iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

john109 03-02-2013 10:27 AM

Don thank you for the kind words if I can be of help to
anyone I will. We have all made big investments on this
site in something we all share a passion for so if I can help
Any One of you out I will as you have already done for me. The
Original "crapper flapper". I am at work right now and will
Post my weights later today. I have done some research on
The crossfire system and it seems very interesting.
John

DGShaffer 03-02-2013 03:16 PM

I need to find a place that will weigh my 4 corners. In the mean time I plan on re-figuring my storage layout. I'll try getting the heavy weight stuff over to the drivers side although the bulk of our storage is on the already heavy side.

Please do let me know the weights. I'm going to uses those for ordering my new set of Crossfires.

camaromance 03-02-2013 04:14 PM

Don, how about a 5 or 10 ton bottle jack with a gauge. I tried to find them on Harbor Freight and Amazon but couldn't find one. I've used them before on a bearing press and with a little math, you should be able to calculate the weight at each corner of your coach. I did see a lot of "how to" videos for installing a gauge on a bottle jack, measuring cylinder volume, so forth. You seem like a sharp guy who could figure that out and it's cheaper than dropping several hundred $$ on a set of wheel scales. Hell, you probably have one in your garage already.

Whatnobeer 03-02-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaromance (Post 1482163)
Don, how about a 5 or 10 ton bottle jack with a gauge. I tried to find them on Harbor Freight and Amazon but couldn't find one. I've used them before on a bearing press and with a little math, you should be able to calculate the weight at each corner of your coach. I did see a lot of "how to" videos for installing a gauge on a bottle jack, measuring cylinder volume, so forth. You seem like a sharp guy who could figure that out and it's cheaper than dropping several hundred $$ on a set of wheel scales.

Now that's some creative thinking. The more I'm on the board the more I'm impressed with the amount of out of the box thinking you great people have. I don't even own yet and I've already got a ton of ideas for things. You guys are amazing. :bow:

camaromance 03-02-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john109 (Post 1481895)
Don thank you for the kind words if I can be of help to
anyone I will. We have all made big investments on this
site in something we all share a passion for so if I can help
Any One of you out I will as you have already done for me. The
Original "crapper flapper". I am at work right now and will
Post my weights later today. I have done some research on
The crossfire system and it seems very interesting.
John

Same goes for me. I have almost every tool known to man and I know how to use about half of them. :cool:

john109 03-02-2013 05:10 PM

Don I messed up and left my weights paper on my desk at work so it will have to be tomorrow before I can post them. But as I recall the right side was about a 1000 lbs heavier than the left with no water onboard. I will make sure to get the exact weights tomorrow. Sorry

Guys the scales I used are from an airport and calibrated on a regular basis so I know they are very acurate. I would "think" that all DT models are pretty close unless you have the washer and dryer installed. Which I don't. I can't speak to the KT model as the inside has a much different layout. When I weighed mine I had a full tank of gas and no water but the unit was winterized. So if you got individual axle weights and they are close to mine I would think you could use my numbers. And if anyone is up in the Boston area I can access the scales anytime and would be glad to weigh any rv. I know its a long way to go but I have taken trips for less reasons.

camaromance 03-02-2013 05:47 PM

John, yeah, the KT tanks run across the chassis and the fuel tank is centered between the frame rails. I wonder why the DT would be different. They are the same chassis and length. I think the stows are the same, as well. Weird....

john109 03-02-2013 06:25 PM

Jim I agree on the frame and length but I believe your inside is laid out different. I have only seen pictures of the KT, inside your machine could be heavier or lighter then the DT. So trying to figure if one side is heavier then the other side would just be a guess. The DT has 2 slides on the right side. I believe the KT has 2 also but different sizes. Also on the DT left side we have a large single slide. And the KT has a smaller slide. All these different things are going to shift the weight around and your corner weights I would think would be much different then ours. If anyone has thoughts throw them in.

DGShaffer 03-02-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaromance (Post 1482163)
Don, how about a 5 or 10 ton bottle jack with a gauge. I tried to find them on Harbor Freight and Amazon but couldn't find one. I've used them before on a bearing press and with a little math, you should be able to calculate the weight at each corner of your coach. I did see a lot of "how to" videos for installing a gauge on a bottle jack, measuring cylinder volume, so forth. You seem like a sharp guy who could figure that out and it's cheaper than dropping several hundred $$ on a set of wheel scales. Hell, you probably have one in your garage already.

Yer a sharp one! That's funny, I was at a farmers market today in PA and I almost bought a 22 ton air/manual unit. I never thought about using it for that though. I would question the accuracy of my reading since the frame would be transferring partial load due to twist. With my luck, a slide would fall out :rofl:

It seems easier to locate a weigh station that has a scale capable of weighing the corners. Or, I could drive out to Mass and find someone with access to portable load cells :D

camaromance 03-02-2013 10:54 PM

John, it has to be the layout. Of the 2 slides on the right on the KT, the rear slide is the full body slide from the door to the rear of the coach. What gave you an indication the right side was heavier? Did it drive different?

camaromance 03-02-2013 10:55 PM

Don, sounds like you have a road trip to plan.

john109 03-03-2013 03:59 AM

Guys this could get a little long but I will try to keep it brief. Initially I noticed my right side was leaning a bit. I then got the scales from work and weighed all four corners using 4 scales at once so as not to worry about twisting or torquing the frame and "possibly" messing up my final weight. (Have you guys figured out yet I am a bit anal). Anyway I found my right side was heavier then the left I will post exact numbers later today when I go to work. So then I started digging around different sites and found several threads where people had the same isssue. I ended up getting touch with a guy who owns a Frame and Alignment shop he specializes in Rvs and Tractor Trailers he has been in the business for over 30 years. Also he lives in Minnesota so this was a long distance fix he is a great guy. He had me isolate the frame from the suspension and take some measurements. I ended up being 3.5" low on the right rear and about 1.5" low on the front right. I gave him the measurements and he came up with a block to install between the leaf springs and axle as well as new U Bolts. I did that a few months back and it still looks perfect today. I know if you read around to the thousands of thread out there you will find that some people feel you need to add leaf springs or re arc them or go with the block as I did. Everyone has opinions but I trust the individual I have been working with on this and he feels it will be a permenant fix. So I am going with it until something happens. Guys I am not putting this on here to make people worry or think this will happen to you. But "if" you do notice a lean this is how I corrected mine.

Don I too in the beginning started out thinking I would try shift things to the left side. And then I found all my right lower bays were empty and left ones full and I still had the lean I said to myself this is BS I am going to use all my storage the way it was designed. So I loaded it the way I wanted it got in touch with the the guy in Minnesota came up with block and it sits perfect now. I guess the only concern I may have would be traveling with water as it weighs almost 8 LBS a gal. that adds up quick. But to be honest I have hardly ever traveled with water I usually go off city water at the RV site.

go6car 03-03-2013 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1468186)

That table was bought at CW but RV Upgrades had it in a darker Cherry color although for a lot more money. We paid $79 for it. As you see it, only one side is up so it gets a bit longer with both sides up

That one is more $ because the whole thing is wood (no vaneers). Also - in case anyone is interested, the Cherry color of that table actually has a reddish/orangey cast to it (the website pictures are deceiving). Closer to a darker oak than cherry. The lighter color is similar to what you have there in your rig. Both are great tables!

DGShaffer 03-03-2013 04:41 AM

Thanks for your thoughts on this John. My Outlaw began to sag in the rear from my overloading the suspension so I know this can become a permanent condition over time. I'll try to find a decent place to get mine weighed so I have a foundation for my records at least.

Thanks again!