iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

"007" 11-27-2013 10:37 AM

What is the problem with Challenger same Ford chassis?
Have you tried the AIR-LIFT System maybe more expensive but maybe do able.
Your saying the same thing a Ford dealer told me can't be done, little did he know.

DGShaffer 11-27-2013 11:30 AM

I'll be underneath it this weekend so I'll take a look at the structure for the coach. If anything keeps it from being installed, it would be their placement of the welded structure on the frame rails.

That would surely suck if I had to cut and modify the structure just for air bags!

JohnG2013KT 11-27-2013 12:03 PM

Coach seems to be 'shaking' more than before?

Hi .. My coach seems to be shaking when someone (even the grandkids) walks around? .. I don't seem to remember it shaking back in the spring when we went to Talladega? .. It's almost the same feel when the jacks are up and the coach is resting on the wheels/chassis ..? .. Could it be that the jacks aren't lowering enough to take on the weight?

FYI .. found 2 leaks in the bathroom today .. both dealing with loose fittings .. One under the sink .. the locking nut on the drain was loose .. And the other behind the toilet . on the fresh water inlet ..

John & Jan
Presently at Kelly's RV Park, Callahan, FL

rvbunz 11-27-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnG2013KT (Post 1823479)
Hi .. My coach seems to be shaking when someone (even the grandkids) walks around? .. I don't seem to remember it shaking back in the spring when we went to Talladega? .. It's almost the same feel when the jacks are up and the coach is resting on the wheels/chassis ..? .. Could it be that the jacks aren't lowering enough to take on the weight?

FYI .. found 2 leaks in the bathroom today .. both dealing with loose fittings .. One under the sink .. the locking nut on the drain was loose .. And the other behind the toilet . on the fresh water inlet ..

John & Jan
Presently at Kelly's RV Park, Callahan, FL

I called to see why the Thor coaches couldn't use the Firestone air system, and was told that they wouldn't fit the chassis the way the coach was built. I was told at cw that the airlift bags wouldn't really help the lean.

DGShaffer 11-27-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1823597)
I called to see why the Thor coaches couldn't use the Firestone air system, and was told that they wouldn't fit the chassis the way the coach was built. I was told at cw that the airlift bags wouldn't really help the lean.

They have two types, one adjusts front and back and one will do that as well as left to right. Take what the guys at CW tell you with a grain of salt!

I'll be under there this weekend to see what Thor did back there to keep us from using the air system.

I swapped out my step motor when I got home tonight in the friggin cold! My $45 motor had to have the plug swapped out but it beat the $288 price from the manufacturer for the same motor! I could have had it replaced under warranty but getting it to a service center is a PITA compared to 45 minutes on a creeper.

"007" 11-27-2013 04:07 PM

I did not mention that I install bags on all four corners and the air bags corrected any lean there was.
The AUTO Systems should do that correction also.
The rear air bag bracket mounted over the axles as were the front also.
Never took off rear tires , made a patten and drill out through frame, from under coach, for two holes needed for chassis mounting. The other two holes was already drilled through the frame.
The new chassis's may already have the two holes.

Ford F-53 AIR-LIFT SYSTEM------INSTALLATION SPEC

I selected the center system but you can see the one to right with smaller air bag that may have to fit for different MFG box because of clearance between box and axle.
It would be for you to decide for coach you have and options your want.

DGShaffer 11-28-2013 07:12 AM

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone!
https://cdn.irv2.com/forums/attachmen...3&d=1385644227

DGShaffer 11-28-2013 03:12 PM

I have to say that for those of us that are fortunate enough to have the opportunity to enjoy life touring in our motor homes, we have a lot to be thankful for!

I'm thankful that I was able to find a new motor for my entry steps and that I'm able to install it myself. That I found a parts center that had both a new water pump to replace the one I left running for two days and a solenoid valve for the ice maker that I burnt out while blowing the water out of my pipes.

All is good with my part of the world! :flowers:

rvbunz 11-28-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1824962)
I have to say that for those of us that are fortunate enough to have the opportunity to enjoy life touring in our motor homes, we have a lot to be thankful for!

I'm thankful that I was able to find a new motor for my entry steps and that I'm able to install it myself. That I found a parts center that had both a new water pump to replace the one I left running for two days and a solenoid valve for the ice maker that I burnt out while blowing the water out of my pipes.

All is good with my part of the world! :flowers:

Well said Don. I surely hope we get to meet soon.

DGShaffer 11-30-2013 08:00 AM

I'm finalizing my trip plans for our Christmas trip to Dauphin Island campground down in Gulf Shores Alabama. We have been to the area twice with the first being in Gulf Shores itself at a Class A resort. Our second trip was when we found this place on the Western side of Mobile Bay.

The island itself is very remote (not even a McDonalds) but there is a ferry to take you across the bay so that you can get to places like Pensacola in a hurry if you want. Being remote means not a lot of traffic or crouds which is what we really enjoyed here. It's also close to Louisiana so we plan a day motorcycle trip out that way as well for some Gumbo.

There's access to a somewhat private beach which is one of the only ones in the gulf that allows dogs which is a must for us. We rarely encountered anyone out at the times we were there so my Springer got to run all over and even to swim in the ocean.

The CG boarders a bird sanctuary so there's direct access to miles of groomed walking paths so we were out walking about more than we were inside or at the site. As I mentioned above, we also take a bike with us so I have compiled 4 day trip to get us out and around the area.

And, if you've never been to a Lamberts Throwed Roll Cafe, you're missing out on a very unique dining experience :D

Lamberts Throwed Roll

Our first trip to Dauphin Island

camaromance 11-30-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1824962)
I have to say that for those of us that are fortunate enough to have the opportunity to enjoy life touring in our motor homes, we have a lot to be thankful for! I'm thankful that I was able to find a new motor for my entry steps and that I'm able to install it myself. That I found a parts center that had both a new water pump to replace the one I left running for two days and a solenoid valve for the ice maker that I burnt out while blowing the water out of my pipes. All is good with my part of the world! :flowers:

Sorry I'm late but, Happy belated Thanksgiving to all of my IRV2 friends. The wife and I have been on the road without much internet. Made it to The Dell in Pigeon Forge, TN without issue. This is the first time I have driven my MoHo since I got the 5 star tune. I am amazed at the difference. It's like a new coach. Passing, no problem. Mountains, no problem. Also not sure how to explain the extra 3.2 miles per gallon either. The first tank was 7.847 MPG. I filled it to the rim each time so I know it's accurate. I'm a believer.

I'm thankful for guys like Mike at 5 star tuning.

Hope you all had a great Twerky day!

DGShaffer 11-30-2013 05:23 PM

Hey Jim! Glad to see you made it OK. I have a house in Sevierville which boarders Pigeon Forge. That is one of our favorite areas of the country and where we are planning on retiring.

How long are you there for?

cenfl 12-01-2013 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaromance (Post 1827219)
This is the first time I have driven my MoHo since I got the 5 star tune. I am amazed at the difference. It's like a new coach. Passing, no problem. Mountains, no problem. Also not sure how to explain the extra 3.2 miles per gallon either. The first tank was 7.847 MPG. I filled it to the rim each time so I know it's accurate. I'm a believer.

Please excuse my limited math skills...but prior to 5 Star Tune you were getting 4.6 MPG :confused:

camaromance 12-01-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cenfl (Post 1827821)
Please excuse my limited math skills...but prior to 5 Star Tune you were getting 4.6 MPG :confused:

Your excused. : ) Yes, between 4 and 5 mpg. Lower 4s when towing, high 4s to low 5s when not. There are a lot of factors that weigh in. The SAMs club gas I usually use has a lot of ethanol in it, my normal trips have a lot of mountains, I drive faster, around 65 to 70. For my driving style, the tune really helped a lot, plus I wasn't towing to TN and 81 is relatively flat. I kept it on cruise most of the way out at 65. Just sharing my experience. Hopefully it continues. The shift pattern really made a huge difference.