iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

SPovelko 02-22-2014 01:12 PM

[QUOTE=sbleiweiss;1937269]
Quote:

Originally Posted by SPovelko (Post 1936845)

I happen to be a lawyer in real life, and I can tell you that a lawsuit should always be the last resort. No one wins in most lawsuits. Maybe you get a refund or new MH, but you pay your lawyer one third of that value or so, one way or the other (contingent fee or hourly). Lawsuits are expensive. In this case I know you have already consulted a lemon law lawyer in your state. If he says you have satisfied the elements of the statute and should win, then I would tell Thor that and try to negotiate an acceptable solution. Of course I would see what Thor says tomorrow before contemplating anything further. The last thing I would do is listen to CW.

The real problem is that I am getting conflicting stories from CW and Thor. The service manager at CW is telling me he does not believe the front cap can be adequately repaired as to not be an issue down the road. The guy at Thor says it can be. My delima is do I take that chance with something this expensive ,and how much time does Thor get ,considering I haven't even been able to use this new coach yet ,to keep working on it?

Doggy Daddy 02-22-2014 02:22 PM

I had a problem with Thor. I stopped by the factory in Elkhart for repairs and they referred me to Total RV for repairs. Total RV installed my windshield improperly and it shifted leaving a 1 inch open gap. While on the west coast, I called Thor and explained the problem and that they referred me to Total RV. Well, Thor gave me another referral less than 60 miles away and picked up the cost of re-setting the windshield. And it has not shifted since.

Doggy Daddy 02-22-2014 02:31 PM

[QUOTE=SPovelko;1938964]
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 1937269)

The real problem is that I am getting conflicting stories from CW and Thor. The service manager at CW is telling me he does not believe the front cap can be adequately repaired as to not be an issue down the road. The guy at Thor says it can be. My delima is do I take that chance with something this expensive ,and how much time does Thor get ,considering I haven't even been able to use this new coach yet ,to keep working on it?

Will Thor warrantee the repair done by CW? or does Thor want someone else to do the work on the cap? If you haven't, you can Talk to the people at Thor personally and workout and possibly negotiate a solution. If a negotiation involves a cash settlement to you, Thor will put it in writing and have a no disclosure clause in it.

rvbunz 02-22-2014 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy (Post 1939028)
I had a problem with Thor. I stopped by the factory in Elkhart for repairs and they referred me to Total RV for repairs. Total RV installed my windshield improperly and it shifted leaving a 1 inch open gap. While on the west coast, I called Thor and explained the problem and that they referred me to Total RV. Well, Thor gave me another referral less than 60 miles away and picked up the cost of re-setting the windshield. And it has not shifted since.

Generally if you just stop art the service canter without an appointment and they are booked they will refer you to Total Rv. If they can fit you in they will. They sent me to Total RV , but I noticed another problem after I left Total RV went back to the service center and they fixed it as soon as they were able to free up a tech. It wasn't a bug fix so I was lucky

sbleiweiss 02-23-2014 08:18 AM

[QUOTE=SPovelko;1938964]
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 1937269)

I would listen to Thor. But I would get it in writing, including an extension of the one year warranty on this issue. Thor has told me that they are very good about extending on an issue that came up in warranty but wasn't fixed right and reoccurs after the year is up, even without any special agreement. But I would still ask for the written agreement in your case where you know of the possible issue.

I assume you don't have an extended service contract? If you do I might alert them to the issue too.

SPovelko 02-23-2014 09:19 AM

[QUOTE=sbleiweiss;1939912]
Quote:

Originally Posted by SPovelko (Post 1938964)

I would listen to Thor. But I would get it in writing, including an extension of the one year warranty on this issue. Thor has told me that they are very good about extending on an issue that came up in warranty but wasn't fixed right and reoccurs after the year is up, even without any special agreement. But I would still ask for the written agreement in your case where you know of the possible issue.

I assume you don't have an extended service contract? If you do I might alert them to the issue too.

I do have the extended five year warranty. The manufacturers warranty on the sub-structure and walls is for two years even without purchasing the extended warranty. At this point though I feel it necessary to consult my attorney ,as I simply do not have any confidence in this repair. Thor has sent people out three times already ,and I have not been able to use this new coach for the first four months of ownership.I think I am going to go with the attorneys recommendations.:banghead:

SPovelko 02-23-2014 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy (Post 1939028)

It's good to hear that Thor stepped up to the plate for you ,but the RV I have is brand new and I haven't been able to even use it yet due to this issue.I will post the timeline of events so that you all get a better idea of what me and my wife(heartbroken at this point) have been going through.

SPovelko 02-23-2014 09:44 AM

Timeline on 2013 Thor Challenger KT

TIMELINE OF EVENTS:

October 29 ,2013 - Purchased 2013 Thor Challenger from Giant RV in Colton California.Noticed crack in front passengers side windshield during walk thru.I was informed by Giant RV that they would replace it and ship it to Camping World in Las Vegas to be replaced.

November 29 ,2013 - Was informed by Camping World that Windshield had not shipped and was informed by Giant RV that Thor was requesting photos of damaged windshield prior to shipping new windshield.

December 6 ,2013 - Dropped off RV at Camping World for scheduled appointment to replace damaged windshield.Photos were taken of damaged windshield and sent to Thor at which time new windshield was shipped to Camping World.

December 20 ,2013 - I Was informed by Camping World that the front cap was defective and the windshield would not fit properly.I was also informed by Camping World that they were having difficulty contacting Thor and was directed to contact Thor myself regarding defective front cap.I spoke with xxx with Thor and was informed by him that he did not believe front cap could be defective and that he would contact Camping World.xxx said he would call me back asap.

December 23 ,2013 - I contacted xxx with Thor as I had received no return phone call from him.xxx stated that he had no new information regarding the front cap.xxx said he would look into it and call me back.

December 24 ,2013 - I contacted xxx(Service Adviser w/Camping World) as xxx with Thor never called me back ,and was informed that Thor wanted them to take measurements of the inside of the front cap.

December 31 ,2013 - I contacted xxx with Camping World and was informed that they(Camping World) would start adjusting the front cap on Thursday(January 2 ,2014).

January 10 ,2014 - I contacted Camping World for an update and was informed by xxx to speak with xxx in Camping Worlds body shop regarding the issues with the front cap.xxx transferred me to xxx.xxx informed me that in his professional opinion that the front cap was defective and not fixable ,and that the RV needed to go back to Thor in Indiana for the proper repairs.I contacted Thor and spoke with xxx supervisor and was informed that Campingworld was given instructions on how to make the repairs and that they believed the front cap is not defective(without seeing it!).

January 13 ,2014 - (Wife) contacted Thor and spoke with xxx , Thor Warranty Tech and was informed that Thor was going to send someone to Camping World to direct repairs on January 17,2014.

January 17, 2014 - Thor representative arrived in Vegas as Camping world to advise service center how to properly and safely complete the repairs so that the windshield could be installed.

January 21 ,2014 - I spoke with xxx and was informed that the Thor Representative (xxx Technical Manager of Thor) met with xxx and was directed in how to make the repairs.xxx informed me that they would start making repairs the beginning of the next week(January 27 ,2014).

January 31 ,2014 - I contacted xxx(Camping World) and was informed that the repair was attempted on Tuesday(January 28 ,2014),but could not be completed ,as the instructions given to them by Thor do not match the existing conditions on the inside of the front cap.xxx also stated that they have been trying to get in touch with Thor since Wednesday(January 29 ,2014) without success.I attempted to contact Thor ,but they were closed. (SP)

February 3 ,2014 - 7:00am left phone message for xxx at Thor to advise of situation (MP).

February 3, 2014 - 7:51am xxx returned called. xxx has been on vacation and unreachable which is why Camping World has not been able to reach him. xxx has his boss calling to reach xxx. He will call me back. (MP)

February 3, 2014 - 10:05am xxx returned called with update that he got from his boss who texted xxx on his cruise. xxx is expected in town tonight at 11pm and will be in the office tomorrow. He will ensure that xxx speaks with Camping World tomorrow since he was the person who visually inspected the challenges of this windshield. (MP)

February 3, 2014 - 10:13am Called xxx at Camping World to give him an update that xxx has been out of the office but will call him tomorrow with the next steps. He explained that they too called and emailed today and were advised that xxx is out of the office. Asked xxx to keep me posted and that I would also follow up with Thor tomorrow to ensure that Camping World has received a return call. (MP)

February 4, 2014 - 12:30pm Spoke to xxx at Thor to get an update. xxx is calling Camping World today. (MP)

February 4, 2014 - 4:00pm left message for xxx at Camping World for update. (MP)

February 4, 2014 - 4:35pm xxx with Camping World returned call stating the xxx did contact them but they had missed his call. They will reach out to him tomorrow. (MP)

February 5, 2014 - 11:41am xxx with Camping World called to advise of update. His team and xxx have spoken and determined that they need to send a tech from the factory to make the necessary repairs on site. The earliest that they can have someone in Vegas is Monday. They are expecting a representative onsite on Monday to stay until the repair is completed. (MP)

February 10, 2014 - 2:18pm Called xxx with Camping World for update. Technician from Thor had not arrived yet and was expected at noon today. xxx did speak with xxx with Thor who was coordinating the technician who would check on the status of the expected arrival. (MP)

February 10, 2014 - 4:45pm xxx with Camping World called to let me know that the technician arrived and looked at the RV. They will return tomorrow at 8am to begin repairs. I advised xxx not to let them leave without fixing it for us. (MP)

February 11, 2014 - 4:50pm Called xxx with Camping World for update. He advised me that the modifications were made and that the glass is in. Needs to sit overnight to cure. (MP)

February 13, 2014 - 3:00pm Called xxx with Camping World for update and left phone message. (MP)

February 13, 2014 - 5:20pm xxx returned call to advise me that the windshield is fix and looks good like nothing was ever wrong, however the front cap did not line up exact so now needs to have his body shop repair some trim. Timeline for the body shop is not known but will let me know. In the meantime, they will begin on the rest of the list of warranty items and the installation of the satellite and surge protector. (MP)

February 14, 2014 - Visited Camping World to review repair work. Change to front cap resulted in 1/2 inch off set of cap and now paint and graphics do not line up properly. Camping World has been unable to obtain authorization from Thor to begin work that will take another 2-3 weeks to repaint and repair. (SP)

February 14, 2014 - 10:50am called xxx at Thor - not available. Left phone message for xxx, Director of Customer Service of Thor to obtain authorization from Thor to begin work. (MP)

February 14, 2014 - sent email expressing frustration to customer service (MP)

February 14, 2014 - 11:20am called xxx, he sees the pre-authorization and will get with xxx for approval. Explained that this is taking way too long and our frustration. (MP)

February 14, 2014 - 2:10pm received a call from xxx, Assistant VP of Operations with Thor. He stated that he sees the authorization for the paint but with a question for Camping World. He advised me that he will make sure that the process is expedited so that we can get our coach back. He will discuss with xxx, xxx boss as well. (MP)

February 14, 204 - 5:20pm received return call from xxx at Camping World. Advised him that the authorization was approved for the body work (paint) and Thor had a question for them. He would find out what they needed. Advised xxx to call me for updates and if he needs anything to keep the process moving.(MP)

Feb 17 - 9:15am received call from xxx at Thor to advise us that the approvals have been processed. (MP)

Feb 17 - noon received call from xxx with Camping World to advise us that they have the approvals and moving coach to body shop for painting. (SP)

Feb 19, 2014 - 8am received call from xxx, Thor, who works forxxx,xxx boss.
xxx wanted to let me know that all approval have been made and that I can reach him at any time for an update.

Feb 19, 2014 - 4:03pm called xxxat Camping World, Body Shop Mgr, for an update on the paint. (MP)

Feb 20, 2014 - 10:48am Received call from xxx at Camping World, he advised that they are trying to color match the RV. However, the windshield repair left a gap at the top of the coach. Thor is sending xxx out to review the gap since it can not be closed without altering the cap but altering the cap will create the windshield problem again. The gap could cause water damage. (MP)

Feb 20, 2014 - 10:53am Left message for xxx to speak with use regarding this issue. (MP)

Feb 20, 2014 - 10:58am Received call from xxx and told him about this gap issue. He had no notes of this new problem and will talk to xxx about this issue. I advised him that we are done waiting for this repair.

Feb 20, 2014 - 11:11am Received call from xxx that xxx will be in Vegas tomorrow am to review gap. I asked about a refund or replacement and he said that would have to be with the dealer and he is in warranty.

How this guy thinks this is a dealer issue ,when it is clearly a Manufacturers issue I do not know.:banghead:

okiefrank 02-23-2014 11:31 PM

You must have the patients of Job,, would have had this thing back to the dealer after the first real problem, I would have my attorney pounding on someones desk and have another motor home to replace this mess. Just my opinion..

DGShaffer 02-24-2014 04:11 AM

Yup. Never trust a CW or any all brand repair facility for anything major. Sounds like the Giant RV dealer started this one rolling and CW just let it snow ball. I would have had Thor either pick it up or I would have driven it there for this issue. Assuming I would have bought it without a windshield which I can honestly say I wouldn't have.

sbleiweiss 02-24-2014 08:10 AM

Terrible! The only difference with our situation is that we had Thor pick it up (much closer than you are) and fix it themselves. I would still try to negotiate this direct with Thor. A third of $110,000 or so is a lot of money you will lose using a lawyer. I have observed that they write checks pretty easily at Thor.

SPovelko 02-25-2014 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 1941476)
Terrible! The only difference with our situation is that we had Thor pick it up (much closer than you are) and fix it themselves. I would still try to negotiate this direct with Thor. A third of $110,000 or so is a lot of money you will lose using a lawyer. I have observed that they write checks pretty easily at Thor.

Update.The Technician with Thor showed up at CW last Friday and completed the adjustment of the front cap himself.The gap at the top of the cap is now closed. I spoke with the warranty department with Thor they are going to reimburse me for everything from the time I bought the RV and are guarantying the repair.CW has documented the history of the repair ,which Thor reps made themselves. So if I ever have to replace the windshield at least it is documented that Thor adjusted the front cap themselves.:dance:

tedgard01 02-25-2014 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPovelko (Post 1943549)
Update.The Technician with Thor showed up at CW last Friday and completed the adjustment of the front cap himself.The gap at the top of the cap is now closed. I spoke with the warranty department with Thor they are going to reimburse me for everything from the time I bought the RV and are guarantying the repair.CW has documented the history of the repair ,which Thor reps made themselves. So if I ever have to replace the windshield at least it is documented that Thor adjusted the front cap themselves.:dance:

Wonderful!

This may have been a difficult time, but it sounds like Thor has done their part to make you whole. I am proud of the way they came through. And this gives me confidence that I chose them for my new RV.

rvbunz 02-25-2014 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPovelko (Post 1943549)

Great. I'm so glad Thor has stepped up for you, just wish it wouldn't have taken so long. I hope you can now enjoy your coach. Happy and safe travels.