iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

tedgard01 01-13-2014 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 1882425)
... My 2014.5 has had only one problem; a rattle in the fireplace. The unbelirvable list of things wrong with our former 2013 is too long to remember... My theory is the 2013 problem was a vestige of the transition from Damen to Thor, and has been fixed by the 2014.5 models (I hope).

Thanks for the reply. I hope you are right about the 2014.5 models. As the 37GT does not have a fireplace, my list would really be small..... Lol

DGShaffer 01-14-2014 05:08 AM

Here is some advise that could make picking up your new coach more productive.

As I laid out above, using a detailed list and taking the time to follow it point by point like a pre-flight checklist will go a long way in making sure you complete it without missing anything. If you skip around you'll miss things and regret it later.

Once done and you have your punch list, go over it in detail with the tech. He should try to fix what he can but more importantly, he can schedule a time to get it back to the dealer for the final repairs and get what parts he needs on order.

Failure to do this will result in more trips back to the deal and more time in their lot. If you have an issue, you need to make an appointment to have the issue reviewed so that they can submit a claim for warranty repair. Once that claim is approved, they need to order any parts they might need. After a week they receive the part try installing it only to realize that they ordered the wrong part, they send it back and a week later install the correct part (I AM NOT KIDDING, this happens almost every time!). At this point, your coach has been on their lot for the better part of three weeks!

It's better to take your time upfront rather than blazing through it only to have to go through this right at the beginning of camping season. If you let that happen, we'll get to read your horror stories about trying to get repairs done and how inept your dealer is.

My second MH was a class A Damon Outlaw toy hauler, I was so excited and unprepared that my PDI lasted about 15 minutes. I was forced to take it to a local dealer for repairs because I bought it out of state. Getting warranty work done was a nightmare and I opted to do most repairs myself and learned to live with the things I couldn't fix.

sbleiweiss 01-14-2014 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedgard01 (Post 1882450)
Thanks for the reply. I hope you are right about the 2014.5 models. As the 37GT does not have a fireplace, my list would really be small..... Lol

Ha ha. Actually, we use the heater element of the fireplace a lot. It is a way to heat in moderate weather without using your own LP. It is a way to heat the front without making the bedroom too hot (we like to sleep cool). I would not want to be without one.

DGShaffer 01-14-2014 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 1883766)
Ha ha. Actually, we use the heater element of the fireplace a lot. It is a way to heat in moderate weather without using your own LP. It is a way to heat the front without making the bedroom too hot (we like to sleep cool). I would not want to be without one.

I totally agree. We are amazed at how well that works to keep the living room cozy in the cooler weather. We camp starting the first week in April through the last week of October so we use it often. The L-shaped couch in our DT makes it a really nice spot to hang out in at night. My wife says she'll always want one in what ever MH we own for now on.

maxtgam 01-14-2014 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1883650)
Here is some advise that could make picking up your new coach more productive.

As I laid out above, using a detailed list and taking the time to follow it point by point like a pre-flight checklist will go a long way in making sure you complete it without missing anything. If you skip around you'll miss things and regret it later.

Once done and you have your punch list, go over it in detail with the tech. He should try to fix what he can but more importantly, he can schedule a time to get it back to the dealer for the final repairs and get what parts he needs on order.

It's better to take your time upfront rather than blazing through it only to have to go through this right at the beginning of camping season. If you let that happen, we'll get to read your horror stories about trying to get repairs done and how inept your dealer is.

Thank you. In 2 weeks from today receiving our 36.1 Palazzo. Five years ago, when taking delivery of my fourwinds C, we did spend about an hour, but...
We had friends with us. BIG mistake. I was (in the back of my mind) not wanting to inconvenient them too much. As they are vet coachers, they where trying to help by adding input, but...
With friends and family knowing of our new coach, lots of offers.

Our plans, get there early, full tummy, test everything, just us and a tape recorder.:D

tedgard01 01-14-2014 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1883650)
Here is some advise that could make picking up your new coach more productive... using a detailed list and taking the time to follow it point by point like a pre-flight checklist will go a long way in making sure you complete it without missing anything.

Thanks again for the reply.

tedgard01 01-14-2014 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 1883766)

Thanks. I have a Eden-Pure heater in my current coach and will use it in the new one as well. It keeps our current coach very toasty.

SPovelko 01-14-2014 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1880171)
Hopefully you'll be able to sell it once they make the repairs. The deprecation will be tough to swallow though. As I understand Lemon Laws, the dealer is offered three attempts to make repairs on a reoccurring issue. They will most likely send a driver down to the selling dealer and drive it back to Indiana to make sure that the repairs are done correctly. Then they will drive it back.

I have a feeling that the large portion of your issue is with Camping World. Most of their repair facilities have been getting poor reviews. Even my local CW which had performed really well on my other Thor products. They dropped the ball on my slide issue. The factory however understands how they work and made repairs to a degree that I couldn't be more satisfied.

Best of luck and my hope is that once the factory gets involved, you'll change your opinion and enjoy your Challenger as much as us other owners do.

Thor is flying out one of thier engineers to look at my RV this Friday. Guess the certified letter from my attorney got thier attention.:facepalm:

rvbunz 01-14-2014 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPovelko (Post 1884585)

Thor is flying out one of thier engineers to look at my RV this Friday. Guess the certified letter from my attorney got thier attention.:facepalm:

Hope they get it fixed and can build your trust. I think you will like your coach when the bugs are gone

rvbunz 01-14-2014 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1884640)

Hope they get it fixed and can build your trust. I think you will like your coach when the bugs are gone

Just ordered new roller day/night shades to replace all the pleated day/night shades. Week be installed Monday at laydays

DGShaffer 01-15-2014 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1884642)
Just ordered new roller day/night shades to replace all the pleated day/night shades. Week be installed Monday at laydays

My wife wants those. Can you give us specifics on what you ordered and their cost? I'm also curious to see photos of the installation. I'm assuming you considered the installation difficult enough that you opted to have the dealer install them.

rvbunz 01-15-2014 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1884890)

My wife wants those. Can you give us specifics on what you ordered and their cost? I'm also curious to see photos of the installation. I'm assuming you considered the installation difficult enough that you opted to have the dealer install them.

Dave,
I'm at laydays in Tampa and they have an on site vendor who makes them on site. I ordered just the day sun shade rollers for the passenger and drivers windows and both day and night for the dining/living room window, the window near the door and the bedroom window. The cost with installation was $1600.00 and some change. I would have installed them myself but I figured I was here and they have ask the tools which I don't have on board for the trip. I've installed MCD shades on my last coach. I like the fact that I didn't have to wait three weeks to get them and the quality looks as good as MCD. I'm sure you could put them on yourself. They get installed Monday because I'm moving to the fairground for the rv show.

tedgard01 01-15-2014 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1884895)
Dave, I'm at laydays in Tampa and they have an on site vendor who makes them on site. I ordered just the day sun shade rollers for the passenger and drivers windows and both day and night for the dining/living room window, the window near the door and the bedroom window. The cost with installation was $1600.00 and some change. I would have installed them myself but I figured I was here and they have ask the tools which I don't have on board for the trip. I've installed MCD shades on my last coach. I like the fact that I didn't have to wait three weeks to get them and the quality looks as good as MCD. I'm sure you could put them on yourself. They get installed Monday because I'm moving to the fairground for the rv show.

Sounds like a great upgrade. I know my new 2014.5 37GT will at least have the front shade, but I do like the MCD shades.

DGShaffer 01-15-2014 11:10 AM

I'd really like to get pull down shades for the driver and passenger windows. I feel they would be a better option for sunny days.

I also like the look better than the pleated design for the windows in the living room.