iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

DGShaffer 01-06-2014 05:05 AM

To locate the water heater in your unit you need to correlate the vent on the outside to a location inside. Mine is under my lift up storage under my bed. I have to remove about 10 screw to be able to take off a panel to get access to it. It's a three valve assembly right on the water tank similar to the valves that bypass the filter cartridge in the wet bay. To bypass you open the center valve and close the two going into the water heater. This sounds silly but you have to remember to close the center valve in the spring or you'll get nothing but cold to warm water. A guy had a problem on this board where his hot water was only warm. I suggested he check that valve and he had left it open.

To use the water pump to draw antifreeze into your water system there is a long white hose in the compartment where the water tank is. It's connected to a valve that you open and there is another valve right next to it that you close. This lets the pump suck in antifreeze rather than water from the tank. The hose should be long enough to push into the bottom of an antifreeze jug with it sitting on the ground.

Then all you do is go inside, turn on your water pump then slowly open every valve one at a time until you see antifreeze then close it.

I start with the outside low point hot and cold drains, them the outside shower (I also remove the shower head since they crack really easy in the cold). Then I do the bathroom sink (hot and cold), shower, washing machine by starting it on warm for about 30 seconds, the toilet (leaving some in the toilet), then the kitchen sink (hot and cold). Then I power the ice maker until to flows antifreeze into the ice bin.

camaromance 01-06-2014 05:16 PM

Makes perfect sense. I was wondering what that long hose was for. I thought it was another drain for the fresh water tank. I'll have to look for the 3 valves on the hot water heater next fall. Thanks, Don.

M72561 01-06-2014 06:35 PM

Thanks for all the great advice.I dry winterized mine today,Air to blow out lines , anti-freeze in P traps, I don't have a washer,dryer or ice maker. I hope all will be well come spring

DGShaffer 01-06-2014 07:59 PM

In this upcoming cold spell you should pull off that outside plastic shower head. Those things split right down the middle in no time if they freeze. I went through two of them so far.

sbleiweiss 01-07-2014 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaromance (Post 1873229)
Makes perfect sense. I was wondering what that long hose was for. I thought it was another drain for the fresh water tank. I'll have to look for the 3 valves on the hot water heater next fall. Thanks, Don.

Ha ha. I thought the same thing. In fact I used it to drain the water tank once when I wanted fresh water. Didn't work worth a darn and I finally went around the other side and ran the outside shower too. Duh!

DGShaffer 01-07-2014 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 1874096)
Ha ha. I thought the same thing. In fact I used it to drain the water tank once when I wanted fresh water. Didn't work worth a darn and I finally went around the other side and ran the outside shower too. Duh!

To drain the tank there is a valve in the wet bay just to drain the tank

rvbunz 01-07-2014 07:09 PM

I filled my water tank for the trip to key west where I would be dry camping, however on the way down my DW went to use the bathroom and the pump came on but wouldn't pump water. I noticed a Camping World right off 95 in Coca Fl so I asked them to check it. They ended up replacing the pump. Working when I tested it. Checked my tank and they had filled it. When I got to the campground at KeyWest NAS, I tried the pump and it would pump again. Well before I left CW I closed a valve under the water tank and I guess it has to stay open to use the pump. There are two valves on that line one on top of the other. Looks like the bottom valve opens the drain. I also lost half a tank of water and I can only assume it was because I had that valve close and the water drained from the top drain where the hose runs down behind the mud flap. I'm going to fill tank when I leave here with valve open and see if tank stays full.

Mwoodofd 01-07-2014 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1874997)
I filled my water tank for the trip to key west where I would be dry camping, however on the way down my DW went to use the bathroom and the pump came on but wouldn't pump water. I noticed a Camping World right off 95 in Coca Fl so I asked them to check it. They ended up replacing the pump. Working when I tested it. Checked my tank and they had filled it. When I got to the campground at KeyWest NAS, I tried the pump and it would pump again. Well before I left CW I closed a valve under the water tank and I guess it has to stay open to use the pump. There are two valves on that line one on top of the other. Looks like the bottom valve opens the drain. I also lost half a tank of water and I can only assume it was because I had that valve close and the water drained from the top drain where the hose runs down behind the mud flap. I'm going to fill tank when I leave here with valve open and see if tank stays full.

Bob, my 37DT had a recall notice on the overflow system on my unit, and the dealer corrected it. My coach would drain the tank while driving. I have my coach back in the shop with the large slide grinding while driving again, and the kitchen slide is doing it too, but not as bad. How has your slide repairs held up. On perfect road, mine are fine, but with any sway, bump, roll, or front to back rocking, and I mean minor motion, not rough road, the slides are moving and grinding. I am hoping that Thor has a fix for these larger slides. Been reading most of the posts, and it is hard to tell if the repairs they are now doing are holding up. It is definitely a design issue, and my year of ownership is coming in April, and I hope it is corrected this time, or I will go another direction. We like the coach, but refuse to put up with it. Hope your holidays were great, and you and your family are well.

DGShaffer 01-08-2014 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1874997)

The valves you talk about are designed to allow the pump to either get water from the fresh water tank or from the hose that you put into the jug of anti freeze. The one right off of the white hose stays closed and the other open under normal operation. The white tube is not a drain. The drain is in the wet bay.

My fresh water tank has two over flow tubes. Since it is a power fill system that allows you to fill it with pressurized water rather than just from sticking a hose in the outside fill connection, it needs a lot of venting ability since the tank can explode under that much pressure. I found soft rubber plugs that are sort of like the expanding foam ear plugs you see in bike shops and gun ranges. I insert those into the two vent lines just far enough so that I can grab them and pull them back out. They keep the water from sloshing out through the vent tubes while traveling. They fit tight enough to hold what little water might try to leak out but can be blown out if I'm power filling the tank and it over pressures.

I've heard of guys putting valves in the vent tubes. That's a recipe for disaster!

DGShaffer 01-08-2014 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mwoodofd (Post 1875163)
Bob, my 37DT had a recall notice on the overflow system on my unit, and the dealer corrected it. My coach would drain the tank while driving. I have my coach back in the shop with the large slide grinding while driving again, and the kitchen slide is doing it too, but not as bad. How has your slide repairs held up. On perfect road, mine are fine, but with any sway, bump, roll, or front to back rocking, and I mean minor motion, not rough road, the slides are moving and grinding. I am hoping that Thor has a fix for these larger slides. Been reading most of the posts, and it is hard to tell if the repairs they are now doing are holding up. It is definitely a design issue, and my year of ownership is coming in April, and I hope it is corrected this time, or I will go another direction. We like the coach, but refuse to put up with it. Hope your holidays were great, and you and your family are well.

I had a local shop (CW) try to fix a squeaking (rubber on paint) sound in both of my slides. They not only didn't fix it but they created a massive leak in the main slide. I ended up driving it to the Thor factory in Elkhart Indiana for that as well as a bunch of small repairs. This thing is better than new. Not a single sound while driving from anything and it's as leak tight as my house and we drover through some of the worst rain I've ever experienced on our trip south to Gulf Shores last month. It was a 650 mile one way trip for me to get there but I was there with a couple from North Carolina and one from SanDiego. The couple form California drove 2500 miles one way to get there. We all had a great time in the lot as well as going out to do different factory tours while we were there.

sbleiweiss 01-08-2014 07:48 AM

Quote:

Our 2013 DT had the bad slide noises. Thor's fix seemed to much improve them (not perfect). As I have written here before, we just traded for a 2014 1/2 KT. Those slides are very quiet. The tech gave me an explanation of how they were different kinds of mechanisms. He thought we wouldn't even need to use the braces on them. I have only test driven it and brought it home from Elkhart so far, but so far he is right. Sorry I can't repeat the mechanism details, they went over my head.

rvbunz 01-08-2014 08:09 AM

Quote:

Mark
I think I have the overflow problem and will get it checked out. I'm going back to Elkhart for some more warranty work. The wiper seal under my galley slide is coming off and camping world is afraid to touch it. Yes my slide repair is doing exactly what yours is doing. I have them looking at it again.

Mwoodofd 01-09-2014 08:00 AM

Thank you for your replies above. My dealer, and Thor have contacted me this week regarding my coach. (happy about that). The RV show is in Fort Worth this weekend, and the wife and I will attend, and hope to see representatives from Thor there. Never been to a show, hopefully the slide people are there too. Not going to complain or bash, but to see if I can figure out what needs to be done. Bob, my overflow hose was the one on the right when looking at the tank. The dealer cut completely plugged that hose. Not sure if they added another one, but I did overfill my tank in Colorado last July, and the overflow came from somewhere under the Bedroom slide area - scared me because I thought the water somehow backed up into my coach, and was flooding the inside of the MH somehow. I 'll let you know here how the show went and any information I find out on Sunday.

Webman9113 01-09-2014 11:13 AM

I'm planning to install 90 PSI Crossfires on the rear wheels of our 37KT, and was wondering if there are any mounting issues I should be aware of? I'm going to have our local Ford dealer (who's going to do the general chassis service) install them, as I don't have the right wrenches to take off the wheel lugs. I'm also wondering if I should be concerned about the Crossfire's hoses rubbing/abrading against the edges of the wheel holes?

Also, while I'm generally very pleased with the way the coach drives, I think rear sway bars are in order, especially before my wife drives it. Any recommendations on that?

Oh, and BTW - if you should find water leaking along the driver side outside wall just above the basement doors near where the fridge is (or out from under the fridge area inside), check the water line to the ice maker. Ours had a pretty bad leak where it plugs into the fridge. I turned off the supply valve (which, in our coach - 2014.5 37KT - is behind the bottom drawer under the cooktop), and that stopped it. So that's on our very short fix list for the coach, with a check engine light and check fuel cap warning on the list for the coach.

Beyond that, we're loving our Challenger and ready to go out again as soon as we can! :-)