iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

DGShaffer 10-27-2013 05:31 PM

I learned a good lesson today and one that you should be interested in. This could have been much worse than it was.

When we set up this weekend at a campground, the next morning I noticed that I didn't have any hot water so I went outside and opened the cover to the hot water heater.

I found what I thought were wires melted from over current. There's a fused link (or an over temp link) in the wire that I was able to remove and then reconnect and the wire.

Once I connected it the igniter started clicking and the propane lit up. The flame was really weak and spilling out of the tube and started burning the wires again!

It seems that Spiders had built a nest in the tube! Once I removed the Web it fired up like normal.

The moral is that when I set up, turn on the hot water and check the flame through the inspection port. We use our MH almost every other weekend so this can happen in a short amount of time so be aware.

camaromance 10-27-2013 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1783236)
I learned a good lesson today and one that you should be interested in. This could have been much worse than it was. When we set up this weekend at a campground, the next morning I noticed that I didn't have any hot water so I went outside and opened the cover to the hot water heater. I found what I thought were wires melted from over current. There's a fused link (or an over temp link) in the wire that I was able to remove and then reconnect and the wire. Once I connected it the igniter started clicking and the propane lit up. The flame was really weak and spilling out of the tube and started burning the wires again! It seems that Spiders had built a nest in the tube! Once I removed the Web it fired up like normal. The moral is that when I set up, turn on the hot water and check the flame through the inspection port. We use our MH almost every other weekend so this can happen in a short amount of time so be aware.

Wow, Don. Close one. I'll be checking mine before we go in a couple of weeks. Thanks for posting. I guess it's that time of year when critters are looking for a place to spend the winter. Kinda fortunate it burned through the igniter wire, assuming that would kill the circuit. Glad it wasn't worse. That's karma giving you a pass for all your good deeds. Btw, I had a damn squirrel chew through the propane line to my grill the other day.

sbleiweiss 10-28-2013 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaromance (Post 1782708)
My dealer told me that you have to have continuous sub freezing weather for three days before water lines freeze up. I've camped and traveled several times in cold weather and never had a problem with lines freezing. The furnace does a really good job when your parked and engine heat will keep you safe when driving. Your water tank will be safe. If you're particularly concerned, place the outside thermometer in the plumbing compartment. There are a lot of exposed hoses behind the panel. You might also consider bypassing the built in water filter. Once bypassed, unscrew, drain, and remove the filter. I did a trip in northern PA in December a couple of years ago. It was very cold, sub freezing for the week I was parked. I placed my outside temp sensor in the plumbing compartment and found that if I left the compartment lights on, I generated enough heat to keep the compartment above freezing. It was in the low teens and the compartment never got below 40 degrees. Of course, I had the furnace going, too. The only real effect we experienced was the hot water didn't last as long. You can run the water heater on both electric and gas to help with this. Good luck.

Good information. Thanks. By plumbing compartment do you mean the basement with the water tank in it? And are you using OEM lights in the basements? I didn't think these threw much light. I always wished I had a way to get incandescent bulbs in there for cold weather. But based on what you said I will try leaving them on when camping cold.

camaromance 10-28-2013 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 1783942)
Good information. Thanks. By plumbing compartment do you mean the basement with the water tank in it? And are you using OEM lights in the basements? I didn't think these threw much light. I always wished I had a way to get incandescent bulbs in there for cold weather. But based on what you said I will try leaving them on when camping cold.

It's the compartment with the water valve panel and sewer valves. Behind the panel is a rats nest of hoses. I had a leaky connection and removed the panel to fix it and was surprised to see how many hoses were back there. The water in your fresh water tank will store a lot of heat. Your sewers make their own heat. I think Don (DGSHAFFER) rigged up a power outlet in one of his bays.

camaromance 10-28-2013 06:42 PM

[QUOTE="camaromance;1784756"] It's the compartment with the water valve panel and sewer valves. Behind the panel is a rats nest of hoses. I had a leaky connection and removed the panel to fix it and was surprised to see how many hoses were back there. The water in your fresh water tank will store a lot of heat. Your sewers make their own heat. I think DGSchaffer rigged up a power outlet in one of his bays.

sbleiweiss 10-29-2013 07:59 AM

[QUOTE=camaromance;1784757]
Quote:

Originally Posted by camaromance (Post 1784756)
It's the compartment with the water valve panel and sewer valves. Behind the panel is a rats nest of hoses. I had a leaky connection and removed the panel to fix it and was surprised to see how many hoses were back there. The water in your fresh water tank will store a lot of heat. Your sewers make their own heat. I think DGSchaffer rigged up a power outlet in one of his bays.

I have a question about keeping that one (water and sewer controls basement) warm. We have no way of closing the door to that basement if we have a hose connected; it sticks out past the level of the door. So unless you have figured a way around that, are you disconnecting the hose and running off of tank whenever it is cold out? BTW, it doesn't even look like we have a light in the potable water tank basement. I felt the OEM lights and they do throw a little bit of heat.

camaromance 10-29-2013 07:38 PM

I ran off the tank only. When it got low, I hooked the hose to refill, then drained and stowed it. We can make it about 4 days on a tank, including showers. Besides, I've found the water pump usually has better pressure than most campgrounds.

okiefrank 10-30-2013 12:32 AM

[QUOTE=sbleiweiss;1785389]
Quote:

Originally Posted by camaromance (Post 1784757)

I have a question about keeping that one (water and sewer controls basement) warm. We have no way of closing the door to that basement if we have a hose connected; it sticks out past the level of the door. So unless you have figured a way around that, are you disconnecting the hose and running off of tank whenever it is cold out? BTW, it doesn't even look like we have a light in the potable water tank basement. I felt the OEM lights and they do throw a little bit of heat.

The hose on mine kept the door ajar, so I bought a 90 degree metal hose elbow. works great and the door does not hit it.

DGShaffer 10-30-2013 05:01 AM

Same here. I bought a 90 degree brass connector from camping world. I leave that connected and the soft rubber plug now covers that when the hose isn't connected to it.

DGShaffer 10-30-2013 08:04 PM

I've been relocating a lot of my photos over to Phanfare. I just finished this one and thought it needed to be shared. It's from our trip out to Wyoming and taken on the day we rode into Red Lodge Montana to ride Beartooth Pass and Chief Joseph highway.

BearTooth Pass, part of our 9 day trip to Wyoming - Don and Cindy's Photos - Powered by Phanfare

camaromance 10-30-2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1787893)
I've been relocating a lot of my photos over to Phanfare. I just finished this one and thought it needed to be shared. It's from our trip out to Wyoming and taken on the day we rode into Red Lodge Montana to ride Beartooth Pass and Chief Joseph highway. BearTooth Pass, part of our 9 day trip to Wyoming - Don and Cindy's Photos - Powered by Phanfare

Nice photos, Don. Beautiful scenery. Can't wait to have time to see all of the US. Sorry about the bike. I guess it's true what they say about BMW's and Harley's. Every piece costs a hundred dollars.

DGShaffer 10-31-2013 04:58 AM

We were driving our first toy hauler which was a Thor Fun Mover class C. With the garage the only bed was the one above the cab and boy was that uncomfortable. So much so I spent a lot of time just driving. it was a 5,000 mile round trip and it only took me 2-1/2 days each way! We were able to get in 4 days of riding though so that was nice. After miles and miles of seeing Wall Drug highway signs we were able to see that. We encountered a lot of storms on the plains which were a source of concern a bunch of times on the trip out and back.

I brought back so many stories from that trip that I could write a paperback, unfortunately they're interesting only to me so I won't write the novel.

As far as the bike. I took photos and had initiated a claim before I even left Wyoming. Getting it repaired didn't take all that long so it wasn't a really big deal, just depressing at the time.

sbleiweiss 10-31-2013 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1786779)
Same here. I bought a 90 degree brass connector from camping world. I leave that connected and the soft rubber plug now covers that when the hose isn't connected to it.

How does the hose enter/leave the basement with the door closed? Mine has no opening in the floor for it. Are you running it through the port for the sewer line? Also, if I did that I wouldn't be able to have a water pressure regulator. Do you just live without one?

DGShaffer 10-31-2013 08:59 AM

You can do a search in this thread for my "Crapper Flapper". I designed my own storage tube replacement because I like and use the Rhino Flex hose and it didn't fit into the tube.

With my door, the sewer and water hose fit through side by side. I use an inline pressure regulator as well as a shutoff valve, they screw right into the 90 degree adapter and the door closes just fine.