iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

OC Bill 11-19-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1812482)
Come and join us in the lounge on the other side of the lot

Thanks for the offer but we just dropped it off and are staying in a hotel at the SR 19 exit, they have a lot of major things to do on my unit and I thought it would be better if they didn't have to worry about getting it back together each night so we could sleep in it.

They have to re-seal the entire rear section of the coach to prevent soot and dirt intrusion into the rear bed area above the engine and remove the full wall slide for a retro fit of upgraded motors, linking shafts and rollers that they now use on the 2014 models, plus about a dozen other repairs.

It looks like it will take all week as it is so I didn't want to make worse.
The slide repair requires some paint shop time.

How long do you think you will be there?

Bill

rvbunz 11-19-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1812442)
I did mention the lean and showed him the weight sheet I had on the corners. I told him that I understood that Thor would blame Ford and in return, Ford would say that thor built it heavy on one side. I said that in fact, Ford would have a point. All I wanted was to get it fixed.

I'm here with a laundry list of repairs with the big deal being a leak on the drivers side slide. they made good progress today. I met a great couple in the lounge yesterday and last night we hung out in their Outlaw way past my bed time.

I'm sorry you weren't able to hang out after you dropped off your coach. It wasn't me in the red truck, I rented a red chrysler 200.

Can you call me at 910-389-8865?

Thank you
Bob

DGShaffer 11-19-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OC Bill (Post 1812706)

How long do you think you will be there?

Bill

At least through tomorrow. I was just talking to my neighbor in a Palazzo and they were telling me to get out to the RV Hall of Fame so I'll be doing that tomorrow and possibly a stop at the Air Zoo and the RV salvage place.

So far, so good on the repairs. The bulk of the list has been handled. I arrived after it was put back into it's overnight spot so I'll find out in the morning if it looks like they can finish up tomorrow. The leaking slide is the big one and it seems they're saving that for last.

DGShaffer 11-19-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1813095)
Can you call me at 910-389-8865?

Thank you
Bob

Hey Bob,

I'll call you after I skype the wife and dogs :)

OC Bill 11-19-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1813116)
At least through tomorrow. I was just talking to my neighbor in a Palazzo and they were telling me to get out to the RV Hall of Fame so I'll be doing that tomorrow and possibly a stop at the Air Zoo and the RV salvage place.

So far, so good on the repairs. The bulk of the list has been handled. I arrived after it was put back into it's overnight spot so I'll find out in the morning if it looks like they can finish up tomorrow. The leaking slide is the big one and it seems they're saving that for last.

Saw your friend with the Outlaw at the Thor diesel factory tour today, we will stop by the service center tomorrow after we tour the Newmar factory and eat lunch at the Amish Acres next door to the Newmar factory, maybe you will be there then and we can say hello, I haven't heard anything about progress on mine so I will probably see it when we stop by.

Bill

DMcRaney 11-20-2013 03:35 PM

Hi guys,

I started following the thread from the beginning. I was hoping to jump back to an earlier conversation. I really ;like the upgraded heat registers. I have the 37GT and am wondering if the larger size helps heat the coach? The front of our MH gets like an ice box and only has two registers, one in the kitchen and one behind the driver seat. The back gets hot like an oven. Do any of yall have the same problem?

Thanks,
Dave

DGShaffer 11-20-2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMcRaney (Post 1814572)
Hi guys,

I started following the thread from the beginning. I was hoping to jump back to an earlier conversation. I really ;like the upgraded heat registers. I have the 37GT and am wondering if the larger size helps heat the coach? The front of our MH gets like an ice box and only has two registers, one in the kitchen and one behind the driver seat. The back gets hot like an oven. Do any of yall have the same problem?

Thanks,
Dave

Hey Dave,

The registers I installed have built in balancers. I have the ability to choke off heat in both of the bathroom and the bedroom. That forces more heat foreword. I do think most of the issues in front are due to poor insulation

bdickson 11-20-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMcRaney (Post 1814572)
Hi guys,

Thanks,
Dave

That's odd. My 2013 37GT has 3 registers in the living/kitchen area: one near the sink, one in front of the trash can door and one in the middle of the floor just aft of the entrance door. The bedroom and bathroom does get too hot when the living area is just right. As a temporary measure I stuffed crumpled aluminum foil behind the circular vents, blocking off about 60% of each one. I keep meaning to measure them and get adjustable registers, but the Rube Goldberg solution is working pretty well.

DGShaffer 11-20-2013 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 1812457)
Don,be sure to let us know what they say about the lean to the right. My 37GT leans about 3 inches. Henderson's said they could fix it with blocks under the spring mounts but I haven't had it done yet.

My coach goes back to the Ford Chassis shop tomorrow. The great news is that they are installing higher rated springs on the heavy side which is the proper solution over adding the blocks which just compresses the springs, I came here prepared with a weight sheet for all four corners which showed the heavy corner being on the side that sits low, I really was surprised when he told me this and really impressed

bdickson 11-20-2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1814768)
My coach goes back to the Ford Chassis shop tomorrow. The great news is that they are installing higher rated springs on the heavy side which is the proper solution over adding the blocks which just compresses the springs, I came here prepared with a weight sheet for all four corners which showed the heavy corner being on the side that sits low, I really was surprised when he told me this and really impressed

So is this being done under warranty?

DGShaffer 11-20-2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 1814788)
So is this being done under warranty?

Yes it is. My warranty is up in February

bdickson 11-20-2013 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1814802)
Yes it is. My warranty is up in February

So is mine. I see a trip to a Ford dealer in my future.

DGShaffer 11-20-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 1814811)
So is mine. I see a trip to a Ford dealer in my future.

I had contacted a Ford truck center and they were going to stuff blocks in it at which time I would have been in the middle of a finger pointing war between them and Thor. That's why I weighed it and brought that data here with me. I told them that I wanted my findings recorded and added to my record and that I wanted them to fight with Ford as to who was to cover it and to just leave me out of it.

If I were you I would find a place with a scale so that you can weigh the corners with all of the bay's unloaded. With that, Thor has to take responsibility for overloading the passenger side.

I'd be curious to see if they try to point at all the suspension work you had done as a cause of the issue though.

bdickson 11-20-2013 08:04 PM

I guess the question is, what are your differential weights?