iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   New Member Check-In (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f61/)
-   -   Hi from Tennessee (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f61/hi-from-tennessee-157966.html)

Caspian 04-16-2013 09:10 AM

Hi from Tennessee

Hi all,

I'm and Irishman living in beautiful Tennessee and was very happy to find the forum and joined immediately. :dance:

BUT I don't have an RV yet. Been tent camping for years but my wife and I are thinking the time has come to maybe think about a Class C. I'm finding the whole thing a little overwhelming as I used to think putting up a tent was difficult until I got the hang of it.

Been reading Complete Idiot's guide and although great is making me think it's even more daunting and does't help with the myriad of RV choices.:banghead:

Any very basic tips on where to start the whole choosing and buying process would be greatly appreciated.

Hope to become an active member of the forum as I learn more.

Regards,

Casp

flaggship1 04-16-2013 09:19 AM

Welcome to the group. Best advice is to take your time and ask questions here. Next advice...
Try rvbookstore.com - some good books, DVDs and ebooks there. Next advice - don't spend your RV money there - but a little careful review and you will find some items that will help get you acclimated and help with the process.

Good luck!

CLIFFTALL 04-16-2013 09:31 AM

Welcome to IRV2. Good luck with your search.
Cliff

msbarth 04-16-2013 09:38 AM

What part of Tennessee do you live in? I am in Obion, TN., located in the upper left corner of TN. by the Mississippi River and the Kentucky state border.

Caspian 04-16-2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msbarth (Post 1533398)
What part of Tennessee do you live in? I am in Obion, TN., located in the upper left corner of TN. by the Mississippi River and the Kentucky state border.

Hi,

We are just south of Nashville. So many beautiful places to see in Tennessee before even venturing across the state line, but have big plans once we can figure how an RV!

Caspian 04-16-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flaggship1 (Post 1533375)
Welcome to the group. Best advice is to take your time and ask questions here. Next advice...
Try rvbookstore.com - some good books, DVDs and ebooks there. Next advice - don't spend your RV money there - but a little careful review and you will find some items that will help get you acclimated and help with the process.

Good luck!

Thanks, heading over there immediately

JohnRR 04-16-2013 11:30 AM

:welcome:

MSHappyCampers 04-16-2013 11:32 AM

Hi Casp! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the bunch! :dance:

There's a lot to consider when buying your first RV. When we bought our first 5er back in 2001 we had never even been inside an RV before! :facepalm: We took it out to a local RV park twice and realized we had bought something we couldn't live with! :eek: We then had to take it back to the dealer and swap for another 5er that was what we should have had to start with! That was a VERY expensive lesson! :banghead:

I would suggest you go to a large RV show and spend a lot of time going through everything there that would be within your price range. If there's no RV show coming up anywhere around you then visit several dealers and do the same thing. Even if you plan to buy a used unit you can at least find out the things you want.

Unless you just gotta have a brand new one, you might want to consider a used one that someone else has taken the HUGE depreciation hit that comes when you take one off the dealer lot!

BTW, I would suggest that you post specific questions over in the appropriate areas of the forum for best results. Not many folks hang out here in the Welcome area! :)

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless! :thumb::D

stonekeepers 04-16-2013 02:59 PM

Hi Caspian,

Welcome to the forum. It is a great resource and there are many helpful people here to answer your questions, so don't hesitate to ask.

We also live SE of Nashville in Cannon county. Everyone has different camping needs, so the best advice I can offer is to read as much as you can and look at lots of different models and floor plans to determine what will work for you.

We recently traded our Class B Sprinter van camper for a 2011 Forest River Sunseeker 3010DS class C. There is quite a bit of difference in the two coaches. We loved the Sprinter and put over 75000 miles on it in about 5 years, but our needs changed and we found that in retirement we needed more room.

You can find just about any size/price camper around and it can be an overwhelming task. Be cautious of deals that sound too good to be true (especially on Craigslist). There are some good deals on used campers, but also some folks trying to scam.

Medico 04-16-2013 03:08 PM

https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...298df81aed.gif Welcome and glad to meet you!

Caspian 04-16-2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stonekeepers (Post 1533675)
Hi Caspian,

You can find just about any size/price camper around and it can be an overwhelming task. Be cautious of deals that sound too good to be true (especially on Craigslist). There are some good deals on used campers, but also some folks trying to scam.

Thanks, and great to meet you. Just hope we can identify the deals from the scams, but will probably end up buying through a dealer. I do want to take it real slow though and try to get something that meets as many of our needs as possible.:cool:

Caspian 04-16-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers (Post 1533487)
Hi Casp! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the bunch! :dance:

I would suggest you go to a large RV show and spend a lot of time going through everything there that would be within your price range. If there's no RV show coming up anywhere around you then visit several dealers and do the same thing. Even if you plan to buy a used unit you can at least find out the things you want.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless! :thumb::D

Thanks for the welcome. No show in this area I think until January time, but not a rush and there are a few big dealerships to check out. Our goal is to be up and ready for the 2014 season. It's so exciting I can hardly wait, although driving it is still worrying me a little!!!:blink:

Bruce C 04-17-2013 02:52 AM

:welcome:

stonekeepers 04-17-2013 06:16 AM

We looked at all the dealerships in the area and finally bought our coach at Bankston. There is a great guy there named Phil and he is very patient and will answer any questions you have and even help you with the driving. They carry Forest River brands, but sometimes have used campers of other brands, too. It is a very small dealership, but one of the most helpful saleman ever. He even talked us through winterizing over the phone. And, the thing I really liked is that we spent several weeks looking at the same camper and he never pressured us at all. I did some comparison shopping and I could have saved a little by ordering from rvdirect, but we decided to support the local economy. :-)

I found a unit that I sort of liked at Camping world, but got a bad vibe from the salesman there. It was kind of odd...not any one thing in particular, but he was just a little too pushy for me. Cullum and Maxey seemed nice and were not pushy, but we didn't find the floor plan we liked there. (they were not as helpful as Phil, but did let you wander through lots of units without pressuring you to buy) :-)

Keep us posted with your progress and enjoy the hunt!

Caspian 04-17-2013 07:52 AM

That's really helpful. We are planning on checking out Cullum and Maxey and Camping world this weekend. There is also a place in Lebanon I want to swing by. Not heard of Bankston but glad of the recommendation. Will put that on the visitation list too. Hard thing will be not buying too quickly as we won't really need it until next year, but who knows!!

charlie 62 04-17-2013 05:08 PM

Just remember -- If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is !!!!!

stonekeepers 04-17-2013 06:23 PM

Bankston is a very small dealership just before you get to Cullum & Maxey. It sits in front of one of the campgrounds and actually stores some of their inventory in the campground. Their headquarters is in Alabama. So far, we love our new camper. Getting ready to head out...just not sure exactly where. :-) sometimes, we just pick a direction and see which way the wind blows. :-)

There is another place down I-24 past Murfreesboro. We went there, but they didn't really seem interested in helping us. They mostly had trailers with a few used units. It's really fun to shop and look and dream.

Caspian 04-17-2013 09:43 PM

Know exactly where Bankston is now. Planning to visit it and the other two this Saturday just to get a feel of what we might want. We almost went to that I-24 place you mentioned on Tuesday when we were in Murfreesboro, but couldn't see much class c inventory online so decided against it.

Sounds like a lot of fun to go where the wind blows you. Can't wait to be able to do that. Bon voyage.

Glassalley52 04-18-2013 03:31 AM

Welcome. Have you considered renting an RV to get a "feel" for what one would be like to own?

Caspian 04-18-2013 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glassalley52 (Post 1535523)
Welcome. Have you considered renting an RV to get a "feel" for what one would be like to own?

Great idea. I was thinking about class c, because I wasn't sure about being able to drive a class A, :confused: but if I don't try I won't know. Thanks.

Steve Ownby 04-18-2013 10:01 AM

Hey Caspian,

Another Tennesseean here, from the Eastern end of the state (Gatlinburg). That's home to us although we have lived full time in our motorhome for 6 years now.

You will be ahead of the game if you do some homework before you go out looking. You should really decide how, when and where you see yourselves using a motorhome. You are coming from a tenting background, as did I, so do you envision going to the same type places with generally no hookup or is this to be a move to more comfortable living with full hookups. You may want to do some of both. You choice of a vehicle should reflect your intended usage. There are a mind numbing array of choices. Here are some questions you should ponder before heading out with your checkbook.

1. Type of campgrounds.
2. What type of temperatures.
3. 30amp or 50amp power
4. Size of tanks; both fuel and holding
5. How long at a time do you plan to live in it.
6. Fuel required
7. Generator or not
8. Heating/ cooling requirements
9. Creature comfort level, basic or luxury for usually how many people
10. Budget

The above basic questions will open the door on a host of subordinate questions. You can drill down to as specific a level as you like or just get some basic ideas to explore. If you answer these questions then the size of unit and class A or C will become much more apparent.

Caspian 04-18-2013 10:17 AM

Hi Steve,

Thanks for those really helpful questions. Love Gatlinburg. My wife and I married there and we make at least one trip up there every year. Going to have to pick your brains on campsites in your area once we make a decision, although just in the fact finding stage at the moment.

The best question is budget. You've heard of the beer budget and champagne tastes!

I also never thought about the 30amp/50amp question, but a quick Google filled in the knowledge gap so thanks for mentioning that.

So much to think about, so many RV's and so many roads to drive down once we make the decision. Looking forward to the third part! :)

Bama Fan 04-18-2013 12:56 PM

Welcome to the forum. Good luck finding something. We went from a tt we had a long time ago to a recently purchased a class (35 ft) Had some reservations about something that size but after driving it some I was very comfortable and was glad I got an a class.(lot of room) :D

Caspian 04-18-2013 02:35 PM

Thanks for the welcome. If I get a class a, it will be white knuckle time for everyone on the road! :)

stonekeepers 04-18-2013 05:32 PM

We opted for a Class C because it seemed to meet our needs better. The Class C has air bags, some A's do not. The C has the overhead storage and they all have driver side doors. Getting in and out of the C seemed easier for us since we don't have to climb up steep stairs.

Ours is 31 foot long, so it's not tiny, but still small enough to fit in most campsites at state parks and small campgrounds. We have grown children, so that was not a consideration for us, but when our kids were small, we had a C back then because they slept more kids (we had four and usually carried a few friends).

The mileage is not that much different from an A. People who have A's rarely downsize to C's, but people who have C's seem to love them. :-)

Forest River has a new unit that they are calling a crossover. It's a small class A. We both felt comfortable with driving the C and loved the floor plan and storage, so this one was easy for us.

The hard part of our latest decision was actually whether to trade in the Sprinter Van camper. Ours was 21ft and had no slides. It got incredible (22) mpg and we could park it anywhere. We put about 75K miles on it and had great adventures. But, the comfort level was extremely lacking. It was great for driving, but not for "living".

DH retired last year and my job will be going part time in May and eliminated in September, so we are looking at more extended trips than just weekends and a couple of summer vacations. We couldn't figure out any way to add space to the van. The C is perfect for us.

Choosing a camper is like choosing a house. Where you want to park it is important, how many folks in your family makes a difference. So many variables...so many coaches to consider. There is not a right answer, but many that will be close. :-)

sdennislee 04-18-2013 09:02 PM

Hi and :greetings10: :welcome: :greetings10:

It can't be that hard or confusing since I am able to do it :)

Caspian 04-19-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stonekeepers (Post 1536192)
We opted for a Class C because it seemed to meet our needs better. The Class C has air bags, some A's do not. The C has the overhead storage and they all have driver side doors. Getting in and out of the C seemed easier for us since we don't have to climb up steep stairs.

Ours is 31 foot long, so it's not tiny, but still small enough to fit in most campsites at state parks and small campgrounds. The C is perfect for us.

Choosing a camper is like choosing a house. Where you want to park it is important, how many folks in your family makes a difference. So many variables...so many coaches to consider. There is not a right answer, but many that will be close. :-)

We're running over to Opry Mills area tomorrow, but only for reconnoissance. We are definitely thinking C so far and I like your choice of 31'. That should be just right if we want a little space.

Amazing that in such a short time and with thanks to this forum I am starting to learn what I might be leaning towards. Youtube is also a great source as well. I've seen a Jayco Greyhawk which so far is my ideal, but new, it is a little out of our budget, so it will be interesting to see what we come up with.

stonekeepers 04-20-2013 06:10 AM

We bought a 2011 that had only 3700 miles on it. It looks new, but the price was considerably less. The advantage of a late model used unit is that the prior owner would have had to deal with any warranty issues. So far, ours has been great.

The internet makes shopping for RV's much easier. The one thing I discovered is that you can't "smell test" them. I found a camper that I really liked at a huge consignment dealer in Louisiana. The price was incredible and it was exactly what we needed. We drove all the way down there and the thing smelled like a cat litter box. There was no way it could be disinfected. Too bad you can't capture and post smells online. :-)

Should be a nice day for shopping today. And, if you find something you can't resist, there are lots of great places to camp in Tennessee on the weekends.

skstrickland 04-20-2013 06:59 AM

Hey Neighbor, welcome to a very friendly place! We're from eastern NC. We recommend:
1) RV Shows and/or several RV dealers. There is a big RV show up in Hershey, Pa this fall. Here's the link America's Largest RV Show - Public Info
2) IRV2. There is alot of good advice here and many folks who are eager to share it.
3) Rent a RV first this will help you decide what works best for you
4) rvbookstore.com DVDs. I'm not a big reader so I'd just be wasting $ if I bought How to RV books
5)Enjoy the process

Hope to see you around the campfire!

RanCarr 04-20-2013 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caspian (Post 1533405)
Hi,

We are just south of Nashville. So many beautiful places to see in Tennessee before even venturing across the state line, but have big plans once we can figure how an RV!

We're a little southeast of Nashville. Maybe our paths will cross. :) Our favorite local campgrounds are Seven Points just outside of Nashville and Poole Knobs in LaVergne.

Caspian 04-20-2013 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stonekeepers (Post 1537768)
The price was incredible and it was exactly what we needed. We drove all the way down there and the thing smelled like a cat litter box. There was no way it could be disinfected. Too bad you can't capture and post smells online. :-)

Should be a nice day for shopping today. And, if you find something you can't resist, there are lots of great places to camp in Tennessee on the weekends.

LOL on the smells. That is something we are worried about on buying online. I'm sure it won't take them too long to experience smells online, although whether that would be a good thing, I'm not sure :facepalm:

Buying something today is what worries me, but you are right, lots of wonderful places locally to explore in more comfort than we've been doing up until now!

The complete idiot's guide has a great line saying don't buy on impulse because you're worried you won't ever find a deal like that again, the rv is NOT Judy Garland's ruby slippers!:D

Caspian 04-20-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skstrickland (Post 1537793)
Hey Neighbor, welcome to a very friendly place! We're from eastern NC. We recommend:
1) RV Shows and/or several RV dealers. There is a big RV show up in Hershey, Pa this fall. Here's the link America's Largest RV Show - Public Info
4) rvbookstore.com DVDs. I'm not a big reader so I'd just be wasting $ if I bought How to RV books

Thanks so much for the welcome. This is a wonderful, friendly and helpful forum even when I don't even have an RV yet!

I'd really like to go to one of the big rv shows. I think there is a Nashville one coming up early next year.

As for books, my problem is that I am a big reader, but the more I read on RV's the more confused I get! :eek:

Caspian 04-20-2013 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RanCarr (Post 1537804)
We're a little southeast of Nashville. Maybe our paths will cross. :) Our favorite local campgrounds are Seven Points just outside of Nashville and Poole Knobs in LaVergne.

We just live about a half hour from Long Hunter which I guess is on the other side of Poole Knobs. I'll have to check out that half of the lake.

Our favorite is Defeated Creek. Although we have always tent camped there, most people are in RV's of one kind or another. Love that area and kayaking on the lake.