iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

rvbunz 11-20-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 1814914)
I guess the question is, what are your differential weights?

Don what Ford dealer is replacing your springs? Is it Jordan up there in Elkhart?

DGShaffer 11-21-2013 07:29 AM

I met with the service writer this morning and it seems that Ford won't do anything if the lean is 3/4 or less. With that, they are going to install longer U bolts and shims right here.

I posted my weights earlier in this thread but the net is 700 to the passenger side and 900 at the rear axle

sbleiweiss 11-21-2013 07:56 AM

My 37 DT has the same heat balance problem. Adjustable registers added in bedroom and bathroom have solved those areas being too hot, but front is still too cold. We have bad drafts coming in under both front slides (especially under the dinette slide). We have an appointment in Elkhart for April (I can't go sooner because we don't winterize). After they fix those leaks, we'll see if the front warms better. If not I think an electric space heater is in our future.

On a different subject, after seeing mention here that the new 37 KTs now come equiped for washer and dryer I made the mistake (?) of telling the wife. We originally wante the KT, actually had one under contract, before deciding we simply needed the W/D, so bought the DT instead. Now wife wants to trade the less than year old DT for a new KT. Grrrrrr. This may turn out to be a very expensive forum (ha ha).

rvbunz 11-21-2013 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1815313)
I met with the service writer this morning and it seems that Ford won't do anything if the lean is 3/4 or less. With that, they are going to install longer U bolts and shims right here.

I posted my weights earlier in this thread but the net is 700 to the passenger side and 900 at the rear axle

Can you get the specifics of what they do so others like myself can get our lean issue addressed and corrected?
Thanks

bdickson 11-21-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1815313)

it's amazing that 700 pounds on a 22,000 pound vehicle could cause that much of a lean.

DGShaffer 11-21-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 1815487)
it's amazing that 700 pounds on a 22,000 pound vehicle could cause that much of a lean.

The differential at the rear axle is 930 pounds but I agree, it doesn't seem like much. but with the amount of owners experiencing this same issue it can't be blamed on weak passenger side springs?

The total offset is reduced by the batteries and hydraulic mounted on the drivers side causing the front to be heavier by 230 on that side.

The only other explanation is that its built with a lean. Going through the factory tour, I can't see how that could happen

camaromance 11-21-2013 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1815889)
The differential at the rear axle is 930 pounds but I agree, it doesn't seem like much. but with the amount of owners experiencing this same issue it can't be blamed on weak passenger side springs? The total offset is reduced by the batteries and hydraulic mounted on the drivers side causing the front to be heavier by 230 on that side. The only other explanation is that its built with a lean. Going through the factory tour, I can't see how that could happen

All that weight is as far out from centerline as it can get. Maybe that has something to do with it.

DGShaffer 11-24-2013 06:59 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I'm back from my big adventure to Indiana! I had an opportunity to hang out with three really nice couples while there and I hope to see them again soon.

My expectations for the high level of service I had grown to expect from a Thor factory visit through conversations here were met and more.

As I had been told, though I had a pretty long list of bothersome issues on top of the slide leak, things crept up between the time I submitted my list and my visit to the plant. Everything, no matter how incidental, was taken care of without hesitation. Even a couple of things that were caused by me and the Tornado's I drove through to get there.

Andy was my assigned technician, he was knocking on my door at 7:00 each morning. The first day he caught me taking a shower but after that I was ready to roll on time. He briefed me each morning on what he had done and what he would be doing that day.

The guys in the service center are really creative in the way they remedy issues that come up. You would think that all of their repair ideas would be implemented in the build process but it's all about money to the front office.

Thor is quickly becoming one of the largest builders of recreational vehicles from the most inexpensive to their top of the line Tuscany. I think they are very happy building within that price point and can leave the production of the ubber expensive coaches to the likes of Phaeton and Newell.

While I was there I toured both the Thor diesel, Challenger and Outlaw outlaw line in their newly acquired Monaco facility of 17 acres under roof and the Newmar facility with their 23 building layout. The only thing I liked in the Newmar design over the Thor was the 16" stud placement and the batten insulation. Other than that, Thor has them beat hands down in almost every other phase of build.

So be happy and appreciate your Thor purchase. For the money, you now own a very well made and thought out coach

DGShaffer 11-24-2013 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 1815347)
My 37 DT has the same heat balance problem. Adjustable registers added in bedroom and bathroom have solved those areas being too hot, but front is still too cold. We have bad drafts coming in under both front slides (especially under the dinette slide). We have an appointment in Elkhart for April (I can't go sooner because we don't winterize). After they fix those leaks, we'll see if the front warms better. If not I think an electric space heater is in our future.

On a different subject, after seeing mention here that the new 37 KTs now come equiped for washer and dryer I made the mistake (?) of telling the wife. We originally wante the KT, actually had one under contract, before deciding we simply needed the W/D, so bought the DT instead. Now wife wants to trade the less than year old DT for a new KT. Grrrrrr. This may turn out to be a very expensive forum (ha ha).

Your DT is prepped for a washer drier unit in between the sinks in the bathroom so save yourself a bundle on depreciation and have a unit put in. I negotiated one with my deal and it works great!

rvbunz 11-24-2013 10:23 AM

Don, were you able to track down Jon Krider? Also how is your lean repair? What did they actually do?

DGShaffer 11-24-2013 11:53 AM

I wasn't able to actually speak with anyone. They must have a lot of meetings.

They ended up putting shims since my lean was less that Ford's spec of 3/4" or greater. When I first noticed it I was telling everyone that it was at least 1-1/2". Then I actually measured it and found that it was in fact only 1/2" :D

Adding the shims meant that they had to have longer U-Bolts made. They also had to get the torque up to 500 pounds which meant that they had to locate a torque wrench capable of generating that much torque

rvbunz 11-24-2013 09:09 PM

Don, where did they place the shims? Are you able to take pictures?

DGShaffer 11-25-2013 04:44 AM

I didn't take pictures but they go in between the springs and the axle and that's why the U-Bolts had to be longer than stock.

rvbunz 11-25-2013 11:16 AM

I just measure the difference from left to right. I placed a tape measure under the front left and right cap in front of the wheel wells then under the rear cargo doors before the slant and I come up with a 1and 1/4" difference. Reading Don's post leads me to believe that this maybe a Ford issue?