iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

sbleiweiss 01-11-2014 09:58 AM

I have a theory about the problems with these 2013 Challengers. Didn't Thor just buy Damen? Was 2013 the first production year after the sale? Maybe all the 2013 problems were due to the transition and or worker morale issues. Thor seems to have made quite a few changes in the 2014.5 models, and ours at least, seems well built.

DGShaffer 01-11-2014 04:19 PM

I spoke with locals while there and from what they said, Thor was the place to work and everyone was hoping to get in there so I doubt moral is the issue.

They did purchase Monaco and all of their factories in the area so transitioning to new facilities can cause confusion as well as production delays that translate into quality issues.

It took a bit of a haul for me to get my motor home back there but I was not disappointed. I experienced wind damage to the entry door as well as the anti-billowing device to the slide topper on the drive out there which they repaired without question and never charged me a dime. They even picked up the cost of my rental car for the extra day they kept it to install the shims needed to level the coach (a Ford chassis issue).

This is my third Thor/Damon product and it surely won't be my last as long as their floor plans meet my needs.

SPovelko 01-11-2014 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1880009)
I spoke with locals while there and from what they said, Thor was the place to work and everyone was hoping to get in there so I doubt moral is the issue.

They did purchase Monaco and all of their factories in the area so transitioning to new facilities can cause confusion as well as production delays that translate into quality issues.

It took a bit of a haul for me to get my motor home back there but I was not disappointed. I experienced wind damage to the entry door as well as the anti-billowing device to the slide topper on the drive out there which they repaired without question and never charged me a dime. They even picked up the cost of my rental car for the extra day they kept it to install the shims needed to level the coach (a Ford chassis issue).

This is my third Thor/Damon product and it surely won't be my last as long as their floor plans meet my needs.

I probably would'nt be as upset if I didn't have to chase Thor around about this. The majority of the time I have to call them as they will not call me back ,even when they say they will. Thats ok I hired the best lemon law lawyer in California yesterday.:dance:

DGShaffer 01-11-2014 06:08 PM

Hopefully you'll be able to sell it once they make the repairs. The deprecation will be tough to swallow though. As I understand Lemon Laws, the dealer is offered three attempts to make repairs on a reoccurring issue. They will most likely send a driver down to the selling dealer and drive it back to Indiana to make sure that the repairs are done correctly. Then they will drive it back.

I have a feeling that the large portion of your issue is with Camping World. Most of their repair facilities have been getting poor reviews. Even my local CW which had performed really well on my other Thor products. They dropped the ball on my slide issue. The factory however understands how they work and made repairs to a degree that I couldn't be more satisfied.

Best of luck and my hope is that once the factory gets involved, you'll change your opinion and enjoy your Challenger as much as us other owners do.

Mwoodofd 01-12-2014 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1880171)
Hopefully you'll be able to sell it once they make the repairs. The deprecation will be tough to swallow though. As I understand Lemon Laws, the dealer is offered three attempts to make repairs on a reoccurring issue. They will most likely send a driver down to the selling dealer and drive it back to Indiana to make sure that the repairs are done correctly. Then they will drive it back. I have a feeling that the large portion of your issue is with Camping World. Most of their repair facilities have been getting poor reviews. Even my local CW which had performed really well on my other Thor products. They dropped the ball on my slide issue. The factory however understands how they work and made repairs to a degree that I couldn't be more satisfied. Best of luck and my hope is that once the factory gets involved, you'll change your opinion and enjoy your Challenger as much as us other owners do.

I'm in the same place. I have ask Thor several times, been persistent, about bringing my coach to them (1100 miles, one way), and they keep pushing me back to the dealer. We like our 37DT too, but are not going to live with it. It is a shame to have to get a lawyer involved to get them to do the right thing. I do not blame my dealer, Thor even flew techs down to Dallas to work on my unit last June. With no plan or to be able to tell me what will be done different, I will follow the same path. Been to shop about 5 times for this, and shims, replacement rollers are not the answer. If there is not a design change from my current configuration for the large slides, I will seek a refund. Thor was not at the RV show in Fort Worth, but the show looked like it was sponsored by 6 to7 dealers in the area, so I could not speak to Thor Representatives. The dealer that sold me is such a large Thor Dealer, the have their own show in the spring at the dealers location. Hopefully they can get things done with their influence and relationship with the factory.

rvbunz 01-12-2014 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mwoodofd (Post 1880803)

I'm in the same place. I have ask Thor several times, been persistent, about bringing my coach to them (1100 miles, one way), and they keep pushing me back to the dealer. We like our 37DT too, but are not going to live with it. It is a shame to have to get a lawyer involved to get them to do the right thing. I do not blame my dealer, Thor even flew techs down to Dallas to work on my unit last June. With no plan or to be able to tell me what will be done different, I will follow the same path. Been to shop about 5 times for this, and shims, replacement rollers are not the answer. If there is not a design change from my current configuration for the large slides, I will seek a refund. Thor was not at the RV show in Fort Worth, but the show looked like it was sponsored by 6 to7 dealers in the area, so I could not speak to Thor Representatives. The dealer that sold me is such a large Thor Dealer, the have their own show in the spring at the dealers location. Hopefully they can get things done with their influence and relationship with the factory.

Mark as you know I have the same issue with the slide as you do. I did take it to the factory and was treated extremely well. Still have s little noise issue like you still have and I also have a writer seal coming off on the galley slide. I've made an appointment for 31 march and will get everything done before the warranty runs out. I will be asking to be reimbursed for my fuel. I know it's like1800 miles round trip and I have the time to do it so I'm more comfortable with them doing it.

Mwoodofd 01-12-2014 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1880837)
Mark as you know I have the same issue with the slide as you do. I did take it to the factory and was treated extremely well. Still have s little noise issue like you still have and I also have a writer seal coming off on the galley slide. I've made an appointment for 31 march and will get everything done before the warranty runs out. I will be asking to be reimbursed for my fuel. I know it's like1800 miles round trip and I have the time to do it so I'm more comfortable with them doing it.

Bob, I will see what the dealer and Thor come up with, hope to know something this coming week. If all else fails, I may see if I can get in too around the end of March. (might see you there) My Next trip to the dealer I will inspect a 2014.5 model and see if the visible slide material and positions of the track and rollers are the same, or different. It is clear that the current configuration is not holding the slide box still. Unfortunately, my wife won't drive, so I have not been able to watch and see if I can tell what the grind is. Planning several trips this spring, and a 2-3 week trip in June/ July to Wisconsin. Hope to see you on the road sometime.

rvbunz 01-12-2014 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mwoodofd (Post 1881469)

Bob, I will see what the dealer and Thor come up with, hope to know something this coming week. If all else fails, I may see if I can get in too around the end of March. (might see you there) My Next trip to the dealer I will inspect a 2014.5 model and see if the visible slide material and positions of the track and rollers are the same, or different. It is clear that the current configuration is not holding the slide box still. Unfortunately, my wife won't drive, so I have not been able to watch and see if I can tell what the grind is. Planning several trips this spring, and a 2-3 week trip in June/ July to Wisconsin. Hope to see you on the road sometime.

If you can plan a trip to Elkhart try to schedule for 31 March and we can hang out and get it fixed right. Hope to see you on the road. I have about 55 members in the tmcoc. How to get some activities going this year.

tedgard01 01-12-2014 09:38 PM

Hi to the folks in the Challenger thread.

I guess I am going to be another member, because in just ordered a new 2014.5 37GT. They are building it now and I expect delivery some time in February.

In reading this thread, I realize that some are very happy with their Thor product and others are not. I have not seen any other brand of coach that is in the same relative category and price range that only has satisfied customers either yet.

Regardless, I am hoping I made a good choice. I expect that my experience may result in some issues, but I hope none that are extreme.

As I have a few weeks before delivery, I'd like to try to come up with a walkthrough list of items to check out before taking delivery. Those things that you would have wished you should have found in your walkthrough, but overlooked, as well as the items that you knew were critical to review.

Any help that you can provide me is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ted

DGShaffer 01-13-2014 05:02 AM

I found this one and just modified it for my particular unit. When I picked up my MH I brought this list. As the tech was walking me through the coach I politely showed it to him and told him that I would find him once I was done. It took me and my wife about 90 minutes to get through it all one at a time and because of that I had a small list of issues and concerns ready. He went through his part of the walk through then proceeded to fix what he could on the spot but I still had to come back once more for items he couldn't repair on the spot.

At one point I shot out from under the coach on my creeper and one of the service writers noted that seeing someone on a creeper was a first for him.

I picked mine up in February as well and asked that the water system be de-winterized and filled so that I could check the faucets and inspect for leaks. The tech taught me how to build a jumper for the solenoid on the ice maker because once I got it home I had to winterize it.

As noted, this isn't specific to the Challenger but once you go through it you'll be able to delete and add items to make it model specific. I hope it helps.

================================================== ==

Bring a 120 VAC outlet tester
Note pad and pencil
Flashlight
something 12 volts to test the AUX 12vdc power outlets
A mechanics creeper helps to view the underneath
Tire pressure gauge
Soft soled shoes for walking the roof

GENERAL ITEMS
Factory manuals accounted for
Verify all items on bill of sale.
Spare set of keys

EXTERIOR
Inspect roof: Paint okay, solar panel, through-the-air TV antenna, radio antenna, dual LNB on the satellite dish, sealant around through-the-roof items, A/C covers painted, refer vent cover painted.
Inspect underneath: Is it undercoated okay? Are there Bilstein shocks? Look for loose wires. Try to see if it was lubed.
Check sealant around the outside of the windows.
3M Front Mask. Look for bubbles and fit. Does it go all the way down under the front bumper or stop short where lower paint could be damaged?
Check clear coat for flat spots (not polished), orange peel, and laps (runs).
Check for scrapes, dents, or scratches but be reasonable.
Are all exterior lights working? Check turn signals, ICC lights, back-up lights, porch light, docking lights, check smart wheel, etc.
Do all exterior locks work?
Do bay doors, engine door, generator door, front door, and screen door work okay? Check rubber seals around these items. Check alignment of the locks so they close properly.
Carefree awnings over LR/Dining, Bath, and Bedroom.
Check tanks: propane, fresh water, gray, and black.
Check windshield washer fluid. Antifreeze?
Does the audible back-up alarm work?
Do all the keys work (deadbolt, front door, bays, etc.)

TIRES AND WHEELS
Get the tire chart (inflation pressure vs weight) for the tires.
Check the date on each tire.
Check for correct air pressure.
Mud flaps on all 4 wheels?
Front disc brakes, rear drum brakes, six-wheel anti-locking mechanism.

GENERATOR
Check oil
Run the Onan generator. Put a load on it.

PASS-THROUGH BAYS
120v/12v/TV plugs.
Do all bay lights work? Where is the master switch?
Do all bay locks work?
Is it a 1000-watt inverter?
Water filter with 2 filters.

SLIDE-OUT ROOMS
Locate all slide-out room switches and run them.
Do all slide-outs work smoothly? Do rollers press on the tile so it might break? Does the carpet hinder its movement in the bedroom? Are adjuster counter lock-nuts tight? Any sign of torque twisting? Any loose bolts?
How do you manually retract the slides?
Check automatic locking mechanisms.
Check slide-out room seals. Use a flashlight at night or the orange-cord work light.
Check for leaks if it rains.
Look for water spots and stains.
Verify correct leveling process when slides are in and out.

BATTERIES
Locate the disconnect switch for the coach batteries.
Locate engine battery disconnect switch.
Is there a locking battery disconnect switch inside the coach?
Does the battery maintainer work? Check the green light. ON = Okay.

UTILITY BAY
Is everything labeled correctly?
Fill and drain tanks to set gauges.
Does the flush valve work?
Run stuff in utility bay (light, water pump switch, electric, sewer, telephone, cable).
Check water pump operation.
Is there a sewer hose compartment? Is there a sewer hose?

COCKPIT AREA
Run the sun visor up and down.
Does front privacy curtain draw easily across the front window? Does it close properly in front?
Do all the features work on the 8-way cockpit seats?
Test both seat belts.
Check to see that each switch works correctly, including switches at passenger seat.
Check Smart Wheel features. Do ICC lights work?
Run backup camera. Check audio.
Check steering column adjustments.
How do you use the emergency start switch?
Run the dash A/C to make sure it is wired correctly.
Run the dash heater and defroster.
Run windshield wipers.
Run dash radio and CD player.
Check surround sound. Are all speakers working?
Run both TVs. Use through-the-air (raise and turn the antenna), cable, satellite.
Run the DVD.
Run both dash fans.
Run the 3-way mirrors. Does defrost work?
Start generator from dash switch and any other switch.
Run exterior step.
Open and close the passenger dash slide-out workstation.
Check the NCC weight tags.
Check recommended tire pressures on the weight tags.
Check the dashboard gauges.
Does the engine compartment covers on floor open/close okay and seal well? Do they lock in open position?

GENERAL ITEMS INSIDE
Check wallpaper. Does it cover everywhere? Is it tight at seams?
Are all mini-blinds working okay? Do they hang straight?
Open/close all windows. Do they work okay? Do they lock okay? Do all have screens?
Do all door and cupboard handles work okay?
Locate and test smoke alarm, CO detector, propane detector. Locate their sensors.
Are all receptacles working okay (120 volt and 12 volt)?
Do all switches work okay?
Check to see if all lights work from all switches, including map lights and gem lights. Where are the mood lights?
Two Halogen lights, with a dimmer switch, above the dinette table
Look for scrapes and mars on the woodwork but be reasonable.
Locate fire extinguisher.
Check all cabinet doors (open/close/hang straight/do latches work).
Check all drawers (smooth pulling/do latches work). Are they all full-extension glides?
Are all adjustable shelves in place.
Look for broken A/C vents
Run the 15,000 BTU roof A/Cs. Do vents work easily so you can turn the air flow off and on? Does front/rear interducting work?
Check for water line/connection leaks (two sinks, shower, toilet, washer/dryer, Aqua Hot radiators, sewer bay).
Check tank gauges. Adjust them?
Check heater on fireplace.

FRONT LOUNGE AREA
Does surround sound work?
Locate seat belts.
Check woodwork under sofa. Is anything missing or broken?
Locate all remote controls

GALLEY/KITCHEN
Run stove Corian cover over it.
Run Convection Microwave
Test the water pump switches.
Run faucets. Are hot and cold okay?
Does faucet sprayer work?
50/50 Corian sink. Are there two side-by-side recessed covers that are level with counter.
Check caulking near kitchen sink.
Norcold 4-door refrigerator. Check ice maker. Are all shelves in it? Does it run on both gas and electric? Check interior temperatures for freezers and refrigerator.
Run Kool-a-Matic fan at fan switch and at thermostat.

BATHROOM
Flush toilet. Use the toilet sprayer. Can water be added to toilet without flushing? Is the toilet water from the cold water line?
Run faucets hot and cold.
Check caulking near bathroom sink.
Check for calking around top of shower.
Check shower head spray.
Run both Fantastic fans.
Run washer/dryer. Check for leaky connections. Does dryer vent outside?
Are there two shelves above washer/dryer?

BEDROOM
Look under mattress Is the table there for between seats? Are there prop rods in place?
Check hidden compartment behind TV
Circuit breakers. Identify each circuit.
Three decorative bed pillows

edgray 01-13-2014 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1880009)
.....They did purchase Monaco and all of their factories in the area so transitioning to new facilities can cause confusion as well as production delays that translate into quality issues.....

Sorry, but that just isn't true / correct. Navistar sold its Monaco/HR brands to the parent of Fleetwood, ASV.

Thor did buy the large former HR facility at Wakarusa, IN. and I understand it is being used by Thor to increase production of TMC brand products.

DGShaffer 01-13-2014 08:11 AM

Actually, what I meant to say was that they bought Monaco's facilities in the area.

tedgard01 01-13-2014 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1882201)
I found this one and just modified it for my particular unit....

DGShaffer, thanks for this list! It looks well thought out and will provide just what I needed to get started.

Thanks again,
Ted

sbleiweiss 01-13-2014 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedgard01 (Post 1882011)
Hi to the folks in the Challenger thread.

I guess I am going to be another member, because in just ordered a new 2014.5 37GT. They are building it now and I expect delivery some time in February.

In reading this thread, I realize that some are very happy with their Thor product and others are not. I have not seen any other brand of coach that is in the same relative category and price range that only has satisfied customers either yet.

Regardless, I am hoping I made a good choice. I expect that my experience may result in some issues, but I hope none that are extreme.

As I have a few weeks before delivery, I'd like to try to come up with a walkthrough list of items to check out before taking delivery. Those things that you would have wished you should have found in your walkthrough, but overlooked, as well as the items that you knew were critical to review.

Any help that you can provide me is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ted

Look over the history here of discussions. My 2014.5 has had only one problem; a rattle in the fireplace. The unbelirvable list of things wrong with our former 2013 is too long to remember/ or maybe I just want it out of my head. But the big ones I can recall (boy can I recall them) are:

Large hole in wall between drivers feet and engine compartment allowing outside air to be forced in when driving. You couldn't possibly drive comfortably at anything colder outside than about 45 degrees.

Rattles/banging in slides that is still the topic of this thread.

Front cap not installed properly, causing the windshield to shatter/pop out.

Thor claims these are not related to the cap issue; we are not convinced; but both fenders came loose while driving; seam split; seal around windshield did not stay in place.

My theory is the 2013 problem was a vestige of the transition from Damen to Thor, and has been fixed by the 2014.5 models (I hope).