iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

bdickson 12-27-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 1859242)
added second gray water tank but only the W/D use it-would make more sense if kitchen sink did too

I wonder how hard it would be to install a pipe between the grey tanks, effectively making one large tank. Lack of grey water capacity is one of the (few) things I don't like about my 2013 37GT.

DGShaffer 12-27-2013 07:25 PM

There have been a bunch of discussions regarding the joining of the gray to the black tank. People wrote about adding a water pump in line between the two with a simple back flow preventor on the black tank connection.
I thought about that one once.

They also talk about putting a clear connector on the dump outlet with a third dump valve which allows you to simply balance the two as the gray fills up by opening the two mounted valves while leaving the added third valve closed, This is pretty simple but takes up a lot of room. Everything can be removed easily when you're at a full hook-up site but just run a hose out of the open door at a dump station when it's all hooked up.

sbleiweiss 12-28-2013 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 1859907)
I wonder how hard it would be to install a pipe between the grey tanks, effectively making one large tank. Lack of grey water capacity is one of the (few) things I don't like about my 2013 37GT.

Or why didn't they just put in one 80 gallon tank to begin with? Connecting might work. But I'd be happy if the W/D and kitchen sink went into one and the bathroom went into the other. That would effectively balance the flows and extend the time between needing to dump, at least with our water useage. This Fall we were stuck in a park for 5 days where you had to drive to the dump station. Very disruptive. We're spoiled using a lot of water and needing to dump at least every other day.

Couldn't find a single RV park on Long Island that had full hookup.

bdickson 12-28-2013 02:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I was getting fed up banging my head under the slide when accessing my tool compartment. So, today's project was a sliding tray. I priced them online, got severe sticker shock and went to Lowes lumber department. Total material cost was right on $50. The slide runners are rated at 100 pounds. I found that a 24x48 inch piece of plywood fit without cutting. Only problem now is, DW likes it so much she wants them in "her" compartments.

rvbunz 12-28-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 1860766)
I was getting fed up banging my head under the slide when accessing my tool compartment. So, today's project was a sliding tray. I priced them online, got severe sticker shock and went to Lowes lumber department. Total material cost was right on $50. The slide runners are rated at 100 pounds. I found that a 24x48 inch piece of plywood fit without cutting. Only problem now is, DW likes it so much she wants them in "her" compartments.

Looks good, can you have a couple ready by Monday when I stop by?

bdickson 12-28-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1860769)
Looks good, can you have a couple ready by Monday when I stop by?

No problem Bob, I'll run over to Lowes right away! :D

DMcRaney 12-29-2013 04:00 PM

Bruce, could you take some pics and explain how you mounted the slides in the bay? Did you carpet them? They look great and would like to add some.

David

bdickson 12-29-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMcRaney (Post 1862031)
Bruce, could you take some pics and explain how you mounted the slides in the bay? Did you carpet them? They look great and would like to add some.

David

I just got back from Lowes with materials for another 3 slide drawers. I'll take pictures as assembly and installation proceeds, but basically there is a 3x1x24 inch board at each side with the slide runner screwed to it. There's about 1 inch of packing at each end of the rail, and it is secured by drilling through the rail, packing and compartment side and running 2.5 inch carriage bolts through the holes. Hardest part was getting the rails aligned parallel and with the correct clearance for the rails. I used a pack of wooden door frame shims to get the adjustment spot on. The first tray took 2 days total, I expect the next 3 will take no more than a day.

I didn't carpet them yet. If I add anything, I'll probably use rubber matting of some kind.

rvbunz 12-29-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 1862042)
I just got back from Lowes with materials for another 3 slide drawers. I'll take pictures as assembly and installation proceeds, but basically there is a 3x1x24 inch board at each side with the slide runner screwed to it. There's about 1 inch of packing at each end of the rail, and it is secured by drilling through the rail, packing and compartment side and running 2.5 inch carriage bolts through the holes. Hardest part was getting the rails aligned parallel and with the correct clearance for the rails. I used a pack of wooden door frame shims to get the adjustment spot on. The first tray took 2 days total, I expect the next 3 will take no more than a day.

I didn't carpet them yet. If I add anything, I'll probably use rubber matting of some kind.

Need to do it in an hour if mine are going to get done when I stop by tomorrow. LOL

Claudia44 12-30-2013 04:32 PM

Sewer Pipe Fitting

I have had a 37GT for a year now and read a thread on the external pipe and not being able to close the storage door when connected to sewer. My solution was to cut off the entire pipe and get a 10" straight coupler that fit through the opening. Now, I can unhook the straight pipe and secure the end cap to the tank end pipe. My flex hose connects to the other end of the straight pipe. Then to solve the cable/water connection, with no outlet available, I had a hole drilled to accommodate both. Wish an RVer was part of the design phase! Other than that, I love my Thor. Fortunately, I live in Fl and do a lot of weekend trips all year.

DGShaffer 12-30-2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 1860766)

Great job Bruce. The price of slides is always pretty steep if you try to match them to the load as well as getting full extension. That looks great!

DGShaffer 12-30-2013 05:33 PM

Anyone adjust their headlights yet? I looked back there but the adjusters aren't visible at a glance so if anyone knows where they are I could use a little help.

Thanks!

sbleiweiss 12-31-2013 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claudia44 (Post 1863348)
I have had a 37GT for a year now and read a thread on the external pipe and not being able to close the storage door when connected to sewer. My solution was to cut off the entire pipe and get a 10" straight coupler that fit through the opening. Now, I can unhook the straight pipe and secure the end cap to the tank end pipe. My flex hose connects to the other end of the straight pipe. Then to solve the cable/water connection, with no outlet available, I had a hole drilled to accommodate both. Wish an RVer was part of the design phase! Other than that, I love my Thor. Fortunately, I live in Fl and do a lot of weekend trips all year.

Thor has solved those problems on the 14 1/2 models.

rvbunz 12-31-2013 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claudia44 (Post 1863348)

Can you post pictures