iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

DGShaffer 10-14-2013 08:47 AM

Well, a quick call to Thor and I've learned that the Awning controller is under a hidden panel in the compartment over the entry door. Short of a loose connection they either work or they don't. Since the fuses are good, that leaves either a bad controller or a bad connection somewhere. I have a trip to the factory on 11/18 so I'll let them figure it out

camaromance 10-14-2013 10:55 AM

Was the battery circuit drawing max current, trying to charge, when you tried to operate the awning? If so, the the amperage on your 12 volt system could have been high. That can blow fuses, lights, controllers, all sorts of bad electrical gremlins.

OC Bill 10-14-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1765873)
Well, a quick call to Thor and I've learned that the Awning controller is under a hidden panel in the compartment over the entry door. Short of a loose connection they either work or they don't. Since the fuses are good, that leaves either a bad controller or a bad connection somewhere. I have a trip to the factory on 11/18 so I'll let them figure it out

We will be at the factory also on 11/18, see you there.

Oops, see you have a Challenger, maybe not the same location as for the Palazzo.

Bill

DGShaffer 10-14-2013 06:53 PM

This is the address of my appointment location:
701 County Road 15 Elkhart In.

tcopeland 10-14-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OC Bill (Post 1766092)
We will be at the factory also on 11/18, see you there. Oops, see you have a Challenger, maybe not the same location as for the Palazzo. Bill

Everyone is together . We had all models there with us.
You need to elect a mayor for the village.

sbleiweiss 10-15-2013 09:00 AM

I have a new question especially for other Challenger owners. We have a 2013 Challenger 37DT. This is our first MH and this will be our frst winter. We are not winterizing but instead keeping it in a heated building. But we want to use it for trips south during the winter (from Chicago area). That leads me to two questions. First, I know that the basements with water in them are heated by ducts from the furnace. But how cold can it be outside and still rely on this system to avoid freezing? My second question is do these MHs tolerate any snow/slush on the road at all? Any tips/info/suggestions will be much appreciated.

rvbunz 10-15-2013 10:01 PM

The actual address for the service facility is 520 County Road 15. The plant is 701. All coaches are serviced there.

rvbunz 10-15-2013 10:07 PM

sbleiweiss, keeping your coach in a heated building will allow not to winterize. As far as keeping the pipes from freezing when you are traveling I would recommend wrapping them with insulated wrap you can get at Lowes, Home Depot or in your area Menards. I would think the bays where yor water is should be kept warm. Would be nice is a light could be keep in there for warmth, but I would worry about it when driving. as far as driving in the snow, you should use caution as always. Don't want to get in a skid. I don't know if I would drive in snow, I'd wait for roads to be completely plowed. Safe travels when you hit the road. Check us out at www.tmcoc.org

DGShaffer 10-16-2013 11:38 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 1767273)
I have a new question especially for other Challenger owners. We have a 2013 Challenger 37DT. This is our first MH and this will be our frst winter. We are not winterizing but instead keeping it in a heated building. But we want to use it for trips south during the winter (from Chicago area). That leads me to two questions. First, I know that the basements with water in them are heated by ducts from the furnace. But how cold can it be outside and still rely on this system to avoid freezing? My second question is do these MHs tolerate any snow/slush on the road at all? Any tips/info/suggestions will be much appreciated.

The bulk of your plumbing is inside the coach and if you're traveling in it you'll be fine. I've had my low point and fresh water tank drains ice over but you would be surprised how hot the engine and exhaust get the underside of the coach. I travel from Jersey to Gulf shores each Christmas and never have a problem.

I was on 95 heading south through the big storm of 2010 (I think). We were in snow verom Maryland until Georgia, there were cars all over the sides of the highway but the MH just kept on rolling and I had my Jetta on a tow dolly

sbleiweiss 10-16-2013 11:42 AM

Do you mean the kind of insulation wrap that people put on pipes in basements or the kind that plugs into electric? If electric, how do you connect it?

sbleiweiss 10-16-2013 11:44 AM

Do you do anything special to prepare for this trip? Full water tank or less full? Do you put your galley slide out if camped in sub-freezing weather? Any special treatment of black and grey tanks?

dunkonu23 10-16-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1768710)
The bulk of your plumbing is inside the coach and if you're traveling in it you'll be fine. I've had my low point and fresh water tank drains ice over but you would be surprised how hot the engine and exhaust get the underside of the coach. I travel from Jersey to Gulf shores each Christmas and never have a problem.

I was on 95 heading south through the big storm of 2010 (I think). We were in snow verom Maryland until Georgia, there were cars all over the sides of the highway but the MH just kept on rolling and I had my Jetta on a tow dolly

You sir, have a pair!

Scott

DGShaffer 10-16-2013 01:48 PM

As long as you're not too cold then it's warm enough inside to keep things from freezing. Water has to be below 32 degrees for quite a bit for the cold to take hold and start freezing. Traveling south means that you'll only be in the coldest conditions for a day at the most.

If your planning on camping in sub freezing conditions then that's a whole different animal all together.

DGShaffer 10-16-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunkonu23 (Post 1768865)
You sir, have a pair!

Scott

Funny story from that trip. There was a little red car up about as far as what you see in the photo above. A gust of wind caught the powder in the pine trees to the right and I could see a dense cloud of snow crossing the highway. I knew what was going to happen so I started braking and soon I was in the cloud of snow with near zero visibility but I kept smoothly applying the brakes until I was at a full stop. When the snow cleared, there was that little red cart at a complete stop about ten feet in front of me!