iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

cenfl 01-22-2014 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 1895095)
OK, dumb question cause I'm too lazy to get up on the ladder. Does the Challenger have a rubber or a fiberglass roof?

not rubber...

TPO stands for thermoplastic polyolefin and is a type of synthetic material often used in the construction of commercial and even some RV roofs. Roofing systems typically consist of three elements: a structural deck, a thermal insulation barrier and a waterproofing membrane. The materials that make up the waterproofing material of most commercial roofs are either asphalt based, rubber based, polymer based, or metal. Most polymers are thermoplastics. TPO roofing membranes are part of the latter group of materials.

DGShaffer 01-22-2014 07:09 PM

But in layman's terms and rubber or fiberglass being the two terms associated with RV roof materials ours is rubber.

The cool thing is that it's on a huge roll and pulled out over the roof by two guys therefore it's one solid piece of thermoplastic polyolefin :D

Webman9113 01-24-2014 04:54 PM

Our surprise discovery for today was that the rear inner right tire was not only flat, but isn't even seated on the rim! There wasn't any obvious damage, and I didn't notice any change in handling (and certainly didn't suffer a blowout). We just brought it back from our local Ford dealership to take care of a minor check engine light issue. I can only wonder how long it's been like that - maybe since we picked it up (new) from Camping World at the beginning of the month? D'oh!

At least nothing bad happened while on the road, having made the discovery after putting it to bed in our storage lot. Lesson learned: make sure the TPMS sensors are on for EVERY trip, even short ones.

Good Sam roadside assist, here we come...

bdickson 01-24-2014 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Webman9113 (Post 1897854)
Our surprise discovery for today was that the rear inner right tire was not only flat, but isn't even seated on the rim! There wasn't any obvious damage, and I didn't notice any change in handling (and certainly didn't suffer a blowout). We just brought it back from our local Ford dealership to take care of a minor check engine light issue. I can only wonder how long it's been like that - maybe since we picked it up (new) from Camping World at the beginning of the month? D'oh!

At least nothing bad happened while on the road, having made the discovery after putting it to bed in our storage lot. Lesson learned: make sure the TPMS sensors are on for EVERY trip, even short ones.

Good Sam roadside assist, here we come...

My TPMS sensors stay on the wheels all the time. The quoted battery life of my Pressure Pro system is 5 to 7 years attached.

Webman9113 01-24-2014 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 1897863)
My TPMS sensors stay on the wheels all the time. The quoted battery life of my Pressure Pro system is 5 to 7 years attached.

Yes, I'm definitely going to put them on and just leave them on (we have a TireTraker). I have some spare batteries, so if any of them happen to die they're easy enough to change.

DGShaffer 01-24-2014 06:39 PM

What you do to monitor your tire condition in a personal decision.

I do not use a TPMS at the moment because I'm waiting for one that gets reviews that I'm sold on. I installed a Dual Dynamics CrossFire system on my duals on both this coach and my last coach. I was sold on their system because of what I found when running the first TPMS I tried and that was the pressure differential between the inner steel wheels and the outer aluminum wheels with the inners running higher pressures brought on by the higher running temps. The Crossfire allows the air to flow freely in between the to making them constantly equal. If the pressure on either tire drops by 5% there is a check valve that cuts off the flow and then the flag turns black.

I also have been trying my best to pull over every 2 to 3 hours to stretch using this time to do a walk around to inspect my tires by pressure, temperature, and visual condition. I may get another TMPS but I keep thinking I'll get lazy and stop pulling over.

A good friend of mine almost died from a blood clot due to sitting too long on a trip to Florida. He had bought a brand new truck with dual tanks and just drove tank to tank. When he got home he felt light headed and couldn't catch his breath, amazingly enough he took an aspirin and made it to a neighbor who was a paramedic that quickly diagnosed it and called an ambulance. He was within minutes of dying.

I bought my first motor home after a good friend who had saved all his life, built a retirement home in Florida then died at works just three weeks before his last day.

Life is short!

bigdaddy5120 01-25-2014 02:13 PM

Has anyone had problems with the driver and passenger windows rattling like crazy while traveling ? If so , how did you fix the problem ?

Thanks

DGShaffer 01-25-2014 03:36 PM

Yup and I haven't figured anything out yet. It only happens when there's a side wind. Let us know if you come up with anything cool

bigdaddy5120 01-25-2014 04:45 PM

I have put some rubber weather stripping in the tracks . I will see on my next trip if that takes care of the problem. I will post the results.

I just want to see if anyone else had came up with anything.

camaromance 01-25-2014 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddy5120 (Post 1899218)
I have put some rubber weather stripping in the tracks . I will see on my next trip if that takes care of the problem. I will post the results. I just want to see if anyone else had came up with anything.

So here's what I did and it worked. I put a small 1 inch strip of adhesive backed rubber centered over the rear lip of the glass. Just wrap it around the rear edge so that you have a half inch on inside and outside of the glass. Once it's slid shut the rubber keeps the glass from rattling.

DGShaffer 01-25-2014 07:44 PM

Is the window draft tight with that in there?

camaromance 01-25-2014 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1899447)
Is the window draft tight with that in there?

Seems so. I haven't noticed any more than usual. The rubber is 1/16 thick so it's just enough to keep the glass centered in the track without rattling. It will still shut and lock. It completely eliminated the rattle on both front windows. I think a fine bead of clear caulking in the window channel would work too. The point is, it's the rear upright window channel that caused all the noise in mine.

DGShaffer 01-26-2014 05:29 AM

Thanks Jim! Have you two started looking at places for this summer yet? We'll be at a place afirly close to you near the Louray Caverns in Virginia at the end of May.

rvbunz 01-26-2014 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddy5120 (Post 1899081)
Has anyone had problems with the driver and passenger windows rattling like crazy while traveling ? If so , how did you fix the problem ?

Thanks

Yes my windows rattle as week. I've been thinking about putting window trim in like you have in the channels of your car windows. That should tighten up the gap and stop the rattle.