iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

ctpres 11-17-2014 07:06 AM

More Mod's Fixes and Upgrades

#26. Discovered that couch slide AC wiring was reversed. TV was on misc breaker/not inverter and the two AC outlets were on the inverter. Removed couch - two screws thru angle bracket into floor with two brackets each side. Removed left service panel to expose electrical junction box. Found wiring error in box and corrected. Input AC lines were color coded red and yellow. If anyone knows which color is inverter let us know so anyone else with same problem can be technically correct.

JohnG2013KT 11-17-2014 09:29 AM

Hi Don ... The Dual Dynamics/Crossfire website is not the best ... I'm having some trouble deciding which version of the crossfire you put on your MH .. It looks to be 85 PSI with stainless steel hoses .. Do you happen to know the exact model # .. Thanks
John

ctpres 11-17-2014 05:01 PM

#26. Tested furnace during walk thru and it put out hot air. Low thirty's this morning and furnace could not keep up - even with two 1,500 watt heaters. Air out hardly warm. Turned on one cooktop burner and had low flame. Checked propane tank valve and found it not fully open. Gotta love the easy fixes.

AKJohn 11-18-2014 08:18 AM

It shouldn't make any difference if your propane tank valve is open 1/2 a turn or all the way to the open stop. The pressure at the regulator is the same and only a small amount of gas will be flowing past the regulator. Did opening your valve really solve your furnace problem?

ctpres 11-18-2014 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKJohn (Post 2315318)
It shouldn't make any difference if your propane tank valve is open 1/2 a turn or all the way to the open stop. The pressure at the regulator is the same and only a small amount of gas will be flowing past the regulator. Did opening your valve really solve your furnace problem?

Maybe there was another problem. Furnace low heat output - opened tank valve all the way and no problem since? Will report here if problem returns.

ctpres 11-19-2014 05:06 PM

#28. Sorry two #26. Dining room table secured to floor for travel with two angle brackets and metal plates screwed to floor. No matter how I positioned table there was very little room to open bathroom door with slide retracted. Removed floor plate closest to center of coach and moved it so table would be about 1/2 inch from wall. Now we can actually use bathroom on the road. I could not relocate both plates as one had a large hole drilled in floor for the bolt. To keep from drilling hole in carpet and floor at the new location I simply cut some off end of bolt.

RVredneck 11-20-2014 02:15 PM

Anyone have some pics of the 37KT with the slides in. Curious how much room there is inside. Travelling with my wife ,three kids and a dog. Hope it's not to cramped!!!

kndogpa 11-21-2014 02:49 AM

We have a 2014 KT and it's the wife,2 kids, 3 dogs and myself. Plenty of room for moving so far as long as everyone isn't trying to do it at once. We have approx 7300 miles and have owned it since 9-2013. Very happy with the rig. I don't have any pics to show you at this time.

sbleiweiss 11-21-2014 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RVredneck (Post 2318410)
Anyone have some pics of the 37KT with the slides in. Curious how much room there is inside. Travelling with my wife ,three kids and a dog. Hope it's not to cramped!!!

No pics here either, but roomy. Only cramped area is in the BR with slide in. Can't get around except by crawling over bed. Difficult to use the DR table with slide in too, and impossible for more than two people.

ctpres 11-21-2014 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RVredneck (Post 2318410)

Hint - If you buy it and need to sleep in king bed with slides in - just sleep with head of bed at rear window.

ctpres 11-21-2014 06:53 AM

#29. Still picking the low hanging fruit. Found several basement compartments with long screws protruding into storage space with potential to scratch or damage bay contents. I just cut em off. I thought about replacing them with shorter ones but decided not to as most of them secured an adjustable part like latch and I didn't want to get involved with trying put them back where they were.

ctpres 11-22-2014 01:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
#30. While installing hardwired surge protector I decided to do a quick visual inspection of wiring at 50 amp connector and ATS. I found two connections at the ATS with insulation captured by clamping screws. Everything worked ok but clamping on the insulation can lead to problems in the future. You usually don't have to remove wire to find problems like this. Bright flashlight and maybe a small mirror - what you should see is some copper just before wire goes under clamp - also insulation should not be stripped back far enough to allow accidental contact.

tedgard01 11-22-2014 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2320879)
#30. While installing hardwired surge protector I decided to do a quick visual inspection of wiring at 50 amp connector and ATS. I found two connections at the ATS with insulation captured by clamping screws. Everything worked ok but clamping on the insulation can lead to problems in the future. You usually don't have to remove wire to find problems like this. Bright flashlight and maybe a small mirror - what you should see is some copper just before wire goes under clamp - also insulation should not be stripped back far enough to allow accidental contact.

In regard to this one, not sure what you are doing, but what are the potential problems you anticipate with the insulation being clamped?

Ted

ctpres 11-23-2014 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedgard01 (Post 2321315)
In regard to this one, not sure what you are doing, but what are the potential problems you anticipate with the insulation being clamped?

Ted

High current/voltage connections require a good clean, full contact and
properly torqued connection. Insulation captured in the clamping area reduces the electrical contact surface. For example the surge protector I installed spec'd 1/2 inch of insulation stripped and connection torqued to 16 in#. The specified 1/2 inch of bare wire insures that the fully inserted wire will achieve maximum contact area. The resistance of a bad connection will lead to heat. Heat generated during hi power transmission will cause more problems. As wire heats it expands and shrinks as it cools. Typically wire is clamped between two surfaces - so when it expands it can only move to sides then when it cools it gets thinner between the clamped points leading to lower ability to pass current resulting in low voltage and more heat. Eventually the connection generates enough heat that it fails. If lucky you only need to replace the device. Worst case is fire. A good common example of heat generated by a bad connection is burned shore power plugs.