iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

Sunshiny 03-15-2014 07:38 PM

We love the bathroom in the DT, but we don't need the large dinette since it's just the two of us and we tend to eat with a plate in our lap. Pretty much have it narrowed down to the GT, just wish I could be at peace with that window.

rvbunz 03-15-2014 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunshiny (Post 1969180)
We love the bathroom in the DT, but we don't need the large dinette since it's just the two of us and we tend to eat with a plate in our lap. Pretty much have it narrowed down to the GT, just wish I could be at peace with that window.

We are thinking of changing out dinette out. Replace the u shaped dinette with table and chairs with a window ledge/ work area.

okiefrank 03-15-2014 11:39 PM

We have the GT and the wife loves the big window, If you don't want to look out you can always pull the blinds, but we love it.

sbleiweiss 03-16-2014 07:23 AM

Not quoting because responding to several threads. Just got out of winter in Chicago after a brutal winter. Writing this morning from Pigeon Forge TN. In a beutiful campground on an end spot where we face nothing but creek, woods and field. Didn't even have to close shades last night. Yesterday was 70 degrees and sunny. This morning is 51 and raining. Good news is the new KT is watertight and the heat works. Ha ha. Still nice to be here. For the woman worried about the windows, they work great on the KT. Of course you still have to worry about what your table window faces, but we work hard to find spots that can be neighbor-free on that side and in the rear. Found it this time anyway. Yay. If you go the GT route, just try to do the same thing on the other side. We will be at Thor April 7. Anyone else be there then?

Mwoodofd 03-16-2014 07:45 AM

We will be there the week of March 31st. I don't believe we will be there more than 4 or 5 days, then we head back home to the DFW area.

rvbunz 03-16-2014 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 1969571)
Not quoting because responding to several threads. Just got out of winter in Chicago after a brutal winter. Writing this morning from Pigeon Forge TN. In a beutiful campground on an end spot where we face nothing but creek, woods and field. Didn't even have to close shades last night. Yesterday was 70 degrees and sunny. This morning is 51 and raining. Good news is the new KT is watertight and the heat works. Ha ha. Still nice to be here. For the woman worried about the windows, they work great on the KT. Of course you still have to worry about what your table window faces, but we work hard to find spots that can be neighbor-free on that side and in the rear. Found it this time anyway. Yay. If you go the GT route, just try to do the same thing on the other side. We will be at Thor April 7. Anyone else be there then?

I'll probably be fine by then. I'll be in Elkhart for my appointment on the 31 st, and if ask goes well I'll be there a few days, if not you may see me there. I'll be meeting with Jon Krider about our club. Have a safe trip, may see you on the highway. When are you heading out for Elkhart? Maybe we can get in touch and meet on the highway.

rvbunz 03-16-2014 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvbunz (Post 1969601)

I'll probably be fine by then. I'll be in Elkhart for my appointment on the 31 st, and if ask goes well I'll be there a few days, if not you may see me there. I'll be meeting with Jon Krider about our club. Have a safe trip, may see you on the highway. When are you heading out for Elkhart? Maybe we can get in touch and meet on the highway.

That's gone by then not fine.

DGShaffer 03-16-2014 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 1969571)
Writing this morning from Pigeon Forge TN. In a beutiful campground on an end spot where we face nothing but creek, woods and field.

Which CG did you choose, and which spot do you have? We're heading to the area for Labor day this year and have reservations at Deep Creek in Cherokee.

DMcRaney 03-16-2014 10:50 AM

Sunshiny we have the GT and have been on the road for 10 weeks since October. I can safely say we like our big window. It lets in a lot of light and when the sun shade is pulled you cant really see in. As far as the kitchen goes, we love it. we have not cooked a lot of complicated stuff, but I have always had enough room.

I have only two things that I have been real disappointed in. First the couch seems to become less comfortable as time goes along. Second, the slides are not flush with the floor. This would not usually be an issue but as we have overnight into sub-zero weather on numerous nights in Kansas City, I can tell you that there is a definite draft.

If you dont plan on going out in that lovely weather its fine.

On the DT I would point out that you cant get the stacked washer and drier (I think). If you cant I can tell you that the combo unit does not work that well.

David

DMcRaney 03-16-2014 11:04 AM

My 37GT

So, on my 37GT I have done a couple of projects. First I "built" an entertainment center. It is one of the draw backs of the 2014.5 year that there is not a true designated place for the Satellite receiver. It will not fit in the cabinet. it has worked out well so far. Still need to stain it. I never seem to get to the finishing part of my projects done. looking for my pictures to attach on this one, but I can tell you it is in the dead space under the table.

David

DMcRaney 03-16-2014 11:19 AM

My 37GT door

3 Attachment(s)
So, as I was saying earlier we have been on the road for some time now. The weather has been awful. With a toddler we have to be real careful about temps in the coach. One are that is a heat sink is the door. You loose a lot of heat there. So we got a pull down shade that keeps a lot of the heat in.

Because I mellted the bed spreed (long story) I ussed the fabric to build a balance. It has worked out real well, and as an added bonus it blacks out the light. Here is a pic.

it turned out well enough that I went ahead and did the same for the windows in the bedroom. The DW would net let do the back window all the way to the bottom, something about cutting coach trim turned her off. All in all, when the shades are pulled, we have a true blackout. So much so that when the DW was on the road last Tuesday, I got turned around getting up in the middle of the night, got out of bed wrong and went through the closet mirror. Took $38 to fix.

David

DMcRaney 03-16-2014 11:23 AM

My 37Gt floor regesters

I really liked the floor register upgrades yall did so I did mine. Ran into a challenge while cutting. I had a 1/8 inch aluminum sub floor under the wood deck. My multi-tool would not cut through it (at least not anytime soon). So my jig saw with mettle blade and a cutting jig made quick work of it. Did anyone run into this?

David

DMcRaney 03-16-2014 11:45 AM

Winterazation

So we have been camping at Basswood RV near Kansas City since Feb 1st. Things have gone ok, sewage hose froze twice. Fixed with a heat tape and two thermal curtains zip tied around it.

Fresh water hose has been fine, we have the Pirit 50" hose. The reviews were mixed on line, but if you follow the instructions it should be fine. Just have to remember it is not a regular hose.

I also found a great little heater to go in the wet compartment that has worked well at keeping everything flowing. One note, on our trip to DC in November our water pump froze. I spray foamed the dead space under it that has seemed to help.

The coach only has a 30 gallon LP tank, which is fine for most things. This winter has been killer. We went through a tank in less that a week. The cost of dropping a external tank, but it would have cost over $500 just to get the tank. Ferrallgas was charging over $6 a gallon. So the folks in the RV Park where averaging $1000 a refill. We took the opportunity to put in the Cheapheat system. Cost more for installation than it should have,, but we have the choice between LP and Electric heat. Seems to work well. Our electric bill for the month was $250. Still others in the park that were using LP and space heaters had bills as high as $350. the only Draw back is the way we have ours set up, it will only run on shore power.

The one thing I can not fix? The house batteries froze solid. That never occurred to me and unfortunately they are gone. this caused the engine battery to die also, since i was not paying attention over the last few weeks. I will be going to a deep cycle 12 volt battery. I have read about the downsides for this, but we dont dry camp alot, and maintenance free sounds good. If anyone has ideas about this problem, please share.

David

sbleiweiss 03-17-2014 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGShaffer (Post 1969609)
Which CG did you choose, and which spot do you have? We're heading to the area for Labor day this year and have reservations at Deep Creek in Cherokee.

Up the Creek CG in Pigeon Forge; spot 35. No facilities at the small CG; full hookups with fire pit and nice table and chairs on concrete patio; but the nicest most private camping spot we have found yet. Good thing too because all the honky tonk of this area is disappointing to us. Coming back to the camp site makes it better.