iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

sbleiweiss 01-26-2014 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1899779)
Yes my windows rattle as week. I've been thinking about putting window trim in like you have in the channels of your car windows. That should tighten up the gap and stop the rattle.

Our 2013 DT rattled something fierce until Thor did something like tighten the channel that the window slides in. That made it better but still not great. On the 2014.5 KT we traded for Thor has apparantly made dual pane on those two front/side windows standard. They seem quiet as can be, although we really haven't driven it through a windstorm yet.

bdickson 01-26-2014 11:19 AM

Strange Electrical Problem

I'm almost done replacing all the lights on my 37GT with LED's. The driving lights and turn signals are working just fine. Today I removed the yellow marker lights above the back wheels to install LED replacement light clusters. They did not work, and when I metered the wires I am getting 9 volts on both sides. All the other lights meter at least 12.4 volts. Other than corrosion or a bad connection somewhere, any thoughts?

Webman9113 01-28-2014 09:23 PM

Got our flat tire fixed: looks like a nail must've punched right through the thickest part of the tread. Repaired on site at our storage lot, so we're "mobile" again. Managed to get our Dish receiver hooked up, too, so we'll be ready for our weekend trip to Orlando in a couple weeks... :-)

DGShaffer 01-29-2014 04:54 AM

I'm lost on that voltage issue Bruce. I can only imagine that there is some sort of controller in line that changes voltage to create a blinking effect?

Good luck with the tire repair. I've plugged tires plenty of tires on cars trucks bikes and even my RV so as long as it's done right you shouldn't have a problem with it. Just keep an eye on it and carry a compressor just in case.

They'll be glad you're coming down, they need someone to help shovel the snow!

rvbunz 01-29-2014 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Webman9113 (Post 1904154)
Got our flat tire fixed: looks like a nail must've punched right through the thickest part of the tread. Repaired on site at our storage lot, so we're "mobile" again. Managed to get our Dish receiver hooked up, too, so we'll be ready for our weekend trip to Orlando in a couple weeks... :-)

When are you going to Orlando? I'll be in the area down town Disney from Feb 3rd to the 7th.

Webman9113 01-29-2014 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1904323)
Good luck with the tire repair. I've plugged tires plenty of tires on cars trucks bikes and even my RV so as long as it's done right you shouldn't have a problem with it. Just keep an eye on it and carry a compressor just in case.

I've got a compressor and plan to get religious about checking the tire pressure! This is the first time I've actually seen someone patch a tire, and while I obviously can't claim to be an expert, it seemed like the repair guy knew what he was doing. I hope! :laugh:

Webman9113 01-29-2014 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1904350)
When are you going to Orlando? I'll be in the area down town Disney from Feb 3rd to the 7th.

We'll be heading over on the 21st. It's a long trip, all the way from Sarasota. LOL!

DGShaffer 01-30-2014 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Webman9113 (Post 1905530)
I've got a compressor and plan to get religious about checking the tire pressure! This is the first time I've actually seen someone patch a tire, and while I obviously can't claim to be an expert, it seemed like the repair guy knew what he was doing. I hope! :laugh:

So when you say "patch" he dismounted the tire? I know people frown on plugs but they work and can last as long as the tire. I've even done motorcycle tires on Sport bikes and they've held up really well. A slower turning wheel on an RV is an even easier bet. I can plug a tire and be back in service in 15 minutes.

sbleiweiss 01-30-2014 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Webman9113 (Post 1905533)
We'll be heading over on the 21st. It's a long trip, all the way from Sarasota. LOL!

Hey, if your based in Sarasota where do you recommend for Challenger RVers to stay in that area? We love Long Boat Key and have friends to visit about a half hour south of Sarasota; so something centrally located is good. Pretty and not too crowded is preferable. Full hookup of course. We may come down this Spring, but even if not will come down at some point. Thanks.

Webman9113 01-31-2014 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1905823)
So when you say "patch" he dismounted the tire? I know people frown on plugs but they work and can last as long as the tire. I've even done motorcycle tires on Sport bikes and they've held up really well. A slower turning wheel on an RV is an even easier bet. I can plug a tire and be back in service in 15 minutes.

Yep! He pulled the tire off the rim, put a plug in the hole, then a patch on the inside. I'll be very surprised if it doesn't outlast the tire!

DGShaffer 01-31-2014 07:02 AM

If you're a professional tire guy, I think it's against the law now to plug a tire. God forbid it goes flat again cause yer gonna get sued!

Webman9113 01-31-2014 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 1906056)
Hey, if your based in Sarasota where do you recommend for Challenger RVers to stay in that area? We love Long Boat Key and have friends to visit about a half hour south of Sarasota; so something centrally located is good. Pretty and not too crowded is preferable. Full hookup of course. We may come down this Spring, but even if not will come down at some point. Thanks.

We've been at two of the parks in the area (there are a couple others, but not many close by), both of which I'd recommend. If you're looking for something family oriented, Sun-n-Fun is your best (well, pretty much only) option. It's a big park, huge swimming pool and rec center, lots of activities, and very well maintained and managed. It's not exactly centrally located, but is probably no more than 20-30 minutes from just about anywhere in Sarasota you'd likely want to go, and there's a Sam's Club, grocery story, Target, etc. very close by. There's also a Texaco station right across the street that has RV/truck islands with gas and diesel.

The other place we've stayed (well, technically, my parents stayed there in our RV) is Sunny South. It's a 55+ park that's much smaller and doesn't have a lot of amenities (but it does have a tiki bar!), but it, too, is very well maintained. It's also much more centrally located, with the closest beach access just a few miles away. A CostCo (which has a gas station big enough and with good entry/exit access for gas RVs), Westfield Mall, and just about anything else you could possibly need or want is literally within a radius of two miles.

Both parks have full hookups, of course, and can easily handle big rigs.

So, if it was just myself and my wife (and we were 55 or older - still a few years to go yet!), I'd choose Sunny South because of its superior location. If taking the kids, definitely Sun-n-Fun.

As for timing, be advised that the snowbird season here lasts through the end of March or so and it might be hard to get reservations (especially at Sunny South) for the winter months unless you make them early.

Hope that helps!

Webman9113 01-31-2014 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1907234)
If you're a professional tire guy, I think it's against the law now to plug a tire. God forbid it goes flat again cause yer gonna get sued!

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have done it if it was illegal... :)

rvbunz 01-31-2014 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 1900100)

Our 2013 DT rattled something fierce until Thor did something like tighten the channel that the window slides in. That made it better but still not great. On the 2014.5 KT we traded for Thor has apparantly made dual pane on those two front/side windows standard. They seem quiet as can be, although we really haven't driven it through a windstorm yet.

I just purchased some window weather stripping at Lowe's and cut it down, then put it in the reader edge of the window channel and it seems to have worked so far. It is black and self adhesive. I'll be on I-4 next week at higher speeds and that should give me a better test. I'll update then