iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

DGShaffer 11-25-2013 01:23 PM

I'd say that you would be eligible for new springs! Assuming that's what Ford does. Springs or shims, it should be covered.

rvbunz 11-26-2013 01:10 PM

Don, did the shims level your coach out? Is there any difference in ride or handling?

DGShaffer 11-26-2013 02:12 PM

It is level but I didn't notice any difference in handling on the 600 mile trip home. So far, so good!

Did I mention that the gears in the motor to my steps failed on the way back on Saturday? With the issues Thor has been having with the slides on the Palazos, a local Thor service center isn't touching any Thor products under warranty unless they sold it.

I bought a $45 replacement motor at a local auto parts dealer and will just install it my self on Saturday.

rvbunz 11-26-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1822246)
It is level but I didn't notice any difference in handling on the 600 mile trip home. So far, so good!

Did I mention that the gears in the motor to my steps failed on the way back on Saturday? With the issues Thor has been having with the slides on the Palazos, a local Thor service center isn't touching any Thor products under warranty unless they sold it.

I bought a $45 replacement motor at a local auto parts dealer and will just install it my self on Saturday.

Sorry to hear about your step. Should have tried to get Thor to send you one.

cenfl 11-26-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1822246)

So much for the THOR "Shield of Protection" :mad: Getting to the point where I'm afraid to use the thing for fear of what's going to break next :banghead:

DGShaffer 11-26-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1822253)
Sorry to hear about your step. Should have tried to get Thor to send you one.

I shot Steve an email but he hasn't gotten a chance to get back to me. To be honest, it's a 15 minute repair so I'm not concerned about it.

camaromance 11-26-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1822377)
I shot Steve an email but he hasn't gotten a chance to get back to me. To be honest, it's a 15 minute repair so I'm not concerned about it.

Hey, Don. Glad you made it back safely. Were you able to record your ECM data on the return trip?

I ran out of time and was unable to record anything. I loaded the standard tune Mike sent me. I've only driven it a few miles to gas up and get the propane filled but, the difference is very noticeable. I downloaded the recording software but you can only select 40 PIDS to record and I didn't know which ones to select. I asked Mike if he had a configuration file to select which PIDS to turn on but he didn't have one. I was curious to know how you fared.

rvbunz 11-26-2013 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaromance (Post 1822683)

Hey, Don. Glad you made it back safely. Were you able to record your ECM data on the return trip?

I ran out of time and was unable to record anything. I loaded the standard tune Mike sent me. I've only driven it a few miles to gas up and get the propane filled but, the difference is very noticeable. I downloaded the recording software but you can only select 40 PIDS to record and I didn't know which ones to select. I asked Mike if he had a configuration file to select which PIDS to turn on but he didn't have one. I was curious to know how you fared.

I'm assuming your talking about 5 star tuning, what is the PIDS mean?

camaromance 11-26-2013 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1822702)
I'm assuming your talking about 5 star tuning, what is the PIDS mean?

With the tuner I have, I have to plug it into the OBD port and connect it to a laptop via USB. There was software that I had to download from SCT onto my laptop to record data. The PIDS are the ECM functions you select in the software to record. There were hundreds of data "PIDs" to select. However, the software only allows you to select a maximum of 40. Some of the PIDs were things like throttle position, exhaust gas temperature, gas/fuel mixture ratio, things like that. SCT says that the tuner, in this case Mike from 5 Star, should have a configuration file that sets up software with the proper PIDs to record so he can evaluate them and provide a more custom tune for how my Moho performs. Apparently, there are no two V10s that are the same. I figured for the cost, it be worth having him evaluate my data and provide me a more custom tune.

DGShaffer 11-27-2013 03:55 AM

I didn't. I was planning on it this weekend and to be honest, I had no idea it was so through of a process. When I added the tune to my Outlaw it was simple, I just gave him the number off of the OBD plug and with that he sent me a tune. I don't think I would know where to start with the customizing of the data myself either.

The tune he sent me for the Outlaw was pretty amazing and if I just got something like that again I would be more than happy. I'm heading out on my 2500 mile trip to Gulf Shores on the 20th of December so I was going to get to it this weekend

"007" 11-27-2013 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1814768)
My coach goes back to the Ford Chassis shop tomorrow. The great news is that they are installing higher rated springs on the heavy side which is the proper solution over adding the blocks which just compresses the springs, I came here prepared with a weight sheet for all four corners which showed the heavy corner being on the side that sits low, I really was surprised when he told me this and really impressed

I have been reading this thread with some interest about the Ford chassis lean.
Ford wanted to do the same on my Ford chassis also!! :nonono:
Ford springs as they aged could not carry the Newmar coach box. :facepalm:

Some years back I was a Ford owner and had two coach's on the older Ford chassis's with the lean and it was affecting the driving experience.
One coach was a Newmar KS and was over 3" lower on one side and from one corner of chassis in front to opposite corner in rear.
Found this when I got a alignment.
I went to a good spring company in area and they were able to with different size springs level the coach box up 3" all around and the driving experience was a complete change we took a trip through Canada west to B.C. and back east through the states.
The job cost at that time,99, was about $1250 with a alignment.

During the 90's I was always looking for a Newmar coach upgrade and finding coach's that had sat on dealer lots for a spell well I found a MA with the solid wood cabinets and just a great coach during that time period.
It was on Ford chassis and seem to be very good on drive not like the KS I had a problem with.

Well that changed after loading I found after loading the passenger side which is the heavy side of a Newmar coach, batteries,Gen, fridge, kitchen and large storage compartments was now causing the lean to cause the coach box to scuff the rear duel tire wheel well when cornering and any uneven road conditions.

So here we go again what to do?
I decided to install a AIR-LIFT System with compressor and control valves in one compartment drivers rear and air control under dash for rear bags.

Found out dealers would not touch the job because they could not figure out how to mount the bag mounting bracket in the rear wheel wells because of a angle iron reinforcement for the body in wheel well.

So I took on the job, why not, found after removing the angle iron that the bracket would mount flush to the body box.
There was enough angle iron to remount to body box and do its job.
I happened to buy the air system during a spring sale at CW and the price was comparable with the spring company job done on the KS.

Installed the air bay system was able to lift the box up the required clearance's necessary to have good driving conditions.
Controls were all manual at that time the systems now can be put in for auto leveling of your coach.

They have other devises to level the chassis but I found you could not still control the lean that may result.

I thought with the newer Ford chassis's this problem would be a thing of the pass it seems not. :banghead:

DGShaffer 11-27-2013 06:14 AM

Thanks for posting this.

I was in the lot during my stay with an owner of an Outlaw. He was telling me about having added air bag chassis supports as well and how much better his ride was. He installed a product made by Firestone and was really please with the ease of install as well as the end result. He did mention that you need to install over travel straps to avoid tearing a bag when leveling in an extreme situation.

Although I'm not fond of leveling through the use of shims, it is better than it was. I'm seriously thinking about adding air bags if for no other reason that a better ride. I'm not retired and have put over 4,000 miles on it in just 8 months and have a 2500 mile round trip planned for December. So with the amount of time I spend behind the wheel it makes sense to me.

"007" 11-27-2013 07:46 AM

Yes I was retired in 99 retired in 88 at 54 and needed something to do. :)

If I new what I know now about the Ford chassis and many other things related to RV's back than I would have found the time to make a upgrade.

Had two Fords a 460, manifolds!!!, John Deer chassis and a Bounder Ford, V-10, that lived up to its name, their chassis's needed work to be done I just did not realize it at the time.

So good luck you have some options, I liked the :bow: bags the best.
Oh,I almost forgot the Workhorse 8.1 & Allison were the best combinations I ever owned. :thumb: :D

I DID NOTICE THAT LIPPERT MAKES SOME AIR RIDE PRODUCTS.
Its to bad the video's do not load for me.

camaromance 11-27-2013 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1823055)
Thanks for posting this. I was in the lot during my stay with an owner of an Outlaw. He was telling me about having added air bag chassis supports as well and how much better his ride was. He installed a product made by Firestone and was really please with the ease of install as well as the end result. He did mention that you need to install over travel straps to avoid tearing a bag when leveling in an extreme situation. Although I'm not fond of leveling through the use of shims, it is better than it was. I'm seriously thinking about adding air bags if for no other reason that a better ride. I'm not retired and have put over 4,000 miles on it in just 8 months and have a 2500 mile round trip planned for December. So with the amount of time I spend behind the wheel it makes sense to me.

I did a lot of research regarding air-ride systems for my KT. For some reason, Thor Challengers are excluded from all the systems I could find. I called firestone and never really got a straight answer but it seems there is not enough room to properly mount air bags on Challengers. Firestone and Lippert both have systems for the F53 chassis but excludes challengers. I think a system could be modified to fit but the manufacturers are going to take that on. Maybe a good truck shop could do it but I'm sure it would be expensive. I still want to install one so let me know if you find something that would work.