iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

rvbunz 12-03-2013 12:48 PM

Air Horns

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of my air horns. I installed in a different location than you did.

rvbunz 12-03-2013 01:13 PM

Mods

3 Attachment(s)
I have done a couple of different modifications besides the air horns. 1. I installed a rubber mat over the fuse block under the hood. This block is exposed to water when driving in the rain. On my 03 Challenger I had corrosion show up on the bottom fuse causing it to short, and it killed my electric step. Had to jump it until I got a new block. My extended service plan wouldn't cover it since most won't cover items with corrosion. The mat keeps it dry when driving in the rain. 2. I put a screen behind the grill to keep the bugs out of my radiator. It's easier to clean the screen than the radiator. Of course I need to clean it now. The last mo was changing the valve stems on the inner dually so I can install my tpms.

rvbunz 12-03-2013 01:16 PM

I just tried my sofa in my DT. It locks in the closed position, but not in the extended position. There isn't a gap in my cushions when extended however. I tried to compress the cushion as Don said and it still doesn't lock. This is my second sofa and my first one was the same way.

DGShaffer 12-03-2013 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1830882)
I just tried my sofa in my DT. It locks in the closed position, but not in the extended position. There isn't a gap in my cushions when extended however. I tried to compress the cushion as Don said and it still doesn't lock. This is my second sofa and my first one was the same way.

I'm sorry to hear that bob. It's a cable locking system so when I bring mine back to the house on Saturday to put in my new water pump I'll look at it to see if I can figure out what might be going on

DGShaffer 12-03-2013 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1830878)
I have done a couple of different modifications besides the air horns. 1. I installed a rubber mat over the fuse block under the hood. This block is exposed to water when driving in the rain. On my 03 Challenger I had corrosion show up on the bottom fuse causing it to short, and it killed my electric step. Had to jump it until I got a new block. My extended service plan wouldn't cover it since most won't cover items with corrosion. The mat keeps it dry when driving in the rain. 2. I put a screen behind the grill to keep the bugs out of my radiator. It's easier to clean the screen than the radiator. Of course I need to clean it now. The last mo was changing the valve stems on the inner dually so I can install my tpms.

I like the rubber cover idea. I had the exact same issue with the connection for the steps on my Outlaw. The real issue was that it wasn't corroded completely apart so it was able to send 12 volts down to the steps but not enough amperage to operate the motor. Finding that was like finding a needle in a haystack!

bdickson 12-03-2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1830848)
Here is a picture of my air horns. I installed in a different location than you did.

So your horns have a dedicated compressor and no reservoir tank? Is there a delay when you push the button? I already had a compressor with a 1 gallon tank which was installed by Hendersons to power the trim unit on my Safe T Plus steering damper. I found that the horns would run the tank pressure down from 110 to 60 or so in a few seconds. I fixed it by adding a 5 gallon portable tank with a quick disconnect and shutoff valve so I could remove it to inflate a toad tire if needed.

DGShaffer 12-03-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 1831255)
I added a 5 gallon portable tank with a quick disconnect and shutoff valve so I could remove it to inflate a toad tire if needed.

Nothing short of genius! :thumb:

rvbunz 12-03-2013 06:36 PM

I have an air tank, you just can't see it where I have it mounted. Where did you mount the 5 gallon tank?

bdickson 12-03-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1831263)
Nothing short of genius! :thumb:

why thank you sir!

sbleiweiss 12-04-2013 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1830608)
A good test for any RV or Marine use paper is to fill a glass with water and put a couple of sheets in it. If it breaks up when you stir it then it's good to use.

We use Scott paper. The reason is the same as if you have a septic system at your home. Most dump stations require regular pump outs and that more the paper breaks up, the less frequent they fill up

I do have a septic tank at home and use regular paper. I see your point about the black water tank filling sooner, but I can't imagine that is much of a difference.

As long as regular paper won't clog up the lines I think I may try it. Haven't found a marine one yet that is nearly as soft.

camaromance 12-04-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 1831883)
I do have a septic tank at home and use regular paper. I see your point about the black water tank filling sooner, but I can't imagine that is much of a difference. As long as regular paper won't clog up the lines I think I may try it. Haven't found a marine one yet that is nearly as soft.

We use angel soft both at home and in the MoHo. It's septic safe and seems better than most.

Mike 1000 12-04-2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1831234)
I'm sorry to hear that bob. It's a cable locking system so when I bring mine back to the house on Saturday to put in my new water pump I'll look at it to see if I can figure out what might be going on

My 2013 Challenger 37DT has non-functioning latch on couch extension too. I had dealer repair, but it only worked once after the repair. After that, the latch hasn't functioned in either closed or extended position. It is on the list I gave dealer when I brought it in again for many warranty repairs. Hope they get it this time. One of the warranty repairs is replacement of the flooring that was damaged before I bought it. There was a gash in the linoleum caused by couch extension.

bdickson 12-04-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1831270)
I have an air tank, you just can't see it where I have it mounted. Where did you mount the 5 gallon tank?

In the compartment immediately behind the jack pump/battery compartment, where my compressor and original 1 gallon tank are installed.This is what I used:
Performance Tool Portable Air Tank 5-Gallon, Model# W10005 | Air Compressor Carry Tanks| Northern Tool + Equipment
I removed the inflator hose and replaced it with a quick disconnect chuck. I ran a length of 1/4 inch flex tubing from a T connector back to the new tank, with a shutoff valve so I can remove the portable tank without the whole system bleeding down. I didn't set out to get a removable tank, it just came as a bonus.

bdickson 12-04-2013 03:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1830113)
I'd like to see photos of your tube mod.

Here you go. Inside the black pipe is a 3 foot length of Rhino sewer hose. I had to remove the end fitting, feed the slinky through the tube and reattach the bayonet with a hose clamp. The screws through the black tube just pinch the clear section to hold it in place without penetrating it. It makes sewer hookup very easy.