iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

rvbunz 01-15-2014 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1885221)
I'd really like to get pull down shades for the driver and passenger windows. I feel they would be a better option for sunny days.

I also like the look better than the pleated design for the windows in the living room.

The only problem with those windows are the shape. You can't cover the whole window, that's why I elected just to add the sun shade to help keep the sun out of most of the window and pull the pleated shade at night.

DGShaffer 01-15-2014 05:44 PM

I rarely pull the bottom of the pleated shade completely closed so that was one reason I saw it as an alternative.

Post photos once it's done ok.

rvbunz 01-15-2014 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1885629)
I rarely pull the bottom of the pleated shade completely closed so that was one reason I saw it as an alternative.

Post photos once it's done ok.

Sure will post photos Monday

Mwoodofd 01-15-2014 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1881498)
If you can plan a trip to Elkhart try to schedule for 31 March and we can hang out and get it fixed right. Hope to see you on the road. I have about 55 members in the tmcoc. How to get some activities going this year.

Bob, got it set and confirmed. March 31st. Will see you there!!

tedgard01 01-15-2014 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mwoodofd (Post 1885736)
Bob, got it set and confirmed. March 31st. Will see you there!!

Is this group open to new members of Thor coach owners? If so, what are membership requirements? It sounds like your group is planning a trip to the manufacturing facility. Am I understanding that correct? As we expect delivery of our 37GT in February, we are wondering if this may be open to join in on this.

Thanks,
Ted

DGShaffer 01-16-2014 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedgard01 (Post 1885897)
Is this group open to new members of Thor coach owners? If so, what are membership requirements? It sounds like your group is planning a trip to the manufacturing facility. Am I understanding that correct? As we expect delivery of our 37GT in February, we are wondering if this may be open to join in on this.

Thanks,
Ted

They are heading in for factory repairs. You can make an appointment if you have something that you feel that the factory is best suited to repair. The lot is small so they can only book about five coaches in the same week. They are planning on moving the service shop to the old Monaco facility about 20 minutes south which is supposed to be pretty big. Andy was my tech and I couldn't be more pleased with the fixes he came up with.

They will be hanging out on the lot at night and at 7:30 a tech comes out and rolls your coach in for repairs. You need to find things to do during the day like visit the MH Hall of Fame which is pretty cool, go on the factory tour to see the coaches being built then head down to the Newmar facility to tour how the other guys do it. There are a lot of Amish in the area so there are a bunch of good places to eat relatively close by.

You guys should have a good time if you plan it right. I met a few nice people there and spent time hanging out together.

Mwoodofd 01-16-2014 08:19 AM

Thanks Don for tips. I'm looking forward to going, and am happy and pleased with the followup I am receiving from the factory. I've really enjoyed reading this entire post you started, and the nice custom work and advise shared here. (prefer that over complaints).

tedgard01 01-16-2014 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1886150)
They are heading in for factory repairs.....

Oh, OK. I'll keep this in mind if things come up that I need them to do then. I want to go up there sometime for the tour anyway.

On the other hand, if you have a group of Thor or Challenger folks that do have rallies or other get together's, let us know. We do plan to attend the iRV2 rally later in the year as well.

Thanks,
Ted

DGShaffer 01-16-2014 08:52 AM

All coach manufacturers have weak areas. The manufacturers that pump out the most product will also push out the most units with those specific areas of weakness like the issues that Palazo owners are experiencing with their slides. You have a choice and the ability to research products based on price and reliability so once you purchase a unit, don't complain too loudly because most of the issues are widely discussed.

I'm, not against people sharing their experiences but I like to have a place where we can talk about all of the good that goes with owning our coach. Personally, I've had issues but I love my Challenger despite what small issues I've had. For the price I'm more that satisfied and have been enjoying the hell out of it and have camped out at over two dozen different locations and traveled over 6,000 miles since March of last year and I'm not a full time RVer, my wife and I still work.

With regards to the factory visit. I dealt with Steve at first setting it all up and when I got there Andy was my tech. I was speaking with Steve again as they were wrapping up the repairs. I submitted a laundry list of issues that were mainly minor in nature outside of the leak that my local CW created. I also had a few things go wrong after I submitted the list as well as on my trip out driving through Tornado force winds across Rt. 80. All of these items we addressed without question and to a degree that absolutely amazed me. These guys are pretty creative and a wealth of knowledge. I hope you're as satisfied with your visit as I was with mine. The factory tour at the new facility is not to be missed. Seeing how Newmar does it on their tour was interesting as well and I came out of that glad I went with Thor. The MH Hall of Fame is a real treat seeing how they did it back in the day. You'll appreciate your shower after that visit.

Good luck and remember that a thorough list and good communication are key to ensuring that you come away thoroughly satisfied that everything has been addressed. I also used carpenters tape to mark all areas of concern inside and out and they only removed them when they made the repair. I checked off what was done each day so that in the morning I could go over it with the tech.

Needless to say "I Love my Thor Challenger"

maxtgam 01-16-2014 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1886335)
All coach manufacturers have weak areas. .

I also used carpenters tape to mark all areas of concern inside and out and they only removed them when they made the repair. I checked off what was done each day so that in the morning I could go over it with the tech.

About an hour ago, spoke with my Thor Factory rep. My delivery is set for end of Feb. Wanted to confirm outside colors. I asked him if it was possible for the coach,36.1 Palazzo to be built on a Tue, Wed and Thursdays only. LOL Carpenters tape. Great idea. :dance: Planning to steal that idea.
Thanks

DGShaffer 01-16-2014 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxtgam (Post 1886945)
About an hour ago, spoke with my Thor Factory rep. My delivery is set for end of Feb.

So where is your first trip to? Mid to Western PA is loaded with great places to camp. I prefer State parks and had found a few keepers. Stonewall Jackson Resort in the Western pan handle of Maryland has a small CP called Briers Point. We really enjoyed the place.

Bweiler 01-16-2014 10:54 PM

Have a 37kt 2014.5 on order - should deliver by end of January. Curious to know of any common issues or items to watch out for at PDI. Hopefully most of the kinks have been worked out.

bobandshaz 01-16-2014 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1886335)
All coach manufacturers have weak areas. The manufacturers that pump out the most product will also push out the most units with those specific areas of weakness like the issues that Palazo owners are experiencing with their slides. You have a choice and the ability to research products based on price and reliability so once you purchase a unit, don't complain too loudly because most of the issues are widely discussed.

I'm, not against people sharing their experiences but I like to have a place where we can talk about all of the good that goes with owning our coach. Personally, I've had issues but I love my Challenger despite what small issues I've had. For the price I'm more that satisfied and have been enjoying the hell out of it and have camped out at over two dozen different locations and traveled over 6,000 miles since March of last year and I'm not a full time RVer, my wife and I still work.

With regards to the factory visit. I dealt with Steve at first setting it all up and when I got there Andy was my tech. I was speaking with Steve again as they were wrapping up the repairs. I submitted a laundry list of issues that were mainly minor in nature outside of the leak that my local CW created. I also had a few things go wrong after I submitted the list as well as on my trip out driving through Tornado force winds across Rt. 80. All of these items we addressed without question and to a degree that absolutely amazed me. These guys are pretty creative and a wealth of knowledge. I hope you're as satisfied with your visit as I was with mine. The factory tour at the new facility is not to be missed. Seeing how Newmar does it on their tour was interesting as well and I came out of that glad I went with Thor. The MH Hall of Fame is a real treat seeing how they did it back in the day. You'll appreciate your shower after that visit.

Good luck and remember that a thorough list and good communication are key to ensuring that you come away thoroughly satisfied that everything has been addressed. I also used carpenters tape to mark all areas of concern inside and out and they only removed them when they made the repair. I checked off what was done each day so that in the morning I could go over it with the tech.

I agree would love to see positive feedback. My wife and I are looking for our 2nd MH. We really like some Thor models
But all this negative talk WOW. We may go back to a tent.

tedgard01 01-17-2014 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1882201)
I found this one and just modified it for my particular unit. When I picked up my MH I brought this list. As the tech was walking me through the coach I politely showed it to him and told him that I would find him once I was done. It took me and my wife about 90 minutes to get through it all one at a time and because of that I had a small list of issues and concerns ready. He went through his part of the walk through then proceeded to fix what he could on the spot but I still had to come back once more for items he couldn't repair on the spot.....

You will find a post back a few pages that starts like above. DGShaffer has provided a good list of items to look for in the walkthrough.