iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   New Member Check-In (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f61/)
-   -   New from Chicago (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f61/new-from-chicago-152199.html)

Photousa 02-21-2013 01:48 PM

New from Chicago

Hi, I'm new to this forum and new to RV's. Camped with the family in a cab over and a trailer when we were kids, but don't currently own an RV.
I've been on the lookout for a smaller Class A. A friend of mine owns a Champion Transtar which is a nice sized Class B. Since I don't have a lot of experience with RV's, I thought I would drop in here and seek some help from the experts. I've learned to value the opinion of the experts, it's saved me from a lot of grief over the years.
On a side note, we just had the Boat and RV show here in Chicago a few weeks ago at McCormick Place and it was phenomenal as usual. Thanks

CLIFFTALL 02-21-2013 02:26 PM

Welcome to IRV2. Hope you find an Rv soon and enjoy.
Cliff

Medico 02-21-2013 02:36 PM

https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...298df81aed.gif Glad to meet you.

MSHappyCampers 02-21-2013 02:36 PM

Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us! :dance:

I would suggest that you go over to the "RV Forums" and post questions in the Class A or Class C areas. You'll get far better results there since not many folks hang out here in the Welcome area. :)

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless! :thumb::D

Frankenfingr 02-21-2013 02:45 PM

Just joined myself today. Looking to resume 'tow behind' trailerin' now with an entry level late model full size pick-up, and want thoughts on good, durable, lightweight kit.

Pepper2 02-21-2013 03:18 PM

You will find a ton of info here. Good luck with your search. By the way, the wife and I grew up south of Chicago. In the Kankakee area. They have a great State Park there for camping. Kankakee State Park. Kankakee river runs thru the park.

Frutza 02-21-2013 03:37 PM

Welcome, hunt around this form and your questions will be answered, did you make the camping and Rv show in Rosemont? Of course more trailers than Motor coaches, but all camping, last Time I was at McCormick there were mostly boats, if thats your thing, but welcome and happy hunting

SarahW 02-21-2013 05:10 PM

Howdy and welcome to iRV2! :wavey:

baraff 02-21-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Photousa (Post 1471556)
Hi, I'm new to this forum and new to RV's. Camped with the family in a cab over and a trailer when we were kids, but don't currently own an RV.
I've been on the lookout for a smaller Class A. A friend of mine owns a Champion Transtar which is a nice sized Class B. Since I don't have a lot of experience with RV's, I thought I would drop in here and seek some help from the experts. I've learned to value the opinion of the experts, it's saved me from a lot of grief over the years.
On a side note, we just had the Boat and RV show here in Chicago a few weeks ago at McCormick Place and it was phenomenal as usual. Thanks

Hi and Welcome!
The first thing you need to do is ask yourself how will you use the RV? State Parks, National Parks? You'll benefit by buying something <28'. RV parks or private campground resorts? You can go bigger with more room for the family. Gas or Diesel? Unless you plan on driving a lot, for most folks a Diesel Pusher doesn't make sense financially. (lots of room for debate here)
BTW, we live in the west suburbs. Missed the McCormick show but went to the one in Rosemont last weekend. Watch for Camping World's used RV show, they usually have it up north in Lake in the Hills or someplace.
Hope this helps.

hearsejr 02-21-2013 08:08 PM

Howy I'm very new to here too. welcome aboard, if I can help ya out in any way be sure to let me know.

Bill

Sunnyman1 02-21-2013 09:57 PM

HI and welcome! I am new to this forum myself. Buying a new or used RV is no to tricky you can do it. Do lots of research to know what's a good quality unit, what you want, and need in your camper. I recently purchased a used 5th wheel RV myself. If I help in any way let know.

sdennislee 02-21-2013 10:49 PM

Hi and :greetings10: :welcome: :greetings10:

Photousa 02-22-2013 12:25 PM

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome !!

Photousa 02-22-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frutza (Post 1471686)
Welcome, hunt around this form and your questions will be answered, did you make the camping and Rv show in Rosemont? Of course more trailers than Motor coaches, but all camping, last Time I was at McCormick there were mostly boats, if thats your thing, but welcome and happy hunting

I didn't know that there was a separate RV show in Rosemont or I would have attended. I went to the Boat & RV show at McCormick place and I thought their display of all things RV was impressive, I'm not sure if the RV to Boat display ratio is a 50 / 50 split, but I spent most of my time in the RV section and they seemed to have about everything, from $200K motor coaches to tiny teardrop shaped trailers and everything in between. There was a huge turnout, lots of families. I will most definitely attend the Rosemont RV show next year now what I know about it. It's all of the shows and conventions in Chicago that make the winter here bearable.