iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

tedgard01 11-29-2014 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2328021)
#34. Our old coach had the portable surge protector and it was OK but I was sometimes lazy and didn't use it. Also I had concerns about theft and such an expensive item suffering from constant connect/disconnect. So decided to go hardwired this time. Found Surge Guard 34560 on Ebay for $189.00. Biggest problem was, where to install it. Instructions said before ATS or after. After ATS would be ideal as then you get protection for gen and shore power. Our 2015 37KT has some really weird stuff going on with the way things are installed so I couldn't do that without major work. Park power connector is in next to last bay and ATS is in the last. That means gen and park power lines go all the way to the end of coach, go thru ATS and then come back twords the front. Also coming out of ATS the power line leaves basement and runs outside along chassis and then back into basement at the park power connection. Once our coach is out of warranty I will clean that mess up. I just bolted a piece of wood the floor posts for a mounting surface. That put LED lights up high enough to still be seen even with compartment full. Working with that heavy wire was the biggest problem.

Great job!

Ted

sbleiweiss 11-29-2014 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddy5120 (Post 2327300)
I got this hole on mine between the doors, is this what you talking about ? Also can you post a picture of the setup ?
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...ecaaf7ce3e.jpg

You must have a different refrigferator than we do, but I assume that is the hole I am talking about. Didn't it come with a black screw-in thing with a head on it about an inch across to hold the doors closed while screwed in? We are on the road and the only camera we have would be the cell phone. If we take a pix how do we post it?

ctpres 11-29-2014 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 2324184)
For those of you more tech savvy than me, I have been told different things by different Thor dealers. Does the chassis battery charge when the MH is plugged into 50 amp service? 30 amp? 20 amp?

Decided to setup a test and check it out to confirm. Ran chassis battery down to almost 12V. Chassis battery is charged from shore power IF house batteries are not disconnected with the disconnect switch. Disconnect switch off - no batteries charging. Disconnect on - house and chassis batteries are being charged. So if you are wanting to stop battery charge during long term storage, use disconnect switch AND manually disconnect chassis battery. Same thing applies if parked for long time.

ctpres 11-29-2014 02:59 PM

More Mod's Fixes and Upgrades

1 Attachment(s)
#35. I am finding fuses all over the place. Most are close to device - so I just remove fuse and see what doesn't work. Once I know what fuse is for I label it with one of these little tags. Cost less than $3 per 100 on Ebay.

sbleiweiss 11-30-2014 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2328410)
Decided to setup a test and check it out to confirm. Ran chassis battery down to almost 12V. Chassis battery is charged from shore power IF house batteries are not disconnected with the disconnect switch. Disconnect switch off - no batteries charging. Disconnect on - house and chassis batteries are being charged. So if you are wanting to stop battery charge during long term storage, use disconnect switch AND manually disconnect chassis battery. Same thing applies if parked for long time.

Very helpful, thanks. So this gets back to a pet peave of DW. You can't tell by looking at the switch whether the battery disconnect is on or off. Has anyone figured out a work around for this? Either a switch that has a fixed on and off position (like most light switches) or one with a light that lights when on?

ctpres 11-30-2014 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 2329397)
Very helpful, thanks. So this gets back to a pet peave of DW. You can't tell by looking at the switch whether the battery disconnect is on or off. Has anyone figured out a work around for this? Either a switch that has a fixed on and off position (like most light switches) or one with a light that lights when on?

Interesting question. If anyone knows where the relay is that actually does the switching - let us know. In our 2010 Damon the relay was on the firewall in the engine compartment. I haven't spent five minutes under the hood. I did quick look at house battery setup and there are big 12V cables going in every direction, so the actual relay could be anywhere. I would expect it to be somewhere between batteries and converter. Since it clicks when switched maybe it's a job for two - one with good directional hearing.

tedgard01 11-30-2014 08:54 PM

Thor Challenger Owners Unite!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 2329397)

Yes, you can not tell by looking at the switch, but if you click the disconnect switch to disconnect the batteries, you can not turn on the lights in the coach or the outside light, you will not have the light on the convection oven, the camera display will not display the time, the inverter does not turn on, etc. Therefore, a simple way to know may be to simply leave the inside light on, then click the switch. If the light stays on then the house batteries are connected, if they go out, you disconnected the batteries.

Ted

LyonsL 12-01-2014 07:41 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddy5120 (Post 2327300)
I got this hole on mine between the doors, is this what you talking about ? Also can you post a picture of the setup ?
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...ecaaf7ce3e.jpg

I've included photos of the refrigerator lock.

sbleiweiss 12-01-2014 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedgard01 (Post 2330068)
Yes, you can not tell by looking at the switch, but if you click the disconnect switch to disconnect the batteries, you can not turn on the lights in the coach or the outside light, you will not have the light on the convection oven, the camera display will not display the time, the inverter does not turn on, etc. Therefore, a simple way to know may be to simply leave the inside light on, then click the switch. If the light stays on then the house batteries are connected, if they go out, you disconnected the batteries.

Ted

All true Ted, but that doesn't help you if someone just brushes against the switch by accident on the way in or out. It sure would be nice if it had some visual indicator.

tedgard01 12-01-2014 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbleiweiss (Post 2330514)
All true Ted, but that doesn't help you if someone just brushes against the switch by accident on the way in or out. It sure would be nice if it had some visual indicator.

Agree with that. I assume your switch must be on the wall by the stairwell, which is where mine was on my old coach. On my 37GT, the switch is in a cabinet above the door.

Ted

bigdaddy5120 12-01-2014 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyonsL (Post 2330393)
I've included photos of the refrigerator lock.

Thanks . I think I can make that or find one. I think I will call THOR and see if they will send me one.

LyonsL 12-01-2014 08:06 PM

Privacy issue with 2 blinds in the 2015 Thor Challenger 37KT

2 Attachment(s)
I'm new to this group and I've learned a lot from the postings in this thread. I ordered and purchased a new Challenger 37KT in July of this year and have made a few modifications to the coach. I'd like to share an important problem & fix.
This is my 3rd motorhome and each time I buy one I do a "walk around" the coach at night with all of the interior lights on and all of the curtains and blinds closed. I look for gaps in the blinds or curtains that would allow someone to see inside the coach at night.
I found that the rear bedroom window and the kitchen window of the Challenger 37KT do not have side extensions or curtains. That's not a big problem until you stand outside the coach and look through the gap between the window and blind (about 1"). Both of those windows are next to mirrors and when you look through the gaps you can see reflections in the mirrors and you get a very good view of the rooms reflected in those mirrors! For the Challenger 37KT, you can see a reflection of most of the bedroom and also the kitchen / livingroom areas.
For a simple fix, my wife made side curtains for those windows which were very easy to install. We believe they also add a nicer look to the windows. I've attached photos of the side curtains. No more "peeping toms".

tedgard01 12-01-2014 09:33 PM

Thor Challenger Owners Unite!

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyonsL (Post 2331186)
... For a simple fix, my wife made side curtains for those windows which were very easy to install. We believe they also add a nicer look to the windows...

First, if Tom was peeping in our windows, poor guy, probably lost his sight.... (or at least needs strong med's after being board into a mind numbing sickness).

I love your fix. How much does your wife charge?

Is there a weight at the bottom? How did you attach them under the valance?

Ted

ctpres 12-02-2014 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyonsL (Post 2331186)
For a simple fix, my wife made side curtains for those windows which were very easy to install. We believe they also add a nicer look to the windows. I've attached photos of the side curtains. No more "peeping toms".

Great idea for privacy reason PLUS it will block early morning light. I looked at adding the hard side trim just like other windows but gave up when I figured out that it would restrict movement on that side of bed and would create problems using window as emergency exit. The curtain idea is SO SIMPLE. X2 request for more details on how it was done.