iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   New Member Check-In (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f61/)
-   -   Well, we jumped into the deep end...... (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f61/well-we-jumped-into-the-deep-end-159595.html)

jnp_macklin 04-30-2013 07:33 AM

Well, we jumped into the deep end......

Greetings everyone!

We're new to Motorcoach's, but no stranger to camping and love to travel.

We decided to pull the trigger on a 1998 Georgie Boy "Pursuit" 31 foot coach earlier this month, and are anticipating taking delivery of it this weekend. Graduating to a motorcoach was something I never thought we would do, but the opportunity presented itself, and we took it.

We say goodbye to our faithful Hybrid Travel Trailer that has served us well for the last six year, and take comfort that she will be in good care with her new owner. I know they are just as excited to have her, as we are excited to get the coach to "home base".

The "Pursuit" has been stationary at a permanent campsite in northern Kentucky for the past 6 years. The previous owner started and ran the power-train and Onan 4000 generator at load, for about 2 hours at the beginning and end of every season, to keep things lubricated, moving and prevent problems that arise from lack of use. He replaced the standard and deep cell batteries earlier this year, and the engine turns right over. All 6 tires were replaced when the coach was parked on its permanent site. They were covered and show no signs of dry rot, or sun damage.

She has a Ford chassis with the 460cid engine with only 18,000 miles on her and is 95% original/unmolested. I'm not expecting a completely trouble free rejuvenation of this coach, but given its condition; any repairs should be pretty straight forward and, if done properly fit within the coach's original design.

She has no slides, and I like that on a "first coach" just simply because it's one less thing to go wrong. We have a few external lights that are out, and I'm attributing that to its prior permanent location with minimal movement on the road.

We bring it home Saturday, and start the transition from travel trailer to motor coach RV'ing. I look forward to reading and learning from everyone else's mistakes, because I'm sure I'll make enough of my own.

Petro 04-30-2013 08:06 AM

Pete & Jen

:welcome:
Congratulations on the purchase of your first coach. We are glad you joined us. From my personal experience I would double check on the tires. Not having any visible signs of age can be misleading. 6 to 8 years is about the average lifespan of tires that are exercised regularly and I believe a tire sitting that long may cause problems out on the road later. JMHO. Browse the forums that interest you and don't be afraid to ask questions. We have a great group here who like to help when they can.

Don

MSHappyCampers 04-30-2013 08:14 AM

Hi Pete & Jen! Welcome to IRV2! It's great to have you join us! :dance:

Congrats on the new rig! We bought our MH last year after pulling a 5er for 10 years and we love it! I know you will have her in tip-top shape in no time at all! One thing about a MH, there seems to always be something that needs working on!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless! :thumb::D

JohnRR 04-30-2013 09:01 AM

CLIFFTALL 04-30-2013 09:18 AM

Welcome to IRV2.

Cliff

jnp_macklin 04-30-2013 09:39 AM

Thanks all for the warm welcomes....

I'm hoping to get a little bit more use out of the coach, than we got from the travel trailer over the past couple of years. Time and busy schedules just got away from us....

Daughter is halfway through with high school and is very active in marching band, I'm a band dad and the photographer for the marching band, so I am always following them around, wherever they go. I'm thinking tailgating at a few football games and competitions will be in order this fall.:popcorn:

Son is autistic, and believe it or not, he LOVES camping! Enjoys the outside, but like to curl away in his corner of the RV and watch videos to decompress. We're fortunate enough to be able to be flexible with scheduling of activities and routines, and when the camper appears outside our house, he knows that we're going somewhere and is ready to go at a moments notice. Although fruit snacks and lego's aren't what we grownups refer to as the "essentials"....:facepalm:

I'm hoping that the ability to jump in and go, will be enough of an enticement to make plans for weekend getaways to neighboring areas, state parks, etc. We've made some great friends along the way..

Medico 04-30-2013 02:03 PM

https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...298df81aed.gif Welcome and glad to meet you!

leadfoot3 04-30-2013 05:02 PM

I had a 97 pursuit for 15 years......loved it.....also the tires were 15 years old when I replaced them, too many people parrot each other on this forum on tires and when to replace them.............enjoy your new to you motor home.

HHg 04-30-2013 05:11 PM

I always thought working on the coach was just a part of the hobby/lifestyle. Congrats on your purchase, and wishing you many happy miles.

Hhg :dance:

sdennislee 05-02-2013 12:48 AM

Hi and :greetings10: :welcome: :greetings:

Bruce C 05-02-2013 02:49 AM

87bounder 05-02-2013 11:11 AM

Congrats and welcome to iRV2!

Glassalley52 05-02-2013 11:29 AM

Welcome.

historyljc 05-04-2013 10:03 AM

Welcome Pete. Hope you have fun and no trouble with your new coach.