iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

tedgard01 01-17-2014 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bweiler (Post 1887350)
Have a 37kt 2014.5 on order - should deliver by end of January. Curious to know of any common issues or items to watch out for at PDI. Hopefully most of the kinks have been worked out.

I meant my last post for you.

DGShaffer 01-17-2014 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobandshaz (Post 1887386)
I agree would love to see positive feedback. My wife and I are looking for our 2nd MH. We really like some Thor models
But all this negative talk WOW. We may go back to a tent.

The only real issue and one that's being beaten to death is with the choice of slide motor designs. Thor speced the Schwinteck to move their slides in and out but the model that they chose was inadequate for the weight of the larger slides. My 37DT has three slides none of which are full wall. My first issue was a squeaking that sounded like the rubber seal rubbing on the paint and was very annoying. My local CW tried to fix it but instead created a pretty bad leak. With that, I knew that the factory was the only place to go for the repair. I've driven it about 3,000 miles since and the thing is as quiet as could be and with day's of driving through pouring rain, it's sealed up tight.

The other issues I had were small and mainly just annoyances that you don't want after purchasing something so expensive. All of which were handled during the factory visit. But still, on my way home I stopped to clean out my tanks and the entry steps just started hanging down like the gears were stripped. This wasn't a Thor issue, it was an issue with the step manufacturer. I could have brought it back in for a warranty repair but I was going on a trip soon after and didn't want it sitting in the CW lot for weeks. Instead, I purchased a $45 Ford electric window winder motor from AutoZone and installed it myself in about an hour.

If you are reading this thread you must be interested in Thor and their Challenger. Don't let the bad press scare you away, other coach manufacturers have issues and they can cost a lot more per foot than a Thor. I paid $104 for my 2013 37DT and looking at what I'm driving and spending my weekends in for that price I can only say that I am 100 percent positive that I made the right decision for me.

M72561 01-17-2014 06:15 AM

B
We have a 2014 KT and love it.the issues we have with ours as follows, broken slide cable on big slide.replaced the microwave/ convection oven,bedroom tv low voltage cable needs to be replaced,bad cell in starting battery,I found a hose on the suction side of my water pump 95 percent kinked when I winterized my unit.we also had the iPod docking station( not correct term) under the radio replaced.Thor has been great to deal with as well as the local dealer.We do have to take the coach back to the dealer to get the slide cable adjusted that was replaced.It pays to be somewhat mechanically inclined when owning a motorhome because of the constant maintainence that will be required driving your home on wheels.

Bweiler 01-17-2014 06:36 AM

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I went back and got the PDI checklist and also took a look at the slide thread as well. I can understand why folks get upset when there are issues with such an expensive item. - but I guess everything can have issues (cars,houses,etc) when new. We are moving from a Fleetwod Storm to the Challenger - both from same dealership. we had good dealer support on the Storm so I assume the Challenger will be decent too. Worst case Elkhart is a few hours away. Hopefully they can iron out the slide issues - overall the concept of the system and the ease of getting to the motors seems like a good idea from the videos I watched.

rvbunz 01-17-2014 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mwoodofd (Post 1885736)

Bob, got it set and confirmed. March 31st. Will see you there!!

See you there

tedgard01 01-17-2014 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bweiler (Post 1887350)
Have a 37kt 2014.5 on order - should deliver by end of January. Curious to know of any common issues or items to watch out for at PDI. Hopefully most of the kinks have been worked out.

maxtgam said;
About an hour ago, spoke with my Thor Factory rep. My delivery is set for end of Feb. Wanted to confirm outside colors. I asked him if it was possible for the coach,36.1 Palazzo to be built on a Tue, Wed and Thursdays only. LOL Carpenters tape. Great idea. :dance: Planning to steal that idea. Thanks

It looks like maxtgam and I will be picking up our new coaches in February. Even though max's is a Palazzo, I am sure we will be interested in following the results of your PDI and how things go.

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks,
Ted.

bdickson 01-20-2014 07:13 PM

Has anyone tried to replace a fuse in the panel at the drivers feet? I blew the high beam fuse while installing HID kits today (don't ask how). To get to the panel I had to lay on my belly on the doghouse then wiggle forward into the space between the seat and the pedals. I would love to have a quiet moment with the designer (Thor or Ford, not sure which) who chose to put the panel in such an inaccessible position.

DGShaffer 01-20-2014 07:43 PM

I've been down there and it not only can be painful but the anxiety of wondering if you'll be able to get back out is pretty high!

bdickson 01-20-2014 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1892648)
I've been down there and it not only can be painful but the anxiety of wondering if you'll be able to get back out is pretty high!

Yeah, DW was on standby to grab my feet and start pulling! Short of un bolting the drivers seat I don't see any easy way of getting in there.

rvbunz 01-20-2014 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 1892656)
Yeah, DW was on standby to grab my feet and start pulling! Short of un bolting the drivers seat I don't see any easy way of getting in there.

Yes it's in a tough spot, my last coach had a drivers door so it was easy.

tedgard01 01-20-2014 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1892697)
Yes it's in a tough spot, my last coach had a drivers door so it was easy.

Hummm.... I sure hope this coach does not blow fuses every day! Lol. I don't like changing the fuse in my Honda CR-V either....

rvbunz 01-21-2014 06:00 PM

Window Shades

4 Attachment(s)
Don,
Here are a couple of photos of the roller shades I had installed yesterday. I also had custom made mats made to cover the carpet in the cockpit, under dining table and stairs.

Ted, if you see this post give me a call. I pm'd my number to you a while back.

jkcruzer1 01-21-2014 06:02 PM

Has anyone come up with an easy way to screen the bedroom window so as to allow a little bug free fresh air in the bedroom? I am familiar with emergency exit windows that have one flat arm at the bottom to extend the window. But my Challenger bedroom window has two flip up handles at the bottom that appear to prohibit a screen.

bdickson 01-21-2014 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedgard01 (Post 1892733)
Hummm.... I sure hope this coach does not blow fuses every day! Lol. I don't like changing the fuse in my Honda CR-V either....

The coach does not blow fuses. The dumb owner blows the fuses when he lets live wires touch each other. :banghead: