iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

tedgard01 11-23-2014 07:27 AM

I see. Thanks.

Ted

ctpres 11-23-2014 03:15 PM

More Mod's Fixes and Upgrades

#31 Probably does not apply to many of you - but our new 37KT came with seat belt receivers bolted solidly in vertical position. Nearly impossible to hook-up seatbelt without a lot of bending and searching. 3/4 in socket to loosen bolt a bit and seconds later we can rotate receiver on both chairs to an angle that is suitably for the passenger.

RVredneck 11-23-2014 08:38 PM

Wow. I just spent a good chunk of the afternoon reading through this whole thread....lots of good info. I also feel a lot better of our decision to upgrade our windsport to a 2015 37KT. I'm planning to go to Elkhart to see our unit in production which should be cool.
A couple questions....do you guys have the 3Mprotective film on the front if your RV? Also we are up in Ontario Canada. Is it a good or bad idea to put a cover on it for the winter??

tedgard01 11-23-2014 09:20 PM

Thor Challenger Owners Unite!

Quote:

Originally Posted by RVredneck (Post 2322575)
... do you guys have the 3Mprotective film on the front if your RV? ...

I bought the protective film, full body, with interior protection on seats, etc. It will help against rock dings. They use it on the higher end coaches.

In regard to the covering, I have heard pros and cons.

In my case, I live in the south (NC, USA), and therefore don't have the same weather as you, and I use it just about every few weeks in the winter and most of the summer months, so it would be more trouble than I would want to put up with. On the other hand, I'd love to have a heated garage to park it in...

Ted

sbleiweiss 11-24-2014 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedgard01 (Post 2322623)
I bought the protective film, full body, with interior protection on seats, etc. It will help against rock dings. They use it on the higher end coaches.

In regard to the covering, I have heard pros and cons.

In my case, I live in the south (NC, USA), and therefore don't have the same weather as you, and I use it just about every few weeks in the winter and most of the summer months, so it would be more trouble than I would want to put up with. On the other hand, I'd love to have a heated garage to park it in...

Ted

We just bought that heated garage you wish for Ted. Got a good price on a new condo garage built just before the recession/crash. We love the convenience of having it indoors and of course don't have to winterize. It is bigger than we need and we are renting out space for boat/RV/classic car storage, etc. I think it will be a good investment economically too. At least I hope it will.

RVredneck 11-24-2014 11:04 AM

I had to pick between new heated garage or new MH........

ctpres 11-24-2014 12:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
#32. One of my problems with camera display in radio is trying to see picture underway. Very bad viewing angle. Solution - tilt radio. Remove dash cover, disconnect all wires - after labeling camera plugs on camera end. I could not get the big cable plug out and was afraid to use much force - so I just worked around it. Remove nut that secures radio to plastic tab. Using radio removal tools pull radio out thru front. Bend housing tabs back flush with top and sides - there probably won't be any bent tabs on bottom as nearly impossible to get at them. Pull housing out thru front - if able to disconnect all wires and the plug, paint top and right side black so housing won't be so visible when done. It will be necessary to trim maybe an 1/16 to 1/8 inch or so off left and right sides of dash frame. Very thin so easy to do with razor blade or very sharp knife. Re-install housing and tilt right side out about 1/2 inch. Bend tabs in front and back of dash trim to hold housing at an angle. Test fit radio and move housing again if needed. I could not paint housing so I just put a strip of black electrical tape on the front side and cut a wedge of black paper on top. Results - much better picture from driving position. Total time less than one hour and zero expnese

rvbunz 11-24-2014 01:53 PM

Hello all;
Well we are looking on putting a forming rally together for the week of 11-16 May 2015 at Lazydays in Tampa. This rally is to officially set up our Thor Motor Coach Owners' Club. At this point no seminars will be scheduled. There will be games, socials, meals and entertainment. Planning on a business meeting close to the end of the rally where we can establish the by-laws, and elect club officers. I have been forming this club on my own and we are up to 267 members from the US and Canada. We have a vast variety of coaches. I contacted Thor and asked if it would be possible to have a Thor representative available and I was told yes. What I need now is to determine the level of interest. In order to establish a sound rally fee I need to know how many would attend. If you know you would attend please send an email to tmcoc@ec.rr.com. If you feel there is a strong possibily you will attend please send an email as well stating so. Once I receive the level of interest and get the rest of my info from Lazydays and entertaimnet group, I'll be able to set the fee and post a registration. This is the second stage of forming the club. I have placed it on the calendar and you can answer the question at the bottom of the event as to whether you may attend. Lets roll.

sbleiweiss 11-25-2014 08:23 AM

For those of you more tech savvy than me, I have been told different things by different Thor dealers. Does the chassis battery charge when the MH is plugged into 50 amp service? 30 amp? 20 amp?

ctpres 11-25-2014 08:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
#33. Hole in the base plate for removable table collects dirt and presents a tripping hazard for heels on some of DW's shoes. I found a #12 solid rubber tapered plug on ebay that solved the problem for about $8.50. #12 plug sticks up just far enough for easy removal and can be walked on without pressing it in so far that it can not be removed easily.

tedgard01 11-25-2014 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 2324184)
For those of you more tech savvy than me, I have been told different things by different Thor dealers. Does the chassis battery charge when the MH is plugged into 50 amp service? 30 amp? 20 amp?

Yes

Ted

sbleiweiss 11-26-2014 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedgard01 (Post 2324919)
Yes

Ted

We found it dead one day in storage while plugged into 20 amp. Dealer said maybe 20 amp wasn't enough to run everything that draws power even while parked, and charge the battery too. Does that make sense?

AKJohn 11-26-2014 08:32 AM

20amp not enough to maintain the batteries in storage? That's BS.

tedgard01 11-26-2014 08:58 PM

Thor Challenger Owners Unite!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 2325257)
We found it dead one day in storage while plugged into 20 amp. Dealer said maybe 20 amp wasn't enough to run everything that draws power even while parked, and charge the battery too. Does that make sense?

One day? What is running? Did you turn the battery disconnect switch off?

I am not sure if it charges the batteries with the disconnect switch off.

Mine is parked beside my house, and I have a 50 amp box installed, so I don't know how long it would run on 20 amp. Regardless, mine has set far longer than one day without running down the batteries, and it was not plugged into anything.

Ted