iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

happycamperj 11-01-2014 06:31 PM

Purchased a 2014 37GT, with the U-shaped kitchen. We thought with all of the cabinets and drawers that there would be more room, but were surprised to find how small those were , compared to what we traded in. However, it did make for a good time to get rid of some of our "stuff". It would have been nice to put the dishes in an upper cabinet. Paper plates stack up better up on their sides.

bdickson 11-02-2014 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by happycamperj (Post 2293448)
Purchased a 2014 37GT, with the U-shaped kitchen. We thought with all of the cabinets and drawers that there would be more room, but were surprised to find how small those were , compared to what we traded in. However, it did make for a good time to get rid of some of our "stuff". It would have been nice to put the dishes in an upper cabinet. Paper plates stack up better up on their sides.

Our 37GT ddi not have the washer/dryer option installed so I shelved the closet in the bathroom and that is now our pantry.

rvbunz 11-02-2014 08:38 AM

Congrats

Congrats, on you purchase. Hope you enjoy it.

DGShaffer 11-02-2014 12:16 PM

Congratulations on the new GT! I just finished winterizing my DT. Too windy up here in the NorthEast to make an attempt at covering it though. Next weekend I'll give that a shot.

tedgard01 11-02-2014 09:49 PM

Thor Challenger Owners Unite!

Quote:

Originally Posted by happycamperj (Post 2293448)
... 2014 37GT ... We thought with all of the cabinets and drawers that there would be more room, but were surprised to find how small those were , compared to what we traded in ...

Congrats on the new RV.

In regard to the limited shelf space, we agree... I had a stackable washer and dryer installed (which we love) so I did not have the option of using that closet.

Regardless, I did one thing that really helped the cabinet space. The shelves above the sofa are half shelves in that the window shades are located in back and therefore the back half of the shelf is raised. I cut some small 1 x 1's which I used as leggs, and used Velcro to attach some behind the front (on the back of the brace between the doors) and along the back side of the lower shelf. Then I cut some small rectangle shelve boards that set on the leggs. It therefore makes a full shelf the depth of the cabinet and just right for full sized plates, etc. And as they are not permanently attached, if I need to that some out for taller items then that section can be easily removed.

Ted

ctpres 11-03-2014 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedgard01 (Post 2295016)
I cut some small rectangle shelve boards that set on the legs. It therefore makes a full shelf the depth of the cabinet and just right for full sized plates, etc. Ted

Now that is a good, simple, cheap and easy to do idea. Already on my to-do list. We have lots of storage so I will probably do everything but the Velcro part. Also the space under shelf will be great for smaller items that always seem to get buried.

tedgard01 11-03-2014 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2295459)
Now that is a good, simple, cheap and easy to do idea. Already on my to-do list. We have lots of storage so I will probably do everything but the Velcro part. Also the space under shelf will be great for smaller items that always seem to get buried.

Yes. Even things like plastic wrap, sandwich bags, aluminum foil, etc. We even keep the extra sheets for the pull out bed and the drop down bed in the far front cabinet.

Ted

ctpres 11-05-2014 07:56 AM

More Mods Fixes and Upgrades

#21. Friends stopped by ranch in their new coach for a week long visit. He mentioned door being very hard to open sometimes. Just went thru similar problem with our new 37KT and sure enough - exactly the same problem and fix. When screen door used alone the the very end of latch handle catches on a latch plate attached to the door jamb. When main door closes with screen door there is a plastic hook on door that captures handle of screen door so they open and close together. That plastic hook is adjustable up and down. It must press handle down far enough so the latch does not catch on latch plate. To prove if this is your problem - sit on steps inside with one hand on screen door latch and use the free hand to open and close the door. Try with no pressure on screen door handle and again while pushing down on screen door handle. Fix is simple - move door mounted hook down in small increments until screen does not latch and then maybe a tad more

bdickson 11-06-2014 11:48 AM

Can anyone with a 2014 or 15 Challenger with residential refrigerator tell me how many/what type house batteries it came out of the factory with?

tedgard01 11-06-2014 02:19 PM

Thor Challenger Owners Unite!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 2299674)
Can anyone with a 2014 or 15 Challenger with residential refrigerator tell me how many/what type house batteries it came out of the factory with?

Bruce, I'll take a look as soon as I get to the RV to make sure, but there are no separate house batteries specifically for the refrigerator. It simply runs off the inverter. There are two house batteries, which I believe are 6 volt batteries tied together.

BTW, I run both the refrigerator and another separate Dometic freezer in one of the bays. As long as I have the engine running and/or plugged in to shore power, they will both run all the time and the voltage never drops below 13.4 volts. I was sure pleasantly surprised because I thought I would need to run the generator after a few hours of driving in order to keep the house batteries charged. I have had no issues with running down the batteries at all.

On the other hand, if I stop and turn off the engine and don't run the generator, the voltage will drop to about 12 volts after a hour or two.

Ted

bdickson 11-06-2014 03:26 PM

Thanks Ted. As long as the engine is running the alternator is charging the house batteries as well as the chassis battery. And anytime you are plugged in to shore power the inverter is running in passthrough mode and not drawing anything from the batteries.

2 6-volt batteries sounds the same as my 2013 which has a Dometic gas absorption fridge. However I also have an 1800 watt inverter but mine is just powering outlets for the entertainment center and a few others. I was just curious if Thor had added extra battery trays anywhere.

tedgard01 11-06-2014 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 2299891)
Thanks Ted. As long as the engine is running the alternator is charging the house batteries as well as the chassis battery. And anytime you are plugged in to shore power the inverter is running in passthrough mode and not drawing anything from the batteries.

2 6-volt batteries sounds the same as my 2013 which has a Dometic gas absorption fridge. However I also have an 1800 watt inverter but mine is just powering outlets for the entertainment center and a few others. I was just curious if Thor had added extra battery trays anywhere.

No. Just the two in the same bay as the jacks.

Ted

Bweiler 11-07-2014 07:49 AM

I am exploring adding 2 additional 6 volts to to bay - anyone else done this?? it almost looks like you have room if you flip existing batteries sideways. My fridge only runs for an hour before draining past the 12v mark and kicking in auto gen start. It is in the dealership now at the pre 1 yr checkup. This was a noted issue so will be interesting to hear their response. I am already having a repaint done due to them dripping paint underneath the clear coat.

JohnG2013KT 11-07-2014 06:11 PM

Fix for water siphoning?

1 Attachment(s)
Last year, I passed on some info from Thor regarding the siphoning of my 'full' water tank.. Thor's response was that I needed to add a section of 'slightly' bigger hose to the overflow lines . Well I finally got around to it .. I think that I did it as suggested by Thor .. but lo and behold .. it didn't work .. the tank drained every drop out .. I did notice that until the final burp, the level test indicator was showing full? .. Not sure why ... other than it's possible that there was a huge air bubble in the tank.. created when I was filling it? .So .. I tried it again .. but this time opened the faucet in the bathroom .. And this time it seemed to work .. The tank drained the overflow, then stopped .. If anyone can add anything after looking at the pic, I would appreciate as I am not convinced that the problem is solved .. My next option is to add a gate valve to each of the overflow lines .. Which will work, but leaves me somewhat concerned that If I forget to open the valves when filling the tank, I will blow out a line?