iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Thor Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/)
-   -   Thor Challenger Owners Unite! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/thor-challenger-owners-unite-150811.html)

LyonsL 12-02-2014 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedgard01 (Post 2331289)
First, if Tom was peeping in our windows, poor guy, probably lost his sight.... (or at least needs strong med's after being board into a mind numbing sickness).

I love your fix. How much does your wife charge?

Is there a weight at the bottom? How did you attach them under the valance?

Ted

Ted, the wife is a retired seamstress and now she only does work for us!

The curtains are attached to the valance with Velcro. I had to remove the valances and staple Velcro strips to them (using very short staples). The wife sewed matching Velcro strips to the top of the curtains. She wanted an easy way to remove them in case they get dirty or torn.
The bottom of the side curtains are held in place with plastic hold down clips that you can find at most RV dealers or here: RV Designer Collection Side Curtain Hold Down

ctpres 12-02-2014 07:57 AM

37KT shower door question

Which side, left or right, is your door handle on? Our shower enclosure is probably upside down! It came with handle on right and rubber drip guard on top. Not enough clearance to move it to bottom, in fact I had to file some excess material off bottom for proper door closure. I removed top trim and it looks like panels interlock so the whole thing would need to be removed and inverted. Which I think can't be done without removing cabinets!

LyonsL 12-02-2014 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2331568)
Great idea for privacy reason PLUS it will block early morning light. I looked at adding the hard side trim just like other windows but gave up when I figured out that it would restrict movement on that side of bed and would create problems using window as emergency exit. The curtain idea is SO SIMPLE. X2 request for more details on how it was done.

ctpres, It does block all of the early morning light and was much easier than building, covering and installing wooden trim. It does not restrict movement on that side of the bed.
Also, I used your earlier suggestion and moved the valance over the rear bedroom window so we could fully open the door to the side closet (thanks for sharing that). After doing that, you could see that the valance was off-center with the window but the side curtains completely hide that now.

ctpres 12-02-2014 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyonsL (Post 2331589)
Ted, the wife is a retired seamstress and now she only does work for us!

The curtains are attached to the valance with Velcro. I had to remove the valances and staple Velcro strips to them (using very short staples). The wife sewed matching Velcro strips to the top of the curtains. She wanted an easy way to remove them in case they get dirty or torn.
The bottom of the side curtains are held in place with plastic hold down clips that you can find at most RV dealers or here: RV Designer Collection Side Curtain Hold Down

Looked at hold down - does it slip into a pocket at the bottom?

LyonsL 12-02-2014 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2331704)
Looked at hold down - does it slip into a pocket at the bottom?

Yes, the curtains have a pocket hem on the bottom and slide onto the hold down brackets.

ctpres 12-02-2014 10:41 AM

More Mod's Fixes and Upgrades

1 Attachment(s)
#36. No glove box or other decent place for vehicle papers - like license and registration. Easy answer for me - money clip. Less then $1.00 shipping and taxes included on Ebay. Come in stainless black or chrome. Secured to wall with command strip. As it came, papers in plastic holder were a very tight fit in the clip. Ten seconds with needle nose pliers to bend the small/center clip out a bit and done.

JohnG2013KT 12-03-2014 08:49 AM

very interesting .. this has been a sore spot with the wife since day one .. i've got the same setup .. though on mine, there is a white plug .. was wondering if the hole is threaded or did that have to be done to complete the setup ?

JohnG2013KT 12-03-2014 09:32 AM

never mid ... popped off what I thought was a plug and it turned out to be just a simple white plastic screw cover .. common to autos .. .behind it was a torx screw about 1" long .. So now, I'm off to Lowe's to find a bolt and suitable head to use. hmmm . .Now, I'm wondering what if anything that screw was there for? .. If nothing, then why in the heck didn't Thor just go ahead and include the 'fix' in the first place?

ctpres 12-03-2014 10:36 AM

2 Attachment(s)
#37. Only put 50 amp cord away one time and that was enough for me. Looked at all the cord reels I could find and decided on manual Mor/ride REEL56-001 $186 plus tax and free ship from Amazon. Can be mounted with handle on left or right. Bottom is open and that was important. I mounted over the cable hatch as shown in pictures - that allowed me to keep a large bin in the open space to the right. Well constructed. DW tested with no real effort by unrolling and rolling up our 30 foot 50 amp cord. Notice in pic that top of reel is even with bottom of passthru for easy stuff removal. There is a brake on the handle to keep it from unrolling underway. Easy two hand operation - one hand holding rag around cable to clean it and guide it during rollup while the other hand cranks. Installed with four screws straight to bottom of bay in five minutes. One of my ideas on installing was to hang from ceiling to keep space on floor for storage. Factory said NO and after thinking about it I agree - no way four screws would hold all that weight on the road. One reason for low price, there is a new model with a different new and improved handle design. If you want the same price I wouldn't wait to long

sbleiweiss 12-03-2014 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctpres (Post 2331648)
Which side, left or right, is your door handle on? Our shower enclosure is probably upside down! It came with handle on right and rubber drip guard on top. Not enough clearance to move it to bottom, in fact I had to file some excess material off bottom for proper door closure. I removed top trim and it looks like panels interlock so the whole thing would need to be removed and inverted. Which I think can't be done without removing cabinets!

Ours is exactly how you describe and we have leakage at bottom. They added a plastic strip at bottom which helped but not complete solution. Both Thor and a dealer have looked at it, and neither concluded it was upside down.

ctpres 12-03-2014 10:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
#38. Removed and re-installed plastic dash cover for the third time while installing a GPS tracking device. Found hitting the same screw hole thru fabric cover was very difficult. Answer drywall screw anchors. Confirm no wires under current hole and enlarge to suit anchor. I did not drive anchors all the way flush with board. I stopped them roughly flush with top of fabric. Prior coach had cracked cover due to shop overtightening screws. Figured raised anchor head might help prevent that in future.

LyonsL 12-03-2014 02:05 PM

Low Entry Step

1 Attachment(s)
The first (bottom) inside entry step of our Challenger 37KT was lower than the door sill and it was awkward and uncomfortable when entering or exiting the coach. I pulled up the ribbed plastic floor covering, glued & screwed down two pieces of 1/2" plywood and reinstalled the floor covering. Now the step is flush with the door sill and seems more natural to walk on. I did not take a "before" photo but have attached an "after" photo.

ctpres 12-03-2014 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyonsL (Post 2333148)
The first (bottom) inside entry step of our Challenger 37KT was lower than the door sill and it was awkward and uncomfortable when entering or exiting the coach. I pulled up the ribbed plastic floor covering, glued & screwed down two pieces of 1/2" plywood and reinstalled the floor covering. Now the step is flush with the door sill and seems more natural to walk on. I did not take a "before" photo but have attached an "after" photo.

Oh no you beat me to it. Good job - that thing is a real hazard when barefoot. One of those why have they been doing it the same/wrong way for so many years?

Don and Dale 12-03-2014 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyonsL (Post 2331768)
Yes, the curtains have a pocket hem on the bottom and slide onto the hold down brackets.

Tell your wife she did an amazing job. Nice work LyonsL.