1/4" soft plastic) cut it to size and slide a short piece onto each end leaving a (1/8" to a 1/4") extending over the end.:cool:

bigdonedmon 09-18-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1723331)
My local dealer tried to fix it by supposedly following Thor's advise and shimming it. That didn't help but now it leaks like mad.

The noise has subsided now that it has over 3,000 miles on it but I'd prefer the noise over a leak! Not really since the noise was driving me nuts!

I have a November appoint out at the factory where this is to be addressed. I'll be asking them what the cause and solution for the squeaking is when I'm out there. I have a feeling it's rubber on the paint although I tried putting powder on the seals with no luck

Please keep us posted. If you could give us in as much detail as possible what the fix was. I have been asking everyone with this problem to do the same.

bigdonedmon 09-18-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 1723424)
Thor cut and welded a new section into the middle of both rods for us and so far no problems. They also adjusted the tracks a little bit to make them deeper.

Do you have any pics (pictures) of the repairs. I am trying to get everyone to note here what the fix was on their slide repairs in as much detail as they have. Good Luck!

DGShaffer 09-18-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdonedmon (Post 1733009)
Please keep us posted. If you could give us in as much detail as possible what the fix was. I have been asking everyone with this problem to do the same.

I'll be doing that.

sbleiweiss 09-19-2013 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdonedmon (Post 1733010)
Do you have any pics (pictures) of the repairs. I am trying to get everyone to note here what the fix was on their slide repairs in as much detail as they have. Good Luck!

I don't have a pix, and would have to remove the rod from the shade to take one. But I understand they simply welded a small additional piece of aluminum onto the rod to make it longer. Just took it camping last night and so far both shades have worked fine now. But if Thor wasn't doing this for me I would just order those $8 longer aluminum rods that someone posted the link to and put them in myself.

DGShaffer 09-19-2013 08:25 AM

The rods supplied from the factory already have soft rubber end caps on them and for us end users, simply replacing the rod with a longer one would cost less than the fuel to take it to a dealer for repair.

M72561 09-20-2013 06:44 PM

1 st long trip

We just returned from a 12 day 2200 mile trip from NC to eastern maine then central maine back down thru the shenandoahs and back to the outer banks. We did the following mods to our 2014 Challenger 37kt before taking off #1 CHF, #2 Banks power pak ,and #3 Safe-t steer. There were 4 of us and the coach ran perfect but we did have a few odd things happen .Almost every night the microwave would come on 3 different times for about a minute at a time,and the door locked all by itself when I was refueling at a gas station,thank god I had the drivers side window open and was able to get the keys out of the ignition.I would strongly suggest a stow away key for the door handle lock. We are very happy with the coach and love being on the road. We also rented a car once in portland maine which we put 2100 miles on in 8 days going in and out of Canada. Happy motoring

bronk 09-21-2013 07:45 AM

Happy to hear that you had an enjoyable trip to Maine! We, too, have a Challenger (2011 3710). We are originally from Maine and just returned to KY after spending the summer in the Bangor area. Just a thought concerning extra keys - we have always had an extra set with us for all of our RV's. We use a "Hide-a-Key) magnetic holder and place it in a inconspicuous location under the coach. I have seen too many RV owners have to hire a locksmith or break a window to get back in once locked out. Again, pleased to hear about your trip and best wishes for many more!

Ron (Bronk)

sbleiweiss 09-21-2013 08:11 AM

Are you sure the door really locked? They are prone to sticking. As someone (with 8K miles on a 2013 37DT) who hasn't made any mods, why do you need/want those things? What do they do?

M72561 09-21-2013 11:32 AM

the door was locked which is very hard to believe if you ever spend time to see how it works. The modifications were made reduce swaying,driver fatigue and add HP torque and better gas mileage. My coach has 4500 miles on it now after this trip.I am now looking into an airbag assisted ride to fine tune the comfort even more. The CHF was free, and I have about 4k including labor in the other 2 fixes. THe motorhome drives much better and the power pak system reduces a lot of strain on the engine. I would do it again in a heart beat

rvbunz 09-21-2013 12:03 PM

M72561- I had the banks installed on my last coach and really noticed a difference. We just got our new coach in June and wasn't sure I wanted to spend the 3k to get another banks so I put on the 5 star tuning. It seems to work well. Not sure it is as good as the banks but the cost was much less. If you get an airbag assist and it improves your ride I would like to know what you get. I looked into the Firestone air rite but you can't use them on Thor coaches. So keep us informed on what you find and use. Good luck