iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

DGShaffer 01-09-2014 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Webman9113 (Post 1877128)
I'm planning to install 90 PSI Crossfires on the rear wheels of our 37KT, and was wondering if there are any mounting issues I should be aware of? I'm going to have our local Ford dealer (who's going to do the general chassis service) install them, as I don't have the right wrenches to take off the wheel lugs. I'm also wondering if I should be concerned about the Crossfire's hoses rubbing/abrading against the edges of the wheel holes?

I installed mine shortly after I bought the coach. It's really easy and does not require removal of the wheels. I drilled a hole through the hub cap and bolted the unit right to that. I used a large washer give it a little space off of the sheet metal.

Photos of the install can be found HERE

Webman9113 01-09-2014 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1877147)
I installed mine shortly after I bought the coach. It's really easy and does not require removal of the wheels. I drilled a hole through the hub cap and bolted the unit right to that. I used a large washer give it a little space off of the sheet metal.

Thanks, Don! I'll give that a try!

bdickson 01-09-2014 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1877147)

My install was almost identical. None of the supplied mounting hardware fits the wheel nuts. Just drill the hub cap and bolt it on.

bdickson 01-09-2014 03:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I just finished installing HID headlights on the passenger side. (Drivers side tomorrow). Very nice kits from hidextra.com. It was hard to take pictures of glaringly bright lights, but these should give an idea of the difference. I also swapped out the turn signal/parking light bulbs and the DRL bulbs for LED's which can just be seen in the pictures.

DGShaffer 01-09-2014 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 1877440)
I just finished installing HID headlights on the passenger side. (Drivers side tomorrow). Very nice kits from hidextra.com. It was hard to take pictures of glaringly bright lights, but these should give an idea of the difference. I also swapped out the turn signal/parking light bulbs and the DRL bulbs for LED's which can just be seen in the pictures.

Did you figure out how to aim them? I'm trying raise mine up.

bdickson 01-09-2014 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1877578)
Did you figure out how to aim them? I'm trying raise mine up.

don, there are two adjusters on the back of the light cluster. One is for the Daytime Running Light immediately above the inboard turn signal and the other one appears to be for the headlights. I haven't adjusted it since I don't have anything in front of the rig to use as an aiming point. Interesting find, the light clusters on our 2013 Challengers are from the 2006 Cadillac Escalade. Go figure.

DGShaffer 01-09-2014 08:03 PM

Can you take a picture pointing them out? As much as I looked, I can't seem to see anything that looks like it would adjust the aim.

bdickson 01-09-2014 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1877786)
Can you take a picture pointing them out? As much as I looked, I can't seem to see anything that looks like it would adjust the aim.

I'll try but there's not a lot of space back there. Changing out the bulbs on the drivers side is going to be a nightmare. The fuse and relay panel is blocking off what little access space there is.

DGShaffer 01-10-2014 04:52 AM

I noticed that and don't envy you trying to replace it. I tried after market HID's on a couple of bikes I've owned and found that they seem to blow out too often. The units the auto manufacturers install at the factory must be required to pass very stringent QC protocol.

If you can just hold a pencil or screw driver up pointing to where the adjuster is and snap a photo of that it would get me looking in the right area. Much apreciated!

DGShaffer 01-10-2014 05:56 AM

I looked up the 2006 Escalade owners manual and it gave me specific information on adjusting them so I'm good. Thanks for letting me know where the assemblies came from!

SPovelko 01-10-2014 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1857084)
i'm fortunate in that I live within 700 miles of the factory. When Camping World created a severe leak while trying repair a squeak in my slide I was convinced that there are some issues best left to the factory service. While i was there getting mine repaired I met a guy with a Palazzo from San Diego the felt the same way. CW is ok for minor repairs but I no longer trust them for anything complex

Apparently you were right DG. Campingworld is telling me they can not make the repair to the windshield safely. Thor is insisting it can be fixed and is speaking with Camping world about the repair ,saying if they can not fix it they will send the RV back to California for repairs.Meanwhile I have made my third $1000.00 payment and still can not use my new RV. My lawyer is calling me back tonight with options...Sorry Thor ,but you will not be getting any of my buisness in the future once I dump this piece of [Moderator Edit]. My buddy who just traded his 5th wheel in was going to buy a Thor class A until he heard my story. He just bought a class A Fleetwood. Wish I would have...:mad:

DGShaffer 01-10-2014 02:49 PM

Sorry to hear about your experience. It's unfortunate that you had to have such a bad experience right out of the gate. No one can blame you for feeling the way you do or blame you for being mad at the manufacturer. If I had your initial experience, I definitely would not be driving my third Thor product. Fortunately for me and a great percentage of Thor owners, we have had the pleasure of owning a great product. If most Thor units were suffering from issues as you're experiencing, they would not be the largest RV manufacturer in the world.

Best of luck getting the windshield repaired and with your bid to get out from under the unit.

rvbunz 01-10-2014 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPovelko (Post 1878631)

Apparently you were right DG. Campingworld is telling me they can not make the repair to the windshield safely. Thor is insisting it can be fixed and is speaking with Camping world about the repair ,saying if they can not fix it they will send the RV back to California for repairs.Meanwhile I have made my third $1000.00 payment and still can not use my new RV. My lawyer is calling me back tonight with options...Sorry Thor ,but you will not be getting any of my buisness in the future once I dump this piece of [Moderator Edit]. My buddy who just traded his 5th wheel in was going to buy a Thor class A until he heard my story. He just bought a class A Fleetwood. Wish I would have...:mad:

I agree with Dave. Sorry to hear about you experience. I have a slide gasket problem that camping world is afraid to touch so I'm going to Elkhart to get it fixed. Yes I know it's time but they will make it right and I will be asking for fuel money. I have had a Damon now Thor challenger and I live it.

SPovelko 01-10-2014 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1878663)
I agree with Dave. Sorry to hear about you experience. I have a slide gasket problem that camping world is afraid to touch so I'm going to Elkhart to get it fixed. Yes I know it's time but they will make it right and I will be asking for fuel money. I have had a Damon now Thor challenger and I live it.

My wife and I were really looking forward to owning our first class A ,and specifically picked Thor due to thier reputation. Unfortunatly for us its been nothing short of a nightmare dealing with Thor ,and now camping world. It is just a shame I now have to get my attorney involved...Really dissappointing.:sad: