iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

JohnG2013KT 11-14-2013 01:57 PM

Hi Jimmy ... yes it's going to be a bit of work .. However, I don't think that I have a choice .. The SWM technology applies 21+ volts to the coax ... plus we are planning on using 2 receivers .. Not sure how the switch box would handle that .. and I don't want to lose the convenience of the OTA antenna and regular cable tv ..

Any thoughts on running the wiring?

Thanks
John

DGShaffer 11-14-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaromance (Post 1806088)
That sucks. The wife and buy seasons of shows we didn't get around to watching. Makes for good entertainment during the down times. Netflix is nice to if you can get the bandwidth. Sorry it didn't work out for you.

TV is becoming less important these days, it seems. That might explain why I have more TVs in the MoHo than I do in the house.

I know what you mean there. I have my XM piped in through my GPS so a lot of time we just listen to FOX news on the radio. I have a lifetime subscription I bought about 5 years ago. They don't even offer that anymore so I never have to pay for XM again.

camaromance 11-14-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnG2013KT (Post 1806232)
Hi Jimmy ... yes it's going to be a bit of work .. However, I don't think that I have a choice .. The SWM technology applies 21+ volts to the coax ... plus we are planning on using 2 receivers .. Not sure how the switch box would handle that .. and I don't want to lose the convenience of the OTA antenna and regular cable tv .. Any thoughts on running the wiring? Thanks John

John, I see what you mean. As a retired submariner, I wish Furuno would have told us they were sending 5vdc out to power the OEM GPS antenna before we wired it up to multi million dollar communications mast. I went through a couple up pre amps before we figured it out.

Each of your slides have a wire run and I would use those to route your coax. If you remove the couch, you will find plenty of access to the back of the outside tv. Your coax can be routed easily enough under the frame, obviously avoiding the exhaust and driveshaft. You should find wire access points in all the under storage compartments as each one has at least wires for the lights going in. Make sure you leave enough slack at the slides so it can travel without binding. Again, if you follow the wire runs for each slide, just mirror the length and you should be fine. I'm scratching my head a bit considering it already has a sat coax connection next to the video distro box. The distro box even has a sat selection button. Couldn't you hook up your receiver there and use the distro box to send your signal out to all the TVs? I would call Thor and ask them before going through all the trouble.

DMcRaney 11-15-2013 04:49 PM

Hi Guys,

I have been enjoying your posts and used your experiences in making the choice to buy my own Challenger 37GT. We love our coach and have been in it for a week. I wanted to share with you my experience with Camping World of Woodstock, GA. I will try not to go into to much detail, but will share share that it was the WORST buying experience of my life. If it had not been that I sold my truck (we went down to owning one vehicle) and turning in our TT five days before we were to take possession I would have walked away. I know, I should have waited to do all of that AFTER I purchased.

Here is a brief run down of the problems I had and was a result of the dealer being bogged down after selling 40+ coaches at the Atlanta rally (The General Manager actually told me this). Originally we were going to use Camping World of Woodstock for financing, but when they told me the best I could qualify for was a 5.9 rate. I went to Good Sams and got 4.39. After that the Camping Word Woodstock put the least amount of effort possible in the transaction. They would not even return calls to Good Sams Finance. Hence the rest of my problems.

First they missed delivery date by 36hours. normally not a big deal, but we had to be in DC for medical treatments at Walter Reed by Sat at 6am. They knew this.

Second they did not have the "ability" to clean it by the day we left . As it was My wife, 1 year old, and 3 dogs spent 10 hours at the dealer waiting for our unit.

Third, our down payment was supposed to be 14K, OOPS! you owe 22K because of the add ons (including Blue OX). That was supposed to be rolled in to the loan. But we did not find out until the day after that it could not be adjusted like the Finance guy from Good Sams thought. (not his fault).

Fourth, I had to track the General Manager down to discuss it. He was to bussy to call me first and when we did talk, he said he did not know anything about it. The Camping World of Woodstock's solution...Give us the money now, you are already in it and we did the work.

I had asked to pay it off over 6 months, after all there mess up. The General Manager informed me that this would not work, they would run him off if he did something like that.

Like I said, some of this is my fault. As a Traumatic Brain Injured Vet from Afghanistan, some times I don't think things through (or it takes me longer). Next time I buy though, the first thing I will do is start by NOT going to Camping World of Woodstock.

rvbunz 11-15-2013 06:06 PM

DMcRaney, I am sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience with CW. I guess they are no all alike. I purchased my Challenger DT at CW of Staesville , NC and the GM was outstanding. I would recommend that to send an e-mail to Marcus, the CEO of CW. You can find his email address in the highway mag. I hope you enjoy your coach. I am a retired Marine so I would like to thank you as a brother in arms for your service. If you are ever in the Jacksonville, NC area give me a call 910-389-8865.

DGShaffer 11-15-2013 08:12 PM

First off, thank you for the sacrifice you and your family has made in service of our country. Certainly this experience should not be born by anyone, especially by those that have given so much! God bless you and be well.

I'm sorry to hear of your experience, hopefully you have another certified Thor service center within your area if and when you need service. Camping World has a sketchy reputation at best and finding a good one is hit and miss. My local dealer is adequate but the fact that I'm driving mine out to the factory this week speaks volumes about my trust in them.

As the months pass, issues will undoubtedly mount as they do with most new coaches. My advise is to keep good records, open a dialog with a service center you feel you can trust, wait out the small things and only bring it in when it's absolutely necessary. They will need time to evaluate the failure, then get approval, then order parts, then do the repairs after they send back the wrong parts and receive the correct ones.

You should be able to find a bunch of tips here as well as get timely answers to questions specific to your 37GT.

I suggest you take the time to write an honest and factual review on the site I've linked to warn others that may be looking to use that CW in the future. It also doesn't hurt to mention that you found the new shop by way of the review site and will be leaving a review based on their performance.

RV Service Reviews

DGShaffer 11-18-2013 04:48 AM

I made it to the Thor Factory! Traveling through those storm cells, wind gusts near 60mph coming across rt 80, and nearly getting hit by my very own tornado made for an exciting trip west.

I'm sitting in the Thor customer lot just waiting to start my big day!

cenfl 11-18-2013 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1810977)
I made it to the Thor Factory! Traveling through those storm cells, wind gusts near 60mph coming across rt 80, and nearly getting hit by my very own tornado made for an exciting trip west.

Glad to hear you made it to Elkhart safe and sound :)

We had a generally good experience there last month. Unfortunately for us, the THOR Diesel Club had a rally there at the time, so the techs were kept busy fixing their issues. They did get our major problems (main slide, leveling system) fixed; however, a couple small items were missed. We couldn't extend our stay, so our coach is back at the dealer getting those taken care of.

Good luck.

camaromance 11-18-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

I made it to the Thor Factory! Traveling through those storm cells, wind gusts near 60mph coming across rt 80, and nearly getting hit by my very own tornado made for an exciting trip west. I'm sitting in the Thor customer lot just waiting to start my big day!

Glad you made it safely. Good luck and I hope they get your problems solved.

rvbunz 11-18-2013 03:08 PM

Don, I was thinking of you when I saw all the bad weather reports for the mid-west. I'm sure glad you made it safely. What are you getting done to your Challenger? Does your coach lean to the right? If so ask Mark the service manager to check it out. He will probably tell you it's a Ford issue, but Ford tells me it's a Thor issue. Good luck with your repairs, they are great people in my opinion,but check your repairs carefully.
Safe travels.

OC Bill 11-18-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

We dropped our Palazzo off there this morning, was that you with the red pickup we parked beside ?

Bill

DGShaffer 11-19-2013 05:46 AM

I did mention the lean and showed him the weight sheet I had on the corners. I told him that I understood that Thor would blame Ford and in return, Ford would say that thor built it heavy on one side. I said that in fact, Ford would have a point. All I wanted was to get it fixed.

I'm here with a laundry list of repairs with the big deal being a leak on the drivers side slide. they made good progress today. I met a great couple in the lounge yesterday and last night we hung out in their Outlaw way past my bed time.

I'm sorry you weren't able to hang out after you dropped off your coach. It wasn't me in the red truck, I rented a red chrysler 200.

bdickson 11-19-2013 06:10 AM

Don,be sure to let us know what they say about the lean to the right. My 37GT leans about 3 inches. Henderson's said they could fix it with blocks under the spring mounts but I haven't had it done yet.

DGShaffer 11-19-2013 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OC Bill (Post 1812141)
We dropped our Palazzo off there this morning, was that you with the red pickup we parked beside ?

Bill

Come and join us in the lounge on the other side of the lot