iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

tedgard01 01-31-2014 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1908187)
I just purchased some window weather stripping at Lowe's and cut it down, then put it in the reader edge of the window channel and it seems to have worked so far. It is black and self adhesive. I'll be on I-4 next week at higher speeds and that should give me a better test. I'll update then

Sounds like a good idea Bob.

rvbunz 01-31-2014 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1908187)

I just purchased some window weather stripping at Lowe's and cut it down, then put it in the reader edge of the window channel and it seems to have worked so far. It is black and self adhesive. I'll be on I-4 next week at higher speeds and that should give me a better test. I'll update then

Another item added to my list for visit to Thor service center on 31 March. While here in rainy Florida I went to get a jacket out of my bedroom closet and the sleeve was wet. Three of the four closets in the bedroom are making in the corner edge.

rvbunz 01-31-2014 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1908202)

Another item added to my list for visit to Thor service center on 31 March. While here in rainy Florida I went to get a jacket out of my bedroom closet and the sleeve was wet. Three of the four closets in the bedroom are making in the corner edge.

That's leaking not making

camaromance 01-31-2014 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1908205)
That's leaking not making

Oh, that's good. I was starting to wonder why your sewer pipes were routed through your closets.

DGShaffer 02-01-2014 05:31 AM

Miss Dasey, I gots ta make water

DGShaffer 02-01-2014 05:34 AM

Quote:

I've be talking to a few Pallazo owners here that have March appoints as well. You can join in HERE

sbleiweiss 02-01-2014 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Webman9113 (Post 1907243)
We've been at two of the parks in the area (there are a couple others, but not many close by), both of which I'd recommend. If you're looking for something family oriented, Sun-n-Fun is your best (well, pretty much only) option. It's a big park, huge swimming pool and rec center, lots of activities, and very well maintained and managed. It's not exactly centrally located, but is probably no more than 20-30 minutes from just about anywhere in Sarasota you'd likely want to go, and there's a Sam's Club, grocery story, Target, etc. very close by. There's also a Texaco station right across the street that has RV/truck islands with gas and diesel.

The other place we've stayed (well, technically, my parents stayed there in our RV) is Sunny South. It's a 55+ park that's much smaller and doesn't have a lot of amenities (but it does have a tiki bar!), but it, too, is very well maintained. It's also much more centrally located, with the closest beach access just a few miles away. A CostCo (which has a gas station big enough and with good entry/exit access for gas RVs), Westfield Mall, and just about anything else you could possibly need or want is literally within a radius of two miles.

Both parks have full hookups, of course, and can easily handle big rigs.

So, if it was just myself and my wife (and we were 55 or older - still a few years to go yet!), I'd choose Sunny South because of its superior location. If taking the kids, definitely Sun-n-Fun.

As for timing, be advised that the snowbird season here lasts through the end of March or so and it might be hard to get reservations (especially at Sunny South) for the winter months unless you make them early.

Hope that helps!

Thanks. Do you know anything about Myakka River State Park? It is the unusual State Park that has full hookups and looks nice, on the web anyway. We are over 55ers traveling without kids or grandkids.

Webman9113 02-01-2014 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 1908700)
Thanks. Do you know anything about Myakka River State Park? It is the unusual State Park that has full hookups and looks nice, on the web anyway. We are over 55ers traveling without kids or grandkids.

When we visited the park (just cruising through, mind you, not staying there in our rig), we only got a glimpse of the campground area, but it seemed nice enough, and looks *really* nice from the Google Maps satellite view. If you're bird-watching nature lovers, that would certainly be a good place to hang your hat. If I recall correctly, there are quite a few trails, bike paths, and so on from which you can observe the local wildlife.

The two main things to factor in are that it's a longer drive (add maybe 15-20 minutes at a guess) to places west of I-75, which is pretty much everything, and there is absolutely nothing close by in terms of food, shopping, etc.

So, it just depends on what tickles your fancy... :)

bdickson 02-01-2014 06:26 PM

Quote:

bob, I had the same problem. It's condensation, not a leak. I got some closet dehumidifier packets from Walmart and the problem went away.

Webman9113 02-02-2014 04:16 AM

I've got what, for me, is a pretty major project lined up: installing the Currie base plate and the CoolTech wiring harness in the Jeep. It looks straightforward enough that even a mechanically declined clod like me should be able to do it, so we'll see...

tedgard01 02-02-2014 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Webman9113 (Post 1909832)
I've got what, for me, is a pretty major project lined up: installing the Currie base plate and the CoolTech wiring harness in the Jeep. It looks straightforward enough that even a mechanically declined clod like me should be able to do it, so we'll see...

When I bought my new Honda CR-V a couple of months ago, I also had to install a new base plate, I also updated my brake system to a Stay-N-Play, and wanted a tow hitch installed on the CR-V.

I contemplated installing them myself, then I received a Camping World flyer that said they were offering $29 installs. I went over there and they installed all the above items for only $29 each. That saved about $1,500 in labor cost and a lot of my time and the related headache.

I see that they are offering $39 installs at this time.

DGShaffer 02-02-2014 07:43 AM

^^^^ Great post! ^^^^ I saw that same add about the $39.00 installs

tedgard01 02-02-2014 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1909946)
^^^^ Great post! ^^^^ I saw that same add about the $39.00 installs

BTW, as a side note, I was waffling about installing an in-motion satellite system. Well, I saved enough in labor cost to pay for the system and they only charged $29 to install it as well.

Also, as part of my negotiations on the purchase of my new Challenger 37GT, they are installing a new in-motion satellite system on it at no cost (because I just had that installed on the trade in unit before deciding to upgrade).

Webman9113 02-02-2014 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedgard01 (Post 1909859)
When I bought my new Honda CR-V a couple of months ago, I also had to install a new base plate, I also updated my brake system to a Stay-N-Play, and wanted a tow hitch installed on the CR-V.

I contemplated installing them myself, then I received a Camping World flyer that said they were offering $29 installs. I went over there and they installed all the above items for only $29 each. That saved about $1,500 in labor cost and a lot of my time and the related headache.

I see that they are offering $39 installs at this time.

D'oh! Yes, I remember seeing that, but it never even occurred to me that it might apply to a toad. The only downside is that the nearest Camping World is about an hour away, but for that price it definitely would've been worth considering.

So far the installation hasn't been bad, relatively speaking. The main thing was trying to wrestle the base plate into position over the four existing holes in the bumper. The outer two were easy, but the inner pair were...well, let's just say there was some colorful language coming out from under the jeep at that point. :laugh:

Now I've got to drill two more holes in the bumper and four in the forward cross piece in the frame and fit the rest of the bolts. I'm hoping that won't be a major ordeal, but I've got to get a punch to help start the drill bit into the metal (will be going off to get that shortly). That will complete the base plate installation, then I get to entertain myself with installing the CoolTech wiring harness... :eek: