iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

camaromance 12-01-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1827294)
Hey Jim! Glad to see you made it OK. I have a house in Sevierville which boarders Pigeon Forge. That is one of our favorite areas of the country and where we are planning on retiring. How long are you there for?

We're here until next Friday. It's beautiful here. We love it for what little we've seen. Getting the rental car tomorrow for some road tripping.

We're in Sevierville off Apple valley road. So, what should we see or do here? Tuesday is or only planned day so far. Any suggestions?

DGShaffer 12-01-2013 01:42 PM

You'll want to head down into Gatlinburg. It's a neat little town with a bunch of shops and a chair lift to get a great view of the Smokey mountains.

If you take a ride on 441 south from there towards Cherokee you can visit Clingmans dome which gives you great views of like 5 states. Continue on to go into the town of Cherokee. Head south from there on RT 19 to RT 28 north and that takes you through Deals Gap or "Tail of the Dragon".

Once through Deals gap look for Foothills Parkway and head Northeast to RT 321 east to RT 337 in Townsend and that takes you back to 441 and Gatlinburg.

A great bunch of roads for a day trip. The loop will fill up a day if you choose to stop by and visit the towns and the Deals Gap resort. The Fontana Dam is just before Deals gap and a pretty cool site to see.

camaromance 12-01-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1828271)
You'll want to head down into Gatlinburg. It's a neat little town with a bunch of shops and a chair lift to get a great view of the Smokey mountains. If you take a ride on 441 south from there towards Cherokee you can visit Clingmans dome which gives you great views of like 5 states. Continue on to go into the town of Cherokee. Head south from there on RT 19 to RT 28 north and that takes you through Deals Gap or "Tail of the Dragon". Once through Deals gap look for Foothills Parkway and head Northeast to RT 321 east to RT 337 in Townsend and that takes you back to 441 and Gatlinburg. A great bunch of roads for a day trip. The loop will fill up a day if you choose to stop by and visit the towns and the Deals Gap resort. The Fontana Dam is just before Deals gap and a pretty cool site to see.

Thanks Don, that sounds awesome. Do you need me to check on anything for you while I'm here?

DGShaffer 12-01-2013 02:23 PM

Thanks for asking but I have a guy there that looks in on it for me. Let me know if you decide to buy over there, I know a great Realtor :D

You're in a dry county so if you like, you can restock your bar in Gatlinburg.

I ordered the new tune for my Challenger today. Since I had already purchased one from him in the past I get a new one for $80. He did want me to offload the tune from my outlaw and send him a file that I guess proves that it went back to stock.

With this upcoming trip south through the very mountain ranges you just went through I really wanted Mikes tune in there. Without it there was no way I could use the cruise control.

camaromance 12-01-2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1828323)
Thanks for asking but I have a guy there that looks in on it for me. Let me know if you decide to buy over there, I know a great Realtor :D You're in a dry county so if you like, you can restock your bar in Gatlinburg. I ordered the new tune for my Challenger today. Since I had already purchased one from him in the past I get a new one for $80. He did want me to offload the tune from my outlaw and send him a file that I guess proves that it went back to stock. With this upcoming trip south through the very mountain ranges you just went through I really wanted Mikes tune in there. Without it there was no way I could use the cruise control.

I can't say enough about the tune. I drove more by the tach than anything else, keeping it between 2000 and 2500. I did not expect to see such an increase in mileage though. I also noticed the speed limiter was increased. It used to shut down at 75. I had it up to 85 and it was still pulling. Faster than I want to go. Most hill climbs never shifted out of overdrive and the ones that did found the missing gear from the stock tune. I never went over 3000 rpm and maintained between 60 and 70 going up hill.

Amazing.

I let you know by the end of the week about real estate.

DGShaffer 12-01-2013 02:35 PM

Are you in a small park with 4 little ponds along one side? If so, my house is northeast about 1/2 mile as the crow flies :thumb:

camaromance 12-01-2013 02:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1828342)
Are you in a small park with 4 little ponds along one side? If so, my house is northeast about 1/2 mile as the crow flies :thumb:

Yup, that's the one were at.

Attachment 51067

Is your house in this picture somewhere?

DGShaffer 12-01-2013 03:06 PM

I'm about three or four hills from there. I'm interested in hearing about that park, we're planning a trip down that way this summer. I have a long term renter in our place there so using it isn't an option.

camaromance 12-01-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1828377)
I'm about three or four hills from there. I'm interested in hearing about that park, we're planning a trip down that way this summer. I have a long term renter in our place there so using it isn't an option.

Here is the website

https://www.hiddenmountain.com/cabin-type/the-dell-rv/

It's owner sites that are rented out when there not being used. I'll send you some pics later. The internet is screaming fast.

Full hookup with cable. Nice class A exclusive park with reasonable rates.

DGShaffer 12-01-2013 04:00 PM

I'm really interested in hearing more about it. You can PM me if it's better for you. Also, if you have an android phone I can text you google map points that will make getting around pretty easy.

bigdonedmon 12-02-2013 01:55 PM

I have been using the extendable sofa in my Thor Challenger 37DT. problem is when I put the cushions on there is a 3 inch gap between the cushion and rest of the sofa. It would seem like I need to push it in to but up the cushions but it wont stay....has anyone came across this problem?

DGShaffer 12-02-2013 01:59 PM

There are two locking points in the mechanism, one in the closed position and another in the extended position. Once the cushions are in place try pushing a little harder to compress the cushion and see if it locks. If it doesn't, something is wrong.

Once my cushion makes contact I compress it another 2 inches and I hear it catch

bdickson 12-02-2013 03:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Anyone else think the stock horn on the Challenger is puny? I just installed these bad boys and they are LOUD!

rvbunz 12-02-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 1829750)
Anyone else think the stock horn on the Challenger is puny? I just installed these bad boys and they are LOUD!

I installed air horns on my challenger the same week I picked it up. Loud and gets the attention of those idiots that cut in front of you.