iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

rvbunz 12-31-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1862074)

Need to do it in an hour if mine are going to get done when I stop by tomorrow. LOL

I would like to thank Bruce for his help while I was traveling south on I 95. I was able to pull in to his area and get fresh water. Thanks Bruce. Rv'ers helping each other.

JohnG2013KT 12-31-2013 10:39 AM

Hey Guys ... I need some help ... I am 1200 miles from my RV .. and need the diameter of the tires ... ? .. I am considering taking advantage of the CW sale today on the Tyre Guard tire covers .. Is anyone close enough to their coach that can go and measure them to tell me the diameter of the the 22.5" tires we have?

Thanks in advance ...
John

bdickson 12-31-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnG2013KT (Post 1864265)
Hey Guys ... I need some help ... I am 1200 miles from my RV .. and need the diameter of the tires ... ? .. I am considering taking advantage of the CW sale today on the Tyre Guard tire covers .. Is anyone close enough to their coach that can go and measure them to tell me the diameter of the the 22.5" tires we have?

Thanks in advance ...
John

Mine are 37.5 inches measured from ground up to top of tread.

rvbunz 01-01-2014 06:47 AM

Thought the tired size was posted on the box?

JohnG2013KT 01-01-2014 10:13 AM

Thanks Bruce ...

Thanks Bruce .. appreciate the help ...

DGShaffer 01-01-2014 05:10 PM

I installed Mike's 5 Star Tune before heading out on our trip to the Gulf. What I found was that this tune was shifting from 4th to 3rd and the RPM was jumping into the near 5k range on quite a few inclines where I didn't feel it should have. I was happy with the first tune I installed on my Outlaw. On this trip I was towing a trailer so I expected it to have to work harder but I felt that if the tune could hold that 4th gear just long enough to allow the horse power to build that it would pull just fine.

While I was at the place down south I wrote to Mike and tried to describe what I was seeing and what I thought would help. After just a couple of emails I received a REV 1 to the tune I was running. I installed it on the trip home and it's now exactly as I like. It will downshift to 3rd on extreme climbs but for the most part sits in 4th and the MPH slowly climbs back to where I had it set. Mike is the best when it comes to customer care and is on top of everything!

bdickson 01-01-2014 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1865987)
I installed Mike's 5 Star Tune before heading out on our trip to the Gulf. What I found was that this tune was shifting from 4th to 3rd and the RPM was jumping into the near 5k range on quite a few inclines where I didn't feel it should have. I was happy with the first tune I installed on my Outlaw. On this trip I was towing a trailer so I expected it to have to work harder but I felt that if the tune could hold that 4th gear just long enough to allow the horse power to build that it would pull just fine.

While I was at the place down south I wrote to Mike and tried to describe what I was seeing and what I thought would help. After just a couple of emails I received a REV 1 to the tune I was running. I installed it on the trip home and it's now exactly as I like. It will downshift to 3rd on extreme climbs but for the most part sits in 4th and the MPH slowly climbs back to where I had it set. Mike is the best when it comes to customer care and is on top of everything!

Don, were you running in Cruise when you were getting the high RPM's downshift? And is it the "87 Octane Every Day Tow" tune that you have?

DGShaffer 01-01-2014 07:47 PM

I wasn't very clear on that but, yes, I was trying to use the cruise control, and the tune does have that name.

I also averaged 7.2 MPG throughout the near 3k trip all while towing the trailer. The added horsepower and response can actually reduce your gas mileage since it's nice having the added power. If you drive at moderate speeds (I was at 65 and less) you'll get to enjoy the added miles per gallon.

Webman9113 01-04-2014 06:34 PM

We just joined the Challenger clan, having picked up our new 37KT (2014.5 model) Thursday from Camping World at Bartow, FL! I've been keeping tabs on this thread for ideas and issues to watch for. So far - knock on wood! - the only issues we've had are a check engine light, which I'll have checked out at our local Ford dealer, and a poor caulking job around the shower, which the dealer redid.

While it's not a "techincal" issue, the bedroom mattress has GOT to go! The only thing I've slept on that was harder than that thing has been sheer rock! Memory foam mattress, here we come.

Overall, I've been very happy with the handling. Leaving the dealer in Bartow, we headed to the KOA in Kissimmee right in the middle of a storm, and it was very pleasant to drive, and also didn't shake our teeth out like the 36' Damon coach we had a few years ago (tires are at 90 PSI, as per the placard by the driver's seat).

Really, really love the layout. Thor did themselves good on this one!

Oh, there is one little thing that I really hate so far: the handle on the screen door is way too rickety. Need to find a replacement for that!

Other than that, so far we're really pleased and can't wait to take it out for longer trips!

DGShaffer 01-04-2014 08:40 PM

Welcome and congratulations on your new Challenger.

Depending on your weight you can even back off on that 90 PSI a bit. I run 85 in the duals and 75 in the front based on Michelin's pressure chart which can be found Here

I drove mine out to the factory in Elkhart Indiana to let them do the work on my slide and while out there they repaired a bunch of other small issues, one of which was the securing of the shower walls and re-chalking it. Another thing to be mindful of is the exterior calk around the molding on the slides. I think that was where the leak in my slide was coming from as it had split almost the entire length of the trim and was acting like a funnel for water running down the slide wall.

Face it, these thing take a pounding being driven so expect things to break and go wrong. Maintain a list and before your 1 year is up, bring it in to have everything addressed at once.

Ask away if you have any questions or concerns and these fine owners will be quick to jump in to help as best they can.

M72561 01-05-2014 12:18 PM

winterizing challenger 2014 37KT

It's my 1st year winterizing an RV an I am looking for suggestions. I am going to blow out the lines and pour some anti-freeze in the bathroom and kitchen sink. I was also going to take the batteries out for the winter. I live in Coastal eastern NC so it doesn't get bitterly cold. All input would be appreciated. I keep my RV in an opened end carport in addition to an RV cover.

thanks

Mark

camaromance 01-05-2014 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M72561 (Post 1871263)
It's my 1st year winterizing an RV an I am looking for suggestions. I am going to blow out the lines and pour some anti-freeze in the bathroom and kitchen sink. I was also going to take the batteries out for the winter. I live in Coastal eastern NC so it doesn't get bitterly cold. All input would be appreciated. I keep my RV in an opened end carport in addition to an RV cover. thanks Mark

Hey Mark,

I live up the coast from you in Maryland and I just did the same thing. Mine is a 2013 37kt. I suggest you also put some antifreeze in the black tank and leave a little in the toilet. I was surprised at how long it took to get the water out of the toilet lines. Also, I recommend that after you have drained the fresh water tank and with the air supply attached, turn the valve to power fill and run your water pump with a faucet on for a few seconds to get the water out of the pump. Don't forget to blow down the black water tank flushing line, too.

I leave mine plugged in to keep the coach batteries charged. The trickle charge will keep them from freezing. I've never had a problem doing that. Also, I'm lazy and don't care to move a couple hundred pounds of batteries, either.

Yours should have the washer hookup as well. I don't know anything about how that works due to the 2013 not having that feature. If you have an ice maker, there is a procedure for blowing that line out too. Again, I don't have that feature either but have read the solenoid is easy to burn up. The author of this post, Don, had that problem. Maybe he could weigh in if your concerned.

Good luck. I always get nervous around this time of year hoping I didn't forget anything. Guess I'll know next spring...

DGShaffer 01-05-2014 08:08 PM

Blowing out the lines will work as long as you are methodical and keep it up until you get all the air out.

You'll still need to pull the drain plug on your water heater but you can leave the bypass closed. Also pull the filter canister and filter from the wet bay.

I've done it doth ways and I actually feel that closing the bypass on the water heater and water filter, then using the water pump to draw in a few gallons of antifreeze is easier and faster. As Jim pointed out, if you have a washing machine you want to include that. The ice maker is a little tricky since you have to create a power cord to energize the water solenoid in order to get antifreeze to flow through, even to allow the line to be blown out. Here is my post regarding the powering of the solenoid. I pull 120 volts right out of the outside outlet on the MH. Be warned, don't leave this energized for any longer than you need to get the air or antifreeze through the lines. If you do I'll give the ordering information for a replacement solenoid

camaromance 01-05-2014 08:31 PM

Don, how do you bypass the water heater and how do you get the antifreeze to the water pump?